Not going to the Ricoh... (1 Viewer)

Otis

Not much sympathy at all with that to be honest, because they shouldn't even been in Wycombe anyway!

Wonder if local Northampton businesses have moaned at CCFC for taking Coventry City away from them?

letsallsingtogether

Not much sympathy at all with that to be honest, because they shouldn't even been in Wycombe anyway!

Wonder if local Northampton businesses have moaned at CCFC for taking Coventry City away from them?

Well Frankie and Bennies have lost out that's for sure.....

MichaelCCFC

Yeah, people moaning about their club being moved miles away from what they see as its home. Can't imagine anyone in Coventry expressing that kind of view

NorthernWisdom

Yeah, people moaning about their club being moved miles away from what they see as its home. Can't imagine anyone in Coventry expressing that kind of view

tbf (and I do agree with you broadly on this btw ;) ) it does indeed seem a little rich to complain about Wycombe links being broken when the team was artificially parachuted in there in the first place.

However, it does show that there should be no expectation of loyalty, and there can be consequences to what seems like an effort to integrate, further down the line...

shmmeee

Don't want to start a fight here. But was I the only one that wasn't boycotting Sixfields because of some notion that we were being franchised and instead because of the total lack of morals it showed?

We didn't move to Sixfields because of short term cash flow, we moved as a (very bad) negotiating tactic.

Why do people keep bringing up franchise football? Did I totally misread last season and that's what we were complaining about?

There's the moving against fans wishes angle that I totally get, but much like the hooha around the gate at MK Dons away, I don't understand the complaints about franchising. It's never been an issue at CCFC, then some people started using it as a stick to beat those that went to MK, and now apparently it was the main issue all along?

NorthernWisdom

Well... the general principle was surely that moving the club was a step too far? That intrinsically a club from Coventry should play in Coventry?

And yes, we were always going to be temporary (utterly unviable to shift us *from* Coventry *to* Northampton permanently you'd think... although recent gates and events makes me doubt my certainty on that!). What you're wanting to show however is that after loosening the ties, moving the club permanently to wherever has the best deal is a bad idea...

Big attendances at MK show that it's forgotten soon enough, and the 'art' to a club move is to hold your nerve. They show, in fact, that SISU's mistake was not committing to a permanent move, but instead going for temporary.

Likewise with Wasps. If accepted it is another step along the road to total commodification of sport. And if that's accepted then our own club, on currently unstable foundations, finds itself more likely to go wherever it gets the best offer. meanwhile, Wasps (as shown by Wycombe and the loss of connections built up) will have no intrinsic connection to Coventry, so could well move again. the justification of 'nomadic club' in that sense is worrying, it gives an excuse and a reason for them to take off again...

So then we do risk not only the social loss, but also ending up with zero sports clubs and an unused stadium. the immediate result of quick cash to plug a budget defecit might be useful, the longer term consequences could be further reaching.

And it's seeing wider than just us to see how it could affect us that means Wasps moving here should be seen as a bad thing. It's worse, in fact, than us moving, for we were always going to come back...

Until the idea of permanence becomes accepted and validated.

fernandopartridge

Don't want to start a fight here. But was I the only one that wasn't boycotting Sixfields because of some notion that we were being franchised and instead because of the total lack of morals it showed?

We didn't move to Sixfields because of short term cash flow, we moved as a (very bad) negotiating tactic.

Why do people keep bringing up franchise football? Did I totally misread last season and that's what we were complaining about?

There's the moving against fans wishes angle that I totally get, but much like the hooha around the gate at MK Dons away, I don't understand the complaints about franchising. It's never been an issue at CCFC, then some people started using it as a stick to beat those that went to MK, and now apparently it was the main issue all along?
I think it's the general principle of moving teams from their established homes be it as a franchise or as a negotiating tactic. Not that you don't know that.

Neutral Fan

I've been banging on and boring you all about franchising ever since CCFC was disgracefully moved to my town. I'm pleased you're back but this latest franchise makes me think it's more likely you'll be franchised again, on a permanent basis. East side of Brum is an easy option. Bigger ''customer base'' in that area.

