O'Hare is a Burden on the Team (4 Viewers)

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

O’Hare needs someone next to him to capitalise on what he does. Often O’Hare wins the ball high up the pitch but there’s no supporting midfielders - Sheaf and Hamer play deep and Allen and Shipley get nowhere near him. The strikers are marked out of the game and it relies on COH trying to get past 3/4 players. If we had a John Swift type player alongside him, we’d have a lot more options

Londonccfcfan

COH played 30 games 1 goal 4 assists

Hamer, kane and Gyokeres all have as many assists in less games

Gyokeres and godden have 21 goals between them. Cant argue based on stats alone that those have been largely provided by COH.

He is a good player, at times frustrating and MR has built our play around him. For me thats the problem. If he isnt effective then there is no adequate replacement or alternative to push him on to better. Yes he makes us play good football but he also contributes to not winning. Puts some good balls in at times but decision making is inconsistent creating frustration. Easy on the eye but needs to push on if he has ambition to be a top player

seems to be unless Godden or Gyokeres do it in terms of goals then we falter because no one else including COH does.

not anti COH but for us and him to push on he needs to be more effective, to match his indoubted talent

Callum Ohare forget the assists he is involved in every one of our goal moves.

Yes he should have more assists..could he have done more than the one he did brilliantly to out on a plate for Vik??

He is a phenomenal player and equally just as frustrating...lots to come from him. Happy hes in our team.

pusbccfc

Here we go again.

Bit like people slating Hamer not long back. Without either of the two, we look a significantly worse team. To call him a burden is laughable.

Someone above is spot on. He picks up he ball on the halfway line and has no support. Gyökeres goes AWOL looking for the run, Sheaf is back with the defence, Kane/Bidwell slow to keep up. Unfortunately, Bright should have been the option up there with O'Hare supporting him and certainly scoring more goals.

We know O'Hare doesn't score, so the aim in the summer has to be getting someone in to play alongside him behind Gyökeres.

SBT

You can't call someone a burden to the team unless they're a net negative to the side. Given O'Hare's contributions in terms of turnovers, pressing, chance creation, taking players on (I could go on), there's no question that he's an asset rather than a liability.

There's a separate question to be asked about whether he's playing the wrong role in this team, or whether we're relying on him too much, but that's got nothing to do with his talent, which is obvious.

Otis

Opposition double up on him because he is a threat. This provides space for the other attacking players. It’s not all about goals and assists.
Exactly and he is a threat, because the opposition always seem to have to foul him to stop him in his tracks.

NorthernWisdom

Exactly and he is a threat, because the opposition always seem to have to foul him to stop him in his tracks.
They do, although as an aside I wish he'd stop that desperate pleading look to the ref, hands in the air whenever he gets hit - am sure refs don't give the fouls they should, partly because he seems to go looking for them more often than not as well.

AOM

We'd be absolutely mental to let him go.
Even without providing assists or goals in a game, he's still one of our best players

Liquid Gold

He has created more chances from open play than any other player in the Championship this season (a stat that flashed up during the Cardiff game on Sky Sports).

If Gyok buries that header against Cardiff and Hamer finishes his last minute effort against Blackpool he has another 2 assists this season. Both chances that should've been finished.

His own finishing is poor there's no doubt about it but he creates chances galore and it's not his fault they're not finished off by others. He is constantly picking up the ball in dangerous positions and making things happen. We are a much worse team without him.
The sitter he put on for Waghorn recently too

fernandopartridge

I'm sure this will initially attract a barrage of insults, but as much as I really want the lad to succeed, he's not offering anywhere near enough for a championship attacking midfielder that plays every game.

I've heard comments that he is the best player we've had since relegation from the Premier League. Personally I don't see it at all.

