No ambition. (2 Viewers)

SSB

No you didn't explain why. In response to my question you've quoted, you said:

Because the quality of the league this season is utter crap - And how do you know it'll be better next season?

and clubs are still feeling the effects of COVID on their budgets. - And that's no different to us.

You could see that in the summer window where barely anything was spent by Championship clubs. - So everyone was in the same position as us then?

What are we going to do next season when clubs look to spend again and we're still in the same position fumbling over pennies and pounds? Do what we've done over the last few years. Bat above our spending average. Seems to have worked ok so far.

Well I have explained why and your responses completely contradict your own weak point.

You've literally just said our success can be attributed to the fact that this season has been more of a level playing field due to COVID. So by that logic surely then you must acknowledge that once Championship clubs kick on with their spending habits, then recruitment and the season in general in theory will become much harder as the overall quality of the league will improve.

SlowerThanPlatt

We have only got rid of one player of the payroll in this window Jobello and brought in one player on a contract Bidwell on a 3 and half year contract

Pask
Hilssner
De costa
Walker
Drysdale

We still have a some kind of commitment to their wages to the end of this season and they could all return for next season apart from Pask who’s contract is up , hopefully this is not the case and they find new clubs to free up their wages but this is not guaranteed
We have four players who’s contracts expire this season Fadz and Eccles will be extended leaving Shipley and Jones to be decided
We have not sold a player for a substantial fee for two years , I think in our budget we aim to sell one a year for a couple of years we were able to sell McNulty,Chaplin and McCallum and still received fees for Maddison and Wilson which had brought well needed income allowing reinvestment of these funds
On the back of this we have signed Moore, Sheaf and Waghorne who have been on really contracts at previous clubs and have probably took pay cuts and even taking that in account are in our top earners

We have secured majority of our squad on longer term contracts , which has increased our budget , if a player is on a 3 year contract for example they normally get automatic pay rise each year ( if we have not been relegated that is )
With returning to the CBS the club had a lot of costs and as is normal with most clubs would borrow against the future season ticket income and so only get the income once that game has been played

I can see why the club have not perhaps brought in another player or players in this window, with the success of the squad at the moment and perhaps taking some of the points above we could still have a very good season
Eccles has a contract until 2023

FulltimeWum

And whatever level we're at, we'll end up with players filling in for the occasional game. The many Paul Williams's we ended up with in the top flight is testament to that.
But the level we are at now is the same as that time. In the upper echelons of the Premier League you have the investment arm of Oil State, two American financial houses who have everyone pay the bills, an Oligarch and an happy go lucky bunch of mediocre billionaires.

Skyblueweeman

Well I have explained why and your responses completely contradict your own weak point.

You've literally just said our success can be attributed to the fact that this season has been more of a level playing field due to COVID. So by that logic surely then you must acknowledge that once Championship clubs kick on with their spending habits, then recruitment and the season in general in theory will become much harder as the overall quality of the league will improve.

Well, they don't contradict my own points, but ok.

My parting piece is that MR has previously delivered above budget so I'm confident that he would continue the same.

Leicester won the EPL with a squad valued at no more than £25m. Money (and throwing it at players) doesn't always equate to success.

FulltimeWum

My parting piece is that MR has previously delivered above budget so I'm confident that he would continue the same.

Leicester won the EPL with a squad valued at no more than £25m. Money (and throwing it at players) doesn't always equate to success.
Which of Vardy's feet is valued at £25 million?

Brighton Sky Blue

They only got to that league in the first place because of billionaires writing blank cheques

SSB

Terrible example. All credit to what Leicester did in the PL but christ they make Derby's spending in the Championship look frugal.

SSB

Not often. But how often does a league table totally reflect budgets?

It's a pretty rough science. I read this report a while back that sheds some light on this topic.

It's still a bit all over the place though so I think the takeaway from the report is that a club's wage bill is more of an indicator for success rather than necessarily accurately suggesting where your club will finish.