This CCFC fans that suddenly decide to follow Wasps Franchise RFC might get a shock if it leads to the loss of their football club.

But in life, some people see the bigger picture and some don't I guess.

Last edited:

Broken Hearted Sky Blue

I've been banging on and boring you all about franchising ever since CCFC was disgracefully moved to my town. I'm pleased you're back but this latest franchise makes me think it's more likely you'll be franchised again, on a permanent basis. East side of Brum is an easy option. Bigger ''customer base'' in that area.

This CCFC fans that suddenly decide to follow Wasps Franchise RFC might get a shock if it leads to the loss of their football club.

I think you're right there must be tens of thousands of Brummies just waiting for a third division football team from Coventry to be parachuted into their area.

Rusty Trombone

We are on the east of Birmingham.

chiefdave

I think you're right there must be tens of thousands of Brummies just waiting for a third division football team from Coventry to be parachuted into their area.

All those Villa fans can't wait until we move a bit closer so they can stop supporting Villa in the Prem and come and watch us instead!

This is where the franchising argument falls down in football. Where are you going to move someone to? Sure if Man Utd decided to move to Brum they would get huge crowds but they do already. What struggling team could move to a new location and improve the business side of things?

NorthernWisdom

All those Villa fans can't wait until we move a bit closer so they can stop supporting Villa in the Prem and come and watch us instead!

This is where the franchising argument falls down in football. Where are you going to move someone to? Sure if Man Utd decided to move to Brum they would get huge crowds but they do already. What struggling team could move to a new location and improve the business side of things?

Belfast, Telford and Dublin would be the main options I suppose... What you want is somebody who's building/has built a leisure facility and needs a team to raise profile, so you get a decent deal.

Forget the crowds for a meoment too, it's probably as much about who gives you the best offer on a ground...

Belfast and Dublin for us, and Telford only if you fancied sweeping up wider reaches such as Hereford and Shrewsbury.

Grendel

You'd find an open point - Ireland i would guess

Noggin

it was the same everytime we took 7k to mk dons, blah blah double standards, blah blah hypocrits, no one (well hardly anyone) was outraged about franchise football, we were outraged because they were killing our football club for their own ends.

The only real talk about franchise football were from the few (imo misguided) people that believed sisus plan was to move us away forever.

it was the same everytime we took 7k to mk dons, blah blah double standards, blah blah hypocrits, no one (well hardly anyone) was outraged about franchise football, we were outraged because they were killing our football club for their own ends.

The only real talk about franchise football were from the few (imo misguided) people that believed sisus plan was to move us away forever.

Still waiting for that much muted merger between the Cobblers and City.

I'm not sure there really is a massive appetite for anymore franchising of football teams, every area in England has a plethora of local teams with loyal fans with the rest of them glory supporting man u, liverpool etc. MK was a bit of a one off and hasn't really been a huge success. I bet winkelman thought they'd be in the prem by now playing in front of crowds of 20/30 thousand not the top end of league one.

Maybe one day if fifa etc allow it the prem might allow an expansion and have foreign teams from the far east or US playing in it similar to what they are planning to do with the nfl London franchise. That might seem far fetched but so does a world cup in Qatar!

Strange how London can support so many football teams but a lot of the rugby teams have had to move out.

shy_tall_knight

London's property prices make it a unique situation, to date only Arsenal and Millwall have moved stadiums, Wimbledon sold theirs and haven't been able to move back since. Chelsea & Spurs have stadiums which are far too small for them with very rich backers but still haven't moved as there is a huge expense. West Ham are taking advantage of the Olympic stadium. No coincidence that there are other "London based" rugby teams playing outside of London. Of the rugger buggars I know plenty will be going to WASPS.
- Don't rate Cov rugby, believe badly run with poor / no links to the local rugby clubs
- want to watch top flight / quality players / teams
- are neutral fans want to watch the game rather than any particular club, will go but wouldn't class themselves as WASPS fans, very different attitude to football fans regarding team loyalty.

