Oggy (1 Viewer)

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
Very impressive Houch. Were you a reporter or a DJ ?
I used to do a slot every morning during the Adam Mountford Show. More of a 'Community News' thing. Got called to do a bit of reporting every now and then, usually when there was a voting poll into the night.

Oggysstarjumps

I’ve had plenty of conversations with him over the years and always found him to be polite and insightful very much the way he comes across on the radio.
I also remember him as a player was often a grumpy sod. But we loved him all the same, especially his keep warm exercises during a game, he loved a star jump…. Total legend
Had to give that a like...

Bad Boy

Met him once when I was 10, he was alright. Signed my programme. Absolute City legend in footballing terms though, surely no disagreement about that.
I'll partly agree with you shmmeee, he was a half decent keeper, not the best keeper in a City shirt though.

SkyBlueScottie

Oggy, fantastic servant, great shot stopper, dodgy kicker, also loved coming and going back to his line when a cross came in. Decent on CWR, but yes, he could be a grumpy bugger when meeting him.

Finham

Correct. Watch the 2 Sutton United goals again.
You can't watch back 1 game and mark him down for that! If so, on watching The Big Match Revisited, you'd be marking down Blyth and Glazier for their gaffes. Not sure who else could be regarded as better than him?

ProfessorbyGrace

It's a football term to acknowledge someone is pretty good Prof.

Yes, of course, I suppose it’s a matter of opinion though, however.

I was fortunate enough to see his second half heroics against Tottenham in 96/97, which ultimately kept us up. I haven’t seen a ‘clutch’ display like that from a City player since. The man was a wall in trackie bottoms.
Furthermore, his professionalism throughout his City career was exemplary.

His kicking was atrocious, however, but who’s perfect. 😊

Finham

Yes, of course, I suppose it’s a matter of opinion though, however.

I was fortunate enough to see his second half heroics against Tottenham in 96/97, which ultimately kept us up. I haven’t seen a ‘clutch’ display like that from a City player since. The man was a wall in trackie bottoms.
Furthermore, his professionalism throughout his City career was exemplary.

His kicking was atrocious, however, but who’s perfect. 😊
Amazing save v Leeds in the FA Cup semi.

It’sabatch87

Met Oggy circa 1985 he used to play snooker up at that club by Mercia sound. Was it called frames?
My mate was a youth/reserve player at the time.
He did like a silk cut too!!
Seemed ok and easy to get on with, just a normal guy tbh!!

Gynnsthetonic

Cov City were playing cricket v Cov&North Warwick mid 80s on Binley Rd, I was about 13, he shouted at me and my 2 mates in the clubhouse like a headmaster for being too noisy, hated him after that until about 1987😄

Last edited:

Danceswithhorses

Cov City were playing cricket v Cov & North Warwick mid 80s on Binley Rd, I was about 13, he shouted at me and my 2 mates in the clubhouse like a headmaster for being 2 noisy, hated him after that until about 1987😄
He was also a member of Cov & North Warks club's snooker team.
That's the club where his snooker pal told me to 'f*ck off' when i was collecting glasses as a 15yo.

Adge

He was also a member of Cov & North Warks club's snooker team.
That's the club where his snooker pal told me to 'f*ck off' when i was collecting glasses as a 15yo.
On the snooker theme-used to follow Jimmy White quite a bit back in the day. Was delighted when there was an exhibition match with him and Alex Higgins, someone who I’d never managed to see but always wanted to, but due to his misdemeanors and health had taken a bit of a back seat. Never met a more horrible person in my life-wouldn’t give people who had come out to see him the time of day and was so rude.

Frankly_Mr_Shankly

On the snooker theme-used to follow Jimmy White quite a bit back in the day. Was delighted when there was an exhibition match with him and Alex Higgins, someone who I’d never managed to see but always wanted to, but due to his misdemeanors and health had taken a bit of a back seat. Never met a more horrible person in my life-wouldn’t give people who had come out to see him the time of day and was so rude.
Jimmy or Alex?

Greggs

Met him once, he was an arrogant/miserable prick who stunk of fags

ProfessorbyGrace

People also gloss over the fact that his kicking was atrocious!!!

He used to regularly get jeered from the Terrace when he pinged another one into touch!

It was legendarily awful. 🤣 Whenever there was a chance to counter attack, I’d say quietly, “just throw it Oggy…” but nah, he’d hoof it into the directors box.

LastGarrison

It was legendarily awful. 🤣 Whenever there was a chance to counter attack, I’d say quietly, “just throw it Oggy…” but nah, he’d hoof it into the directors box.
It didn't get much better with Hedman!!! You look at keepers today and they are a world ahead with their feet than keepers back then!!

Still a great keeper for us though and definitely can be classed as a City Legend!

MusicDating

Euro 2016 Prediction League Champion!!
I remember a game at HR where one of our players was down injured and the kop was shouting to Oggy to kick it out. He aimed for the dugouts and it arched beautifully and landed in the centre circle. Absolutely hilarious.

Terry_dactyl

I remember watching us on the telly once, and the commentator said that Oggy acknowledged that the introduction of the ‘back pass rule’ did him no favours.

I also think he struggled with low crosses into the box.

However, still the best keeper we’ve had in my time watching us. One of the best around in the league at the time.

mmttww

He was sound every time I met him. Helped with cricket coaching at our school sometimes (his kid was there) and at C&NW nets sessions.

Users who are viewing this thread