New stadium meeting with RBC (4 Viewers)

TheRoyalScam

Just to add balance to my rants I blame Sisu for not getting a deal on the Ricoh before the Wasps shitstorm, both them and the council have shown huge incompetence beyond any business sense.
Fisher in particular rubbed every fucker up the wrong way which caused most of this crap and he should be ashamed and his business humiliation is now complete.

how that twat would ever get a job with another company is well nigh impossible, I'd think , but Poundland may need a new Store cashier one day you never know

Perhaps you could explain exactly what 'huge incompetence' the council have shown?

The Reverend Skyblue

Yup. And what about Grendel? What about when I asked him if a rugby club (okay, I asked about Northampton, and he scoffed with delight) took The Arena and left the football club high-and-dry due to SISU's high-risk posturing?

I was laughed out of town with his only-game-in-town, white-elephant, council-baffoon diatribe.

Well, quelle sur-fucking-prise. Look where we are...

I remember saying well before it happened about London Welsh who were playing at Oxford and said I wouldn't put it past another London club coming our way.

i could dig it out but I have a life

The Reverend Skyblue

Surely it's imcompetant not to do a deal with the local football club that the stadium was built for just because of a clash of egos.

there was a deal to be done, but no let's bring in a franchise from London with a much less potential footfall from the football club if it could have grown and become successful .

if I lived in Cov I'd be at the polling station before any fucker else to vote them out tomorrow.

just my opinion and I respect any opposite view, but I just can't see past it being done out of spite

Grendel

Yup. And what about Grendel? What about when I asked him if a rugby club (okay, I asked about Northampton, and he scoffed with delight) took The Arena and left the football club high-and-dry due to SISU's high-risk posturing?

I was laughed out of town with his only-game-in-town, white-elephant, council-baffoon diatribe.

Well, quelle sur-fucking-prise. Look where we are...

To be fair I was using the context that according to the likes of you the assets were actually worth something.

According to the likes of you;

- the charity must get the money back
- the Ricoh is a goldmine worth far more than the price of sale
- the council are making money without the club anyway

So in the end the place is sold for less than half the cheap value and the lease extended 6 fold

If that's not a white elephant tell me what is.

The whole lot sold for less that Freddie Eastwoods contract with us - shame we weren't given the opportunity to buy it.

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
Unfortunately there is no commentary in the accounts regarding the fluctuations from year to year. Part of it will be because of cup runs (eg Chelsea? (cant remember the year), but also JPT semi would fall in to that ), some will be because of relegation from the Championship so ticket prices, crowds & tv money lower, some will be because prize money and solidarity payments lower in L1, maybe some increase because of the 125 year celebrations? Attendances 2009 and 2010 17k? But like I say we are left to make own reasons as to why

interestingly the figure for 2010 of match 9.29m and commercial 1.66m in the 2010 accounts became match 4.36m and commercial 6.59m in the comparatives in the 2011 accounts.

Last edited:

skybluetony176

To be fair I was using the context that according to the likes of you the assets were actually worth something.

According to the likes of you;

- the charity must get the money back
- the Ricoh is a goldmine worth far more than the price of sale
- the council are making money without the club anyway

So in the end the place is sold for less than half the cheap value and the lease extended 6 fold

If that's not a white elephant tell me what is.

The whole lot sold for less that Freddie Eastwoods contract with us - shame we weren't given the opportunity to buy it.

Remind me again of how much debt we took on as part of the Freddie Eastwood purchase?

SkyBlue_Bear83

Unfortunately there is no commentary in the accounts regarding the fluctuations from year to year. Part of it will be because of cup runs (eg Chelsea? (cant remember the year), but also JPT semi would fall in to that ), some will be because of relegation from the Championship so ticket prices, crowds & tv money lower, some will be because prize money and solidarity payments lower in L1, maybe some increase because of the 125 year celebrations? Attendances 2009 and 2010 17k? But like I say we are left to make own reasons as to why

interestingly the figure for 2010 of match 9.29m and commercial 1.66m in the 2010 accounts became match 4.36m and commercial 6.59m in the comparatives in the 2011 accounts.

The last championship year is the 2012, so our last two years in the championship our match day income seems tiny compared to the seasons before and I'm not seeing a good reason for it. I'd guess its a bit of juggling between the two, so what was considered a match day income in the 2010 accounts counts as a commercial income in the 2011 accounts?

Grendel

Just edited your post for accuracy, old lad

Except I'm not wrong am I?

