Nothing to do with SISU (1 Viewer)

Lamptey

http://www.scunthorpe-united.co.uk/team/player-profile/

Look at that squad, stitched together from next to nothing and top of the league (early days I know), managed by a Cov lad also. Josh Morris was a free transfer.

I think Tony could be here for the next 5 years with or without SISU and still wouldn't know how to build a team to get us out of this league, it doesn't require cash ffs.

I am sure loads of you have seen the film Moneyball? should be compulsory viewing for mogga and co.

Hobo

Only Wallace, Morris and Toffolo were signed in 2016.

no_loyalty

Look at that squad, stitched together from next to nothing and top of the league (early days I know), managed by a Cov lad also. Josh Morris was a free transfer.

I think Tony could be here for the next 5 years with or without SISU and still wouldn't know how to build a team to get us out of this league, it doesn't require cash ffs.

I am sure loads of you have seen the film Moneyball? should be compulsory viewing for mogga and co.

Said Cov lad should be our next manager

skybluetony176

Only Wallace, Morris and Toffolo were signed in 2016.

Consistency is a big factor. Look at Walsall last season. Similar arguments were being made then by people ignorant to the fact that there was consistency from one season to the next, most importantly the manager who was allowed time to build. Some of our fans would have had him sacked after his first season.

Nick

Administrator
Consistency is a big factor. Look at Walsall last season. Similar arguments were being made then by people ignorant to the fact that there was consistency from one season to the next, most importantly the manager who was allowed time to build. Some of our fans would have had him sacked after his first season.
And they are doing better than us with their best players all gone!

Evo1883

I put up the other day the stats on our player retention and recruitment , if supporters do not think that has a negative effect , then I'm speechless .
101 released in 5 years
59 loans
57 signed on free or fee

The reality is we have no stability .

I'm pretty sure Scunthorpe have actually spent more money on players than we have aswell over the last 5 years

I know the manager must take some blame , but to eradicate the owners entirely for our downfall is bonkers ....sorry

covcity4life

mowbray has cited problems and we all agreed. too many loans, not enough men and squad changing too much

since then he has cut down on loan dependency,started signing players to 2-3 year contracts and has admitted he missed out on many players in mid to late 20s age bracket.

TM is making the changes that make sense,but it wont work overnight, gonna take time. we shouldnt be bottom, the squad and budget is better than that but i have faith we will be nowhere near bottom come may. lets give mowbray the time he needs, even if that means years with same manager!

Skyblueweeman

Walsall changed their manager halfway through last season when matey went to manage another club??

standupforcity

Crazy comparison at this stage of the season.. Wonder what Barnsley lot would have to say about how things are at the moment??!!! It's so easy for fans to find a way to pull their support and climb all over the nearest scapegoat. This team will click, hopefully tonight, and we'll be on our way!

pastythegreat

mowbray has cited problems and we all agreed. too many loans, not enough men and squad changing too much

since then he has cut down on loan dependency,started signing players to 2-3 year contracts and has admitted he missed out on many players in mid to late 20s age bracket.

TM is making the changes that make sense,but it wont work overnight, gonna take time. we shouldnt be bottom, the squad and budget is better than that but i have faith we will be nowhere near bottom come may. lets give mowbray the time he needs, even if that means years with same manager!
Changes that make sense?? He has already stated he plays 3 centre halves as our defenders aren't good enough to play a back 4 (safety in numbers almost). Yet last season Martin played that position with a young, inexperienced loan player just fine.
That says to me A.Martin (good enough to play our strongest formation) let go on a free to be replaced by (with a fee paid for) Turnnbull who in Moggas eyes isn't as good as he doesn't trust him in a back 4 formation.
ie he has replaced a player with a player not as strong/experienced/good etc.
And this is just one instance of players leaving and not adequately being replaced.
•Vincelot = Gadshev
•Stokes (ok he not gone but still needed replacing whilst injured) = inexperienced loan (in my eyes no better than haynes)
•Fleck = Bigi (although he's improving every game, like for like they're miles apart)
•Arma = Well, take your pick but they're all garbage.
•Murphy = Reid.
•Cole = Jones
•Maddison = ???? (hasn't been replaced, we have no number 10/playmaker)

Nothing Mogga has done this summer has made any sense AT ALL.