I think we could sell him and whilst I'm not exactly confident the owners would reinvest it, should he go for the touted 5 million, even 20% of that would find someone who could score or assist more than what he is offering at the moment. Playing for territory is something wasps should be proud of, not us, and it feels like that and work rate are about his only major attributes. It's becoming a cult in itself though, and match after match there are people that leap to his defence in what in my view seems irrationally obsessive.

His stats in the league (last 3 seasons):

105 appearances
7 goals
16 assists

I've been at times really excited by him, and when we signed him from Villa permanently I was estatic, but that euphoria has seriously plateaued over time.

I'm not looking for emotive rage, just someone please, kindly and respectfully change my mind.

Absolutely clueless nonsense

clint van damme

He has created more chances from open play than any other player in the Championship this season (a stat that flashed up during the Cardiff game on Sky Sports).

If Gyok buries that header against Cardiff and Hamer finishes his last minute effort against Blackpool he has another 2 assists this season. Both chances that should've been finished.

His own finishing is poor there's no doubt about it but he creates chances galore and it's not his fault they're not finished off by others. He is constantly picking up the ball in dangerous positions and making things happen. We are a much worse team without him.

You've forgotten the even easier one in between those 2, vik at Reading

Samo

Gyokeres and godden have 21 goals between them. Cant argue based on stats alone that those have been largely provided by COH.

He is a good player, at times frustrating and MR has built our play around him. For me thats the problem. If he isnt effective then there is no adequate replacement or alternative to push him on to better. Yes he makes us play good football but he also contributes to not winning. Puts some good balls in at times but decision making is inconsistent creating frustration. Easy on the eye but needs to push on if he has ambition to be a top player

seems to be unless Godden or Gyokeres do it in terms of goals then we falter because no one else including COH does.

not anti COH but for us and him to push on he needs to be more effective, to match his indoubted talent

Fewer... sorry, couldn't help it!

Malaka

I despair, utter nonsense. Callum is an asset, exciting to watch and a 100% er.

Johhny Blue

They do, although as an aside I wish he'd stop that desperate pleading look to the ref, hands in the air whenever he gets hit - am sure refs don't give the fouls they should, partly because he seems to go looking for them more often than not as well.
Don’t forget his obligatory post foul limp

Tommo1993

The lack of goals from everyone in midfield is abysmal, and is why we haven’t kept up with the pack. Can’t just pick on COH, but the kinds of positions he gets into without scoring is easier to notice than the others. Wouldn’t dream of not playing him.

Skyblueweeman

His finishing is shite but he would have had a load more assists if our strikers' finishing wasn't also shite.

Not agreeing with the OP but O'Hare has got a lot of qualities and it's fair to expect more goals from someone with his talents. But if he scores more, as Better Days points out, he'd be off.

About the strikers though - whilst the finishing could be better, how long has it been since we've had two strikers in the top 10/11 of the scorers charts with 10 goals in Feb?

We most definitely need more goals from midfield, not just CO'H.

SheafIsGod

I’ve only bothered to read the first few responses and I can already see the myth “O’Hare would have loads more assists if our strikers could finish” has been spouted 2 or 3 times. Complete nonsense. Asides from the Gyokeres chance against Cardiff the other night I’m struggling to think of one clear cut chance he’s created that we’ve missed.

I agree with OP. O’Hare is a detriment to this team. He stops far more attacks with piss-poor passing or finishing than he creates. Fans just love him because he runs around a lot and gets fouled.

We would not miss him at all if he left or has a sustained spell out of the side. Sheaf & Hamer on the other hand would leave a massive hole.

SheafIsGod

Don’t throw facts at people

“…but…but… but he’s won the most fouls!”

GaryMabbuttsLeftKnee

I feel like this will be one of those threads that in five years time Grendel gets his spreadsheet out for when O'Hare is playing higher end Championship at the very least and we are lurking back towards the bottom of league one.

To suggest O'Hare is a burden is absolute madness.

