Next two games will be crucial to.... (1 Viewer)

Paxman II

...get some results and play well. The board will be looking for real effort at Doncaster and Milwall not only because they look like 'six pointers' but with out good results the following two home games against the table chasing toppers of Southampton and west ham will suffer in gate receipts. two good performances at Donny and the Den will put a big bump in the gate for those two home games.
Don't think the board are not aware of that and will surely make Thorn aware of it too.

Think the next two games will be very interesting....

I hate to say this but if Thorny fails to deliver at this vital moment something from Donny and Millwall the board may not be looking to use funds 'available' for a loanee or two but another experienced man at the helm instead.
I know Thorn is working without much support but football can be cruel and if he is seen to be unable to achieve against the next two opponents in a manner he failed to do against Burnley after all the expectation after Leeds he may be in trouble.

I suggest Thorny who we all like needs to get tough in that dressing room. If their good enough their old enough as they say. Take the cotton wool off we need to do the business and there's no time like the present...

Paxman II

....sorry they don't play at the Den any more do they!
Come on Thorny get the crazy gang spirit going in that dressing room!

Lord_Nampil

I think Thorn is already on a thin line, how many points we lost in the last min including his games last year?? It's probably more than we have won!! He plays ok football but we don't attack enough when we need to and we don't play that one ball into space when we need to! I don't think the team is that far away but probably needs more tactical know how and better advice than what it is currently getting. I personally would like a bigger coaching staff, cuz you need to work with what we have got the more help u can get the better you COULD be!

If we loose both he can not stay as manager!!!

ccfcway

So thorn is now in trouble despite doing a brilliant job last Tuesday at Leeds.

We either stick with one manager and grow with him (and yes, we might go down first) or we continue onthe ccfc manger merrygoround.

les_miserables

Andy Thorn shouldn't be looking over his shoulder but almost definitely will be. The board need a fall guy and the next 4 games may well bring matters to a head, we need a minimum of 6 points just to tread water.

We either stick with one manager and grow with him (and yes, we might go down first) or we continue onthe ccfc manger merrygoround.

So we gained a point on Tuesday but lost 3 yesterday. 1 step forward and 2 steps backward. Difference was Howe changed it when needed, thorn didn't. If the fans could see a change was needed why couldn't thorn.

This is a poor championship this year and we can stay up but we need to stop giving goals away and thorn needs to learn from his mistakes sooner rather then later.

Lord_Nampil

He's been in trouble all season, my view on him hasn't changed since Preston last season, he's not a manager! But he can spot talent, something which Cody McDonald proved yesterday! Your right with the manager merrygoround but if he's not the right guy what can you do?? I lost so much respect for him when he made Comments about Bigi yesterday!! This team isn't far off it just needs the right coaching and right management to do what I think it can do, which is stay up !!! Leave Thorn as manager and we will go down!!!

Covstu

Again another example of how fans will never give some people a chance regardless of whats up against them. AT is doing a good job (not brilliant) with the current resources he has, yesterday shown some examples of how the defense could not cope and folded and again we still have nothing upfront to create a constant threat all game. Win against Forest and draw away to Leeds were very good results but again our kids cannot be consistent so they need help.

wingy

I don,t think Thorns in danger in reality ,bringing someone in would cost money and they'd require a budget to change things ,can anyone see that happening? the only way this lot would make a change would be to promote Carsley.so if they sacked Thorn and brought an outsider in ,what do you think would happpen with this current squad ,they're all right behind him,they are his players ,theyd become demotivated ,the kids would seriously consider jumping ship in these alleged moves that are on the horizon,there is a bit of a conundrum when its said he inherited this team becuase he actually built it ,so if its not good enough that finger could be pointed in his direction,except when he selected them it was probably with the strategy of having 50% of them miixed with the four or five quality players that have been allowed to leave

stupot07

I agree we need to stick with one manager and let him and the team grow. I read comment about what I he isn't the right manager and coaching staff - isn't that what we've been saying about every manager and coaching team since we got relegated.

Yes Eddie Howe was able to change it, but he had a goal scorer and pace to call upon, we had rod and an unfit baker and deegan.

Deegan played well against forest but by the accounts I've read he was woeful at Leeds, bakers had 1 good game all season, yes they would have added some experience but they are hardly game changes unlike Hines and Austin. Add to that wallace and stanislas are both quick, and treacy who went off.

Last edited:

ccfc luke

Im still behind Thorn, our squad is the worst in the championship and if it wasnt for the lack of experience of players such as Bigi, then we would be mid-table. Ever since pre-season our objective for this year is survival and we still might achieve that. I cant see a change in manager making any positive difference. Unless it is a quality and experienced manger, which we wouldnt be able to afford.

PUSB

Lord_Nampil

But mate its not about the squad in the last mins of games its about professionalism and seeing the game out! So far including last season we have lost 10 points!!! how many points have we actually won in his time as manager?? And do we have the worst squad in the championship?? I dont think we do, should we be doing better?? I think we should be! Who is that down to?? partly the players, mostly coaching staff and manager!