The stadium was in most people's eyes like shopping in Waitrose. In the end it's the Costcutters of the stadium world - unless of course your suggesting it was sold for less than its true worth?

shy_tall_knight

Surely it's imcompetant not to do a deal with the local football club that the stadium was built for just because of a clash of egos.

there was a deal to be done, but no let's bring in a franchise from London with a much less potential footfall from the football club if it could have grown and become successful .

if I lived in Cov I'd be at the polling station before any fucker else to vote them out tomorrow.

just my opinion and I respect any opposite view, but I just can't see past it being done out of spite

was a unanimous vote who should we vote for

malvernhills

Just a couple of thoughts to slot in between the rants and this may well be adding 2 + 2 to get 5 , however.... For arguments sake (hell it is a forum after all) .... if SISU are going to build a new stadium they need: a supportive local council (CCC = no; Rugby BC = possibly); they need good infrastructure links that they won't want to pay for (rules out Ryton?); they would need to do something to sweeten any deal with the local population (e.g. provide access to sports facilities in an area ripe for redevelopment and where these are acknowledged as being in short supply?); and need good existing transport links..

The Rugby Borough Council website has two key development areas which they have earmarked to build homes; sporting facilities and commercial zones: Gateway (which is North of Rugby) and Radio (which is East). The Rugby Radio area is a vast site 473 hectares (1168 acres) which has 24 hectares set aside for "formal open spaces and sports pitches" and is very close to the M1 jct 18. Rugby BC are already beginning to tear up the local roads and have this area earmarked as part of their Sports Facilities and Playing Pitches Strategy (2010).

If I were really looking at developing a site with a supportive local council, and didn't mind moving just under 14 miles from Earl Street (less than half the distance to Northampton!), this would certainly be worth looking at.

Are SISU planning to "do a Wasps" in Rugby?

Links: http://www.rugbyradiostation.com/do...AL Rugby Exhibition - Oct 2014 A4 for web.pdf
http://www.rugby.gov.uk/downloads/f...nd_playing_pitches_strategy-executive_summary

I've got some KML files (i.e. Google Maps files) for Rugby BC; CCC; and the Rugby Radio site but have nooooo idea how to attach them :)

Also, in the spirit of full disclosure: I don't have a mate that works for the club and I haven't overheard any conversations in McDonalds or KFC. This is just what I would look at if I really wanted to build a new site, had no possibility of achieving anything in the Coventry area (i.e. actually in Coventry) and didn't give a flying one about my existing customers.

Mary_Mungo_Midge

Except I'm not wrong am I?

The stadium was in most people's eyes like shopping in Waitrose. In the end it's the Costcutters of the stadium world - unless of course your suggesting it was sold for less than its true worth?

No. You were wrong. CCFC were 'the only show in town'. They weren't. How much more wrong could you be?

Are you Muhammad Saeed al-Sahhaf?

Grendel

No. You were wrong. CCFC were 'the only show in town'. They weren't. How much more wrong could you be?

Are you Muhammad Saeed al-Sahhaf?

At the price they were offered it for yes they were.

TheRoyalScam

But they weren't dealing with 'the local football club' were they? They were trying to negotiate with a failing hedge fund.

I can assure you that it's not down to 'ego' or 'spite' - it's simply that they were unable to trust SISU, and had a duty to protect a community investment. Dealing with SISU was like 'trying to nail jelly to a wall' - the terms of what had been agreed one day was changed the following day (presumably after JS's objections). If you're dealing with someone who can't negotiate in an open, honest and transparent way, then no matter how hard you've tried there comes a point where you have to simply walk away.

You naively suggest that you'd like to 'vote them out tomorrow', however there has always been cross-bench support from 100% of councillors regardless of which party they belonged to whenever the Ricoh/ACL was debated. So how do you propose voting them out exactly?

Gynnsthetonic

At the end of the day why don't the owners ask CCC for some identifiable land in Coventry because I and a lot of others will never go to watch CCFC in Rugby District, I see they are trying to develop waste land where the old Courtaulds used to be, why could CCC come out and say if you want you can have some of this land for a new 18000 stadium with hotel and sports centre attached, great location as well. Never gonna happen I know.

egastap

At the price they were offered it for yes they were.

So you KNOW that they were offered it? Could it just be that during the negotiations, which are a two way dialogue, that WASPs brought up the lease change arrangement? Let's use the analogy of you selling your car. This outfit, called SISU comes along, and says they have no intention of buying the car and they tell the world they will buy a car elsewhere. Meanwhile, another prospective purchaser comes along and says the price is right but they would like to buy it over a term of xxx years. As that was the only offer on the table, and you didn't want, or need the hassle of keeping that car you let it go. Or are you saying you would then go back to the original potential purchaser (SISU) and tell them they have almost reached a sale with WASPS and could they match it? I don't think so! Now, in reality........I know just as little as you as to what went on at those negotiations, but I'll bet my version is closer to the mark than yours.