SlowerThanPlatt

Where exactly were we supposed to unearth this attacking midfielder from?
Yes it would've been nice to find one but I never want to see the days of signing players in January for the sake of it
I still judder at the Mowbray January transfer window

SBB said Robins identified one he wanted but it didn’t happen for whatever reason

Skyblueweeman

It's a pretty rough science. I read this report a while back that sheds some light on this topic.

It's still a bit all over the place though so I think the takeaway from the report is that a club's wage bill is more of an indicator for success rather than necessarily accurately suggesting where your club will finish.

Good report. Some outliers though like Millwall, PNE and someone else...had to go back in and remember but you need to sign up.

I agree that wages/expenditure can be a good indication of where a team should finish but there's plenty of examples of where the correlations don't work.

shmmeee

Good report. Some outliers though like Millwall, PNE and someone else...had to go back in and remember but you need to sign up.

I agree that wages/expenditure can be a good indication of where a team should finish but there's plenty of examples of where the correlations don't work.

This has the same energy as me telling myself I don’t need to quit smoking cos there’s that 115 year old lady who smokes so not everyone gets lung cancer.

SSB

True there are anomalies but if you look at those who have achieved promotion from the Championship over the past 10 years lets say, the correlation is definitely more consistent in terms of higher budgets being an indication of success.

I think the other takeaway from this is that even the teams whose wage bill is significantly smaller than their fellow promotion winners - e.g. Huddersfield - it was still quite a bit more than ours.

Frostie

True there are anomalies but if you look at those who have achieved promotion from the Championship over the past 10 years lets say, the correlation is definitely more consistent in terms of higher budgets being an indication of success.

I think the other takeaway from this is that even the teams whose wage bill is significantly smaller than their fellow promotion winners - e.g. Huddersfield - it was still quite a bit more than ours.

Since the introduction of FFP rules, only 2 clubs have been promoted to the PL without breaking them.

Skyblueweeman

This has the same energy as me telling myself I don’t need to quit smoking cos there’s that 115 year old lady who smokes so not everyone gets lung cancer.

Well, not really. Leicester winning the league fits your analogy - a 5000/1 offering. Millwall finishing in the top 10 despite having a lower end budget isn't the same thing.

Brighton Sky Blue

Not often. But how often does a league table totally reflect budgets?

I think in our particular case, we clearly would do better with a few extra million a year.

Skyblueweeman

I think in our particular case, we clearly would do better with a few extra million a year.

Well of course - any team would be better off with more money.

My point being that having say, the 20th ranked budget, doesn't necessarily mean we're going to finish 20th and there's decent precedent for that, if an irregular occurence.

SSB

Well of course - any team would be better off with more money.

My point being that having say, the 20th ranked budget, doesn't necessarily mean we're going to finish 20th and there's decent precedent for that, if an irregular occurence.

No, but the probability of a team with a 20th ranked budget sustaining success or even remaining in the Championship season after season probably isn't particularly high I'd imagine.

There's too many variables. Change in management, club's ability to retain players, squad turnover, financial state of the club etc. Whilst these can affect all clubs of course, such variables can be mitigated somewhat far more by clubs with significant financial investment from owners. Those that receive little in terms of investment are hit much harder. I think Barnsley this season are a great example of this.

Again look at those relegated from the Championship in the past 10 years or so. Most are low-budget clubs.

Last edited:

fernandopartridge

Leicester's owners had sunk in £108m to end up with a "squad valued at £25m"

Skyblueweeman

Leicester's owners had sunk in £108m to end up with a "squad valued at £25m"

Regardless of what they spent on the club beforehand, the 11 players who were the mainstay of their squad, we're brought in for £28m (just double checked) when some of the clubs who they were up against, had spent 5-10 times that amount.

Skyblueweeman

Now that Ismael has been sacked at WBA, I wonder if they'd consider MR as a replacement? If they would, that'll be a sign of the clubs ambitions - would MR stay if approached by WBA and if so, what would the club do to keep him?

Users who are viewing this thread