Paxman II

I'm just pointing out how football works. most fans will be calling for Thorns head if we fail to get points in the next two games. I'm not one of them but I do suspect as i have said times before the coaching has a big question mark over it. One consistent thing is that harrison has been there through all recent managers and disasters.
if I was the board and we had those table toper games at home worth some bumper gates then i would want to see Thorn motivate my team to get the job on track at Donny and Millwall. If he can't then I would be tempted to see what experienced manager there was out there and not wait for us to be cast adrift.
All this may not happen and i'm behind Thorn to do a good job at Donny and Millwall.

J

Jack Griffin

I don't think Feguson, Wenger or O'Neil would have much better luck in the same conditions.
A lot of this is about the lack of finance which impacts squad depth & quality.

And anyway, can someone calling for his head tell me who the board should get that would be better? Or have you not thought this through.

brinner

...get some results and play well. The board will be looking for real effort at Doncaster and Milwall not only because they look like 'six pointers' but with out good results the following two home games against the table chasing toppers of Southampton and west ham will suffer in gate receipts. two good performances at Donny and the Den will put a big bump in the gate for those two home games.
Don't think the board are not aware of that and will surely make Thorn aware of it too.

Think the next two games will be very interesting....

I hate to say this but if Thorny fails to deliver at this vital moment something from Donny and Millwall the board may not be looking to use funds 'available' for a loanee or two but another experienced man at the helm instead.
I know Thorn is working without much support but football can be cruel and if he is seen to be unable to achieve against the next two opponents in a manner he failed to do against Burnley after all the expectation after Leeds he may be in trouble.

I suggest Thorny who we all like needs to get tough in that dressing room. If their good enough their old enough as they say. Take the cotton wool off we need to do the business and there's no time like the present...
with the squad we currently have i expect us to lose most games tbh this season.

i expected us to lose last week v forest, we didnt...........bonus, expected us to lose v leeds, we got a point...........bonus! expected us to lose yesterday and we did.

i also expect us to lose at least 1 of the next 2 games, anything more than a point will be a bonus.

other teams are being pro active and signing players to strengthen themselves ready for a relegation battle..............exept us.

yes thorn will make mistakes along the way as will our young and naive team ,this is to be expected, we cant really afford this in our predicament but we dont really have much choice.

Paxman II

brinner you really expected us to lose against Burnley after a win v Forest and a very good performance and point at Leeds? Seriously?

If I had that much negativity in my bones I'd give up on life! :)

Macca

brinner you really expected us to lose against Burnley after a win v Forest and a very good performance and point at Leeds? Seriously?

i would think most life long fans would expect a defeat after 2 decent performances, its how we roll!

Grendel

Of course he will not be in trouble because of 1 brilliant result - he will be in trouble if the team fails to gain sufficient points to make survival a possibility. I expected us to actually start the season OK and then fall away as injuries and fatigue set in. We should have at least 6 more points now. I actually think he will realise the job is too big and will probably walk away. He sounds depressed already - how will he motivate if we go down over the next two games?

Chipfat

I like Thorn and i think the players would relate to him but he makes comments about players learning, well he has to start looking in the mirror..... If you concede late on as many times as we do something is not being addressed either mentally or physically on the training ground or on matchday.
Also its ok players buying into your coaching philosophy but if we keep losing they will soon start to rebel or lose confidence in what the plan is and what the manager is saying.... It all ends the same way SACK and the only reason this has not happend so far is SISU haven't got the money to replace him...

Otis

I too had us down for defeat on Saturday. Think you'll find it's called realism rather than negativity.

skybluesteve76

It was obvious we would come unstuck after a good result midweek. That's what always happens, no matter who the players are or manager is or whether it's 1983,1999 or 2011! It's always been the same in my lifetime.

stupot07

We are a mid table team based on first 11. The squad overall is a bottom 6 squad.

How can we be a mid table side when we have only finished higher than 17-18th twice in the last 10 years, and now have the worst squad since relegation? There are not enough goals in the side to get us into mid table, in fact their may not be enough goals to keep us up.

stupot07

I too had us down for defeat on Saturday. Think you'll find it's called realism rather than negativity.

Definitely - I thought a draw was the beat we could hope for. We haven't go the quality in the squad to put a decent run together.

stupot07

Of course he will not be in trouble because of 1 brilliant result - he will be in trouble if the team fails to gain sufficient points to make survival a possibility. I expected us to actually start the season OK and then fall away as injuries and fatigue set in. We should have at least 6 more points now. I actually think he will realise the job is too big and will probably walk away. He sounds depressed already - how will he motivate if we go down over the next two games?

To be fair thorn can only take part of the blame for dropped points, some have been dropped through individual errors e.g murphey (palace) and juke (reading) to name but two

How can we be a mid table side when we have only finished higher than 17-18th twice in the last 10 years, and now have the worst squad since relegation? There are not enough goals in the side to get us into mid table, in fact their may not be enough goals to keep us up.

Our starting 11 is decent and would give most teams a good go, i'm reffering to when we get injuries and suspensions, we turn into a bottom 6 team.

Users who are viewing this thread