Grendel

So you KNOW that they were offered it? Could it just be that during the negotiations, which are a two way dialogue, that WASPs brought up the lease change arrangement? Let's use the analogy of you selling your car. This outfit, called SISU comes along, and says they have no intention of buying the car and they tell the world they will buy a car elsewhere. Meanwhile, another prospective purchaser comes along and says the price is right but they would like to buy it over a term of xxx years. As that was the only offer on the table, and you didn't want, or need the hassle of keeping that car you let it go. Or are you saying you would then go back to the original potential purchaser (SISU) and tell them they have almost reached a sale with WASPS and could they match it? I don't think so! Now, in reality........I know just as little as you as to what went on at those negotiations, but I'll bet my version is closer to the mark than yours.

Terrific analogy. Other than Mr Sisu had been told hell would freeze over before he could buy the car. Also he was a trifle irritated as the car had been leased for 10 years at a rate you'd lease a jaguar for and the car in question is s fiesta.

Otis

Lib dems, greens,independents, but please don't vote UKIP, none of us deserve that shower.i don't live in Cov but I know for sure there is more than two choices
My MP is the very honest, honourable and decent chap, Geoffrey Robinson.

Because he is so honest and so decent, he will obviously be getting my vote tomorrow.

Astute

Terrific analogy. Other than Mr Sisu had been told hell would freeze over before he could buy the car. Also he was a trifle irritated as the car had been leased for 10 years at a rate you'd lease a jaguar for and the car in question is s fiesta.

Just like 'UNENCUMBERED' which CCC couldn't afford to do even if they wanted to. It would also have been state aid. But you never mention any of it. You also insult anyone who has anything to do with CCC including workers. And there are a lot of them. Then you wonder why people accuse you of being biased.

Grendel

Just like 'UNENCUMBERED' which CCC couldn't afford to do even if they wanted to. It would also have been state aid. But you never mention any of it. You also insult anyone who has anything to do with CCC including workers. And there are a lot of them. Then you wonder why people accuse you of being biased.

Why couldn't they have sold as unencumbered? What has state aid got to do with it?

Astute

Why couldn't they have sold as unencumbered? What has state aid got to do with it?

I feel another stupid argument with Grendel playing the fool coming on again :(

So who would have paid the loan off then? As we all know it was what they wanted. Or are you going to change the meaning of unencumbered? It would have been state aid as they would have paid off a large loan for no benefit to the tax payer but a hedge fund in charge of a football club they took a punt on and failed.

Grendel

I feel another stupid argument with Grendel playing the fool coming on again :(

So who would have paid the loan off then? As we all know it was what they wanted. Or are you going to change the meaning of unencumbered? It would have been state aid as they would have paid off a large loan for no benefit to the tax payer but a hedge fund in charge of a football club they took a punt on and failed.

What are you on about? Do you know what the word actually means?

Ah you actually don't. You've googled it and misinterpreted the issue - the outstanding loan was not the issue.

It is also worthy of note that there is no evidence this is what they wanted - the only person who said it was washing her face at the time.

Last edited:

duffer

So you agree then for the 2 years they weren't obsessed by it? So what makes you think they currently are? and what have they done since Wasps brought the Ricoh? 1 meeting with RBC, again doesn't sound obsessed to me.

I don't understand your second point, presumably it's aimed at me and attempting to be clever, doesn't almost everyone agree that it's terrible that the club can't now buy the Ricoh? I most certainly do. The only difference being some blame the council for selling it and others Blame sisu for not buying it, for sabotaging any attempt to get hold of it and for making it as unattractive to continue to own for ccc/higgs as possible and some blame both to varying degrees.

Noggin, the thing here is that you're taking your opinion that the new stadium makes no financial sense, and saying stuff like you can't understand the thought processes of those who would disagree. That's a bit of a cheap dig, imho, so I had a cheap one back.

As for the meeting with RBC, it's more than they've seemingly done up to now, and if you read the minutes it's clear they're making some sort of case to RBC (and that RBC aren't entirely averse to the idea). You might think it's a bluff, but again that's an opinion - I'm not so sure. If you accept that not being able to buy into the Ricoh is fairly dire for the club, then surely it's not too big a step to see that there might be the possiblity of CCFC moving elsewhere.

I never thought the club would be daft enough to move out to Northampton, and yet despite all of the logical arguments to the contrary they did so. This might well be an elaborate bluff, but neither you nor I know enough to be certain, that's for sure.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread