NOW who’s our penalty taker (1 Viewer)

Johhny Blue

Wasn’t really convinced by Hadji’s pen although he seemed cool and collected. I’m glad he won rock paper scissors as I don’t think I could watch O’Hare take another. I would have felt better seeing Torp step up.
Godden has been struggling to make an impact but he has taken some great pens for us.
Who would you like to see take the next one?

shmmeee

Wright for me. But I’ll be a lot more confident if we do what we did last season and end up at pens. Easily got 7/8 who I’d back to score and no one really I’d be as worried about as Fadz Dabo and Bidwell (other than Bidwell obviously).

SkyblueTexan

I think designating a penalty taker is not required as we know how Godden’s penalties of late have been. I think the strikers and midfielders should all practice taking penalties and whoever feels most confident on the day should step up. Not sure about having rock, paper, scissors to decide things though. Both Wright’s and COH’s penalties were more about placement than power. My fear with their approaches/attempts is that if the goalie doesn’t flinch, they could have easily ended up being saved.

Johhny Blue

He was cool, collected, and he scored sending the keeper the wrong way.... but apart from that you were unconvinced.
I’m not going to bash a goalscorer but personally I don’t like that choice of finish for a penalty. If the keeper saves that Hadji’s a donkey for many posters. If a keeper saves a perfectly placed rocket it’s a great save and we don’t blame the taker.
The positive here is we have all been saying he needs confidence and he certainly showed that.

Astute

I’m not going to bash a goalscorer but personally I don’t like that choice of finish for a penalty. If the keeper saves that Hadji’s a donkey for many posters. If a keeper saves a perfectly placed rocket it’s a great save and we don’t blame the taker.
The positive here is we have all been saying he needs confidence and he certainly showed that.
It was a perfect penalty.

When was the last time you saw a penalty where the keeper didn't dive to either side? A keeper would look a right dick if he just stood there and didn't move. A keeper doesn't wait to see which way that the ball is going. He either guesses which way the ball is going and hopes for the best or goes by the run up. You saw the keeper watch it go in. Nothing you can do in mid air 😁

If you go for the corner and the keeper guesses right it has to be hard and accurate. A little to the left or right you can hit the post or the keeper saves.

On the rock paper scissors...was funny but we do need something better. How about they take it in turns until one misses. Then the other takes them until a miss?

Legia Sky Blue

Wright has the job now until he mucks up. Agree with those putting forward Torp as an option though. Eccles was a clinical penalty taker in youth football, which he has carried into a number of penalty shoot outs in our first team so would be comfortable with him too.

Sky_Blue_Daz

Let Wright carry on,or when he's back from Injury it should be Sheaf

AOM

Wright or Godden for me I think, what's Godden's penalty record for Cov?
Bet Torp could take a good penalty as well if called upon

dadgad

I could only take a pen in one way but had confidence that it’d find the corner; low and hard. Once a goalie sussed that I was in trouble.
Good penalty takers must be able to keep goalies guessing.

AOM

Also can't get over the CWR caller after the game Sunday who was fuming Wright took a penalty, regardless of him scoring.
Think he was putting across a hypothetical situation where Wright missed and Millwall scored another...

Some fans are just unwilling to move from their original positions, regardless of what happens

skyblueelephant76

Godden has a record of scored 19 missed two over his whole career (although he's missed 2 of his last 3 for us if you include the preseason game at Shrewsbury)

Reactions: AOM

skybluelee

Godden has a record of scored 19 missed two over his whole career (although he's missed 2 of his last 3 for us if you include the preseason game at Shrewsbury)
Missed 3 out of 4 including that friendly I think?

Missed against Watford, Ipswich and Shrewsbury. Scored against Wimbledon.

SBbucks

Also can't get over the CWR caller after the game Sunday who was fuming Wright took a penalty, regardless of him scoring.
Think he was putting across a hypothetical situation where Wright missed and Millwall scored another...

Some fans are just unwilling to move from their original positions, regardless of what happens

That was one of the stupidest calls I’ve ever heard on CWR (and there’s strong competition every week).

AOM

That was one of the stupidest calls I’ve ever heard on CWR (and there’s strong competition every week).

You could tell he'd already written off Simms and Wright, and nothing was going to change his mind.
Didn't rate Bidwell either

Astute

Wright or Godden for me I think, what's Godden's penalty record for Cov?
Bet Torp could take a good penalty as well if called upon
Godden? You need to be on the pitch to be able to take a penalty. Been a great servant of our club but it seems just a season too far for him.

itsabuzzard

Some people are as thick as two short planks.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

Don’t shoot me down, but this could be a good thread for us to talk about whether Dabo should have taken one for us at Wembley - who wants to get us started?

Perfect. Thanks m8.

I can get away with moaning about the Dabo choice without being the one that started it.

Hobo

What about Milan Van Ewijk? Even if the keeper guessed the right way he would probably end up in the back of the net with the ball 😆

In fairness I think we have several players who look capable. Which isn't a bad situation to be in.
It comes down to nerve as much as ability when the pressure is on.

Even the best penalty takers miss occasionally.

Users who are viewing this thread