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

oucho

TM is making the changes that make sense,but it wont work overnight, gonna take time. we shouldnt be bottom, the squad and budget is better than that but i have faith we will be nowhere near bottom come may. lets give Mowbray the time he needs, even if that means years with same manager!
He has not cut down on loan dependency - we have the same number as last year. TM last year told me that we've maximum loans again this season. I agree with the OP. Part of the issue is giving Mowbray a 2 year deal, he is trying to put out a team to succeed in the short term not build for the long term, and last season he got lucky in the loans market, this time he hasn't.

covcity4life

martin was nothing special. stop kissing his arse. we lost loads with him in a back 4.

as for murphy and armstrong you think its easy to find loans like that??? be thankful we got them at all. fans moaned about loans last year so hes brought in long term players like jones and reid and now fans moan about them.

we have terrible uneducated fans.

Nick

Administrator
The pre season was a bit strange.

He says he doesn't want to play wingers, so he keeps taking wingers on trial and saying they have to be amazing for us to sign them. He then signs a winger in Reid.

He has signed 5 centre forwards and 1 centre half yet we have Becchio here on trial? It is as if he wants to play a striker 1 game out on the wing then replace them if they don't score.

covcity4life

He has not cut down on loan dependency - we have the same number as last year. TM last year told me that we've maximum loans again this season. I agree with the OP. Part of the issue is giving Mowbray a 2 year deal, he is trying to put out a team to succeed in the short term not build for the long term, and last season he got lucky in the loans market, this time he hasn't.

thats not true imo. hes clearly looking to build a core that wont leave every summer.

rcc,turnball,bigi,rose,gadzhev,jones,reid,sordell will all be here next year contract wise

thats a sizeable core.

covcity4life

The pre season was a bit strange.

He says he doesn't want to play wingers, so he keeps taking wingers on trial and saying they have to be amazing for us to sign them. He then signs a winger in Reid.

He has signed 5 centre forwards and 1 centre half yet we have Becchio here on trial? It is as if he wants to play a striker 1 game out on the wing then replace them if they don't score.

tactically i agree somethings have been strange. thats not my argument. i am, just backing him up as someone trying to turn the club around long term

Nick

Administrator
martin was nothing special. stop kissing his arse. we lost loads with him in a back 4.

as for murphy and armstrong you think its easy to find loans like that??? be thankful we got them at all. fans moaned about loans last year so hes brought in long term players like jones and reid and now fans moan about them.

we have terrible uneducated fans.

People are moaning about the consistency of the 11. Jones and Reid are out and out wingers, their job should be beating the full back and getting a cross in or getting to the byline and pulling it back for a tap in etc. We don't even play wingers half the time so it makes it pointless.

covcity4life

People are moaning about the consistency of the 11. Jones and Reid are out and out wingers, their job should be beating the full back and getting a cross in or getting to the byline and pulling it back for a tap in etc. We don't even play wingers half the time so it makes it pointless.

as i said im just backing up his long term plan. tactics i agree can be questioned.

but we still will start winning very soon....

Nick

Administrator
as i said im just backing up his long term plan. tactics i agree can be questioned.

but we still will start winning very soon....

Yes the long term stuff is great, and if we were sat mid table where we should be at least it wouldn't be an issue.

covcity4life

need to draw attention to this. this is such a BS thing to say

who are we dependent on in this squad? rcc? turnball? bigi? jones? not many other candidates! and certainly no loans thats for sure so far.

Gosford Green

This Scunthorpe squad is quite settled, built up over a couple of seasons. In our case the last couple of seasons has seen the squad stripped bare then the manager has to start again in the close season.

If we could have kept the spine of last years squad this season we would go up as champions, instead under this lot we will most likely go down.
Brings us back to the player budget.

Nick

Administrator
This Scunthorpe squad is quite settled, built up over a couple of seasons. In our case the last couple of seasons has seen the squad stripped bare then the manager has to start again in the close season.