torchomatic

Yeah but, however...
Yeah but, however...
Yeah but, however...etc, etc, etc

London's property prices make it a unique situation, to date only Arsenal and Millwall have moved stadiums, Wimbledon sold theirs and haven't been able to move back since. Chelsea & Spurs have stadiums which are far too small for them with very rich backers but still haven't moved as there is a huge expense. West Ham are taking advantage of the Olympic stadium. No coincidence that there are other "London based" rugby teams playing outside of London. Of the rugger buggars I know plenty will be going to WASPS.
- Don't rate Cov rugby, believe badly run with poor / no links to the local rugby clubs
- want to watch top flight / quality players / teams
- are neutral fans want to watch the game rather than any particular club, will go but wouldn't class themselves as WASPS fans, very different attitude to football fans regarding team loyalty.

rupert_bear

Why don't we all drop this Wasps saga and concentrate on the plight of our football TEAM on the pitch if you haven't noticed we are a point from the relegation zone and the average home gate is looking like 7/8000 and a team far far inferior to the one which finished just above halfway (had we not lost the 10 points) last season.

Nick

Administrator
Why don't we all drop this Wasps saga and concentrate on the plight of our football TEAM on the pitch if you haven't noticed we are a point from the relegation zone and the average home gate is looking like 7/8000 and a team far far inferior to the one which finished just above halfway (had we not lost the 10 points) last season.

I agree, the issue is that some people don't seem to be interested in the team on the pitch ;)

shy_tall_knight

OK we're in trouble, big trouble Elvis & Waggot have acquired a very poor squad this summer, tactics aside not convinced by a lot of the new players Tudgay especially others such as O'Brien flatter to deceive lookk good in spells but fail to deliver, Reeda looks a huge gamble Shaun Miller a waste of a signing, loans seem ok but Nouble may be finished with us. Fleck & Thomas in midfield is too lighweight. However stil think we have a squad better than our league position over to you Elvis.

italiahorse

OK we're in trouble, big trouble Elvis & Waggot have acquired a very poor squad this summer, tactics aside not convinced by a lot of the new players Tudgay especially others such as O'Brien flatter to deceive lookk good in spells but fail to deliver, Reeda looks a huge gamble Shaun Miller a waste of a signing, loans seem ok but Nouble may be finished with us. Fleck & Thomas in midfield is too lighweight. However stil think we have a squad better than our league position over to you Elvis.

I'm struggling. I see glimpses of skill with most of these players but for some reason they don't perform as a team and consistently.

I struggle because I cannot work out if it's the real quality of the players or whether it's the tactics.

I see the various comments on the above from people on here, but like myself, they may talk a good game but in reality no nothing about the situation at all.

I'm pitching in that the players are not good enough and that the loanees are not committed to the club.
I know SP last year did not want loanees last year so I suspect he does not have the team he wants.
In view of that I blame Sisu for this predicament.

Not being good on tactics I assume the formation is too defensive at 352 as it seems to be more 532 and with no midfield and small/novice defenders a boot over the top is a good % game for our opponents. Also with the defensive formation we lack midfield and can't feed our small attackers other than hoofing it up to them.

olderskyblue

yes, that will lighten the mood.... ;)

smouch1975

I have a jaguar. I drive it and service it in Perth. Is this a franchise car.

I lie. They are too expensive and parts take months too arrive. I have a Mitsubishi.

CCFC PimpRail

Franchising will prove that people will pay to watch quality sport, and Cov offers a quality venue and high population, including those who have abandoned watching their respective Football & Rugby teams now they are both playing in their third tiers. But I still think Man U have missed a trick in not buying the Ricoh, as it us halfway between their current home, and where their fans all live.

rupert_bear

I agree, the issue is that some people don't seem to be interested in the team on the pitch ;)
Then lets put this Wasp saga to bed and up the anti on how our football team is being run, the direction, the policies. I don't blame the manager that much as he has had his better players swept from under his feet, but I do doubt his present tactics. Waggott and Fisher are getting off far too lightly, it is those two who dictate how this club is run and the manager just has to get on with it or do a Mark Robins and jump ship and to do that you need a ship passing by.

Users who are viewing this thread