If we could have kept the spine of last years squad this season we would go up as champions, instead under this lot we will most likely go down.
Brings us back to the player budget.

There is no way we would go up as champions.

It brings us back to recruitment doesn't it? Especially as Mowbray has said himself he hasn't noticed a difference in budget, unless he is going out of his way to make himself look silly.

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
2014/15
Scunthorpe turnover £2.8m, player sales profit £100k ,net losses £3.2m, player purchases £419k ....... league position 16th
CCFC Turnover £4.7m, player sales profit £2.7m, net losses £3.3m, player purchase £93k ...... league position 17th

2015/16
Scunthorpe league position 7th
CCFC league position 8th

current season
Scunthorpe league position 1st
CCFC league position 24th

willing to bet that Scunthorpe turnover remained considerably less than CCFC and that they haven't benefited from multi million player sales in 2015/16 and current season

makes you think doesn't it .......................

OffenhamSkyBlue

thats not true imo. hes clearly looking to build a core that wont leave every summer.

rcc,turnball,bigi,rose,gadzhev,jones,reid,sordell will all be here next year contract wise

thats a sizeable core.
That will help with next season's promotion challenge then. From Div 4, cos that is where we are heading right now. TM has a squad of professional footballers, but there is no clear improvement towards managing them into a cohesive unit (or "team", as it's sometimes known) that can play his style (or any style) of football to win games. I hated the way Pressley kept calling them "the group", but that is exactly what this bunch are currently. I realize some of you may disagree, but this is not the fault of a lack of investment by the owners; it is ineffective management and coaching.

covcity4life

That will help with next season's promotion challenge then. From Div 4, cos that is where we are heading right now. TM has a squad of professional footballers, but there is no clear improvement towards managing them into a cohesive unit (or "team", as it's sometimes known) that can play his style (or any style) of football to win games. I hated the way Pressley kept calling them "the group", but that is exactly what this bunch are currently. I realize some of you may disagree, but this is not the fault of a lack of investment by the owners; it is ineffective management and coaching.

i agree its not sisu fault we are bottom.

tm is slowly turning it around, this form is temporary. but its a case of wait and see for the doubters i agree

OffenhamSkyBlue

i agree its not sisu fault we are bottom.

tm is slowly turning it around, this form is temporary. but its a case of wait and see for the doubters i agree

Trouble is, CC4L, I can't see that he is turning it round. We have not conceded that many goals, but he can't get the myriad forwards to hit the proverbial cow's arse with a banjo. Then when we do score first (as we did on Saturday and at Bradford), the defence go AWOL and it all falls apart. Maybe that is a sign of a lack of maturity and resilience that you might find with a young squad, but he doesn't seem able to motivate them.
I really hope I'm wrong, by the way

Hobo

Holmes, margetts, and Smallwood too.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
I got bored after checking the first 16 although it was a quick scan so missed a few. They brought a lot of players in during 2015...perhaps they are benefitting from having had a season together. They also seem a more experienced group than ours.

Nick

Administrator
I got bored after checking the first 16 although it was a quick scan so missed a few. They brought a lot of players in during 2015...perhaps they are benefitting from having had a season together. They also seem a more experienced group than ours.

And not a fancy name in sight apart from Paddy Madden.

covcity4life

Trouble is, CC4L, I can't see that he is turning it round. We have not conceded that many goals, but he can't get the myriad forwards to hit the proverbial cow's arse with a banjo. Then when we do score first (as we did on Saturday and at Bradford), the defence go AWOL and it all falls apart. Maybe that is a sign of a lack of maturity and resilience that you might find with a young squad, but he doesn't seem able to motivate them.
I really hope I'm wrong, by the way

alot of that has be down to luck. not all but some

it will turn,starting tonight

weecohawena

Has to be blamed for the formation. We are playing young kids mostly. Make it simple and fearless. A front three of Jones, Agyei and Lameiras/Reid should cause all sorts of problems in this league. Then a midfield three of Bigi, Gadz and Stevenson/Rose isn't too bad. Then the back four should pick itself. Keep it simple.

Users who are viewing this thread