Without him we would be in serious trouble this season. He is the only player we have in attacking midfield with any penetration and ability to beat a man. Would you rather Shipley ambling about and Allen tenaciously chasing but having zero real impact on a game instead?

I can understand the view he is the most frustrating player in the team. He promises so much but rarely delivers in front of goal, which I do think it is perfectly fair to criticize, but as BD suggested, there's no way he'd be with us even if he got say 10 goals a season. To suggest his poor finishing outweighs the hard yards, creativity and overall impact he has on the team is baffling. He's the kind of player that you won't realise how good he is until he is gone or we have to play without him. God help those of us who go every week if we lose him for a sustained period this season.

Skyblueweeman

I feel like this will be one of those threads that in five years time Grendel gets his spreadsheet out for when O'Hare is playing higher end Championship at the very least and we are lurking back towards the bottom of league one.

To suggest O'Hare is a burden is absolute madness.

Without him we would be in serious trouble this season. He is the only player we have in attacking midfield with any penetration and ability to beat a man. Would you rather Shipley ambling about and Allen tenaciously chasing but having zero real impact on a game instead?

I can understand the view he is the most frustrating player in the team. He promises so much but rarely delivers in front of goal, which I do think it is perfectly fair to criticize, but as BD suggested, there's no way he'd be with us even if he got say 10 goals a season. To suggest his poor finishing outweighs the hard yards, creativity and overall impact he has on the team is baffling. He's the kind of player that you won't realise how good he is until he is gone or we have to play without him. God help those of us who go every week if we lose him for a sustained period this season.

Quite proud of myself that this G/Spreadsheet thing is sticking.

Liquid Gold

Not agreeing with the OP but O'Hare has got a lot of qualities and it's fair to expect more goals from someone with his talents. But if he scores more, as Better Days points out, he'd be off.

About the strikers though - whilst the finishing could be better, how long has it been since we've had two strikers in the top 10/11 of the scorers charts with 10 goals in Feb?

We most definitely need more goals from midfield, not just CO'H.
Godden is ice cold I agree but Gyokeres, who I think is a better all round player, seems to make a lot of his chances on his own. When things have been put on a plate for him he fluffs his lines. Waghorn having 1, Walker having 2 then disappearing and the whole midfield thinking it's not their problem is a huge issue though.

It's great that we have two strikers high in the charts but I think with the chances we create they should be doing better. I could have scored that header on Tuesday and heading the ball gives me migraines.

NorthernWisdom

but as BD suggested, there's no way he'd be with us even if he got say 10 goals a season.
Not picking on you particularly, but I always find this an odd argument to make really. We surely want all our players and manager to be in demand from clubs higher up the food chain, don't we? Otherwise we're basically accepting they have little chance in progressing the club.

Liquid Gold

Not picking on you particularly, but I always find this an odd argument to make really. We surely want all our players and manager to be in demand from clubs higher up the food chain, don't we? Otherwise we're basically accepting they have little chance in progressing the club.
I agree, no he wouldn't be with us but we'd be £10m better off

stevefloyd

No he doesn't that's the whole point!
How can someone who has contributed 1 goal all season be described as "looking like a threat"?
He's a great player, and offers everything EXCEPT a threat.
Ok take him out of the team and then who else looks like a threat? If he was lucky enough to play for Man City, and no I am not advocating he is good enough, lots of people would be drooling over him with his work rate alone !

skybluegod

I think I was one of the first to say that O'Hare hasn't been good enough in terms of output with goals and assists.

But it's drivel he's a burden on the team. The frustration is his lack of development but his overall importance to the team is probably one of the most vital. He's is the only attacking midfielder in the squad that is capable at this level. His biggest issue is that he doesn't seem to have the quickness of thought at times, his passes are always a little too late or he can't decide on which shot to take, and messes it up. One day I'm confident it will just click. Let's hope it's sooner rather than later.

As NW has said it's a stupid argument that if he scored and assisted he wouldn't be here, ultimately under the current regime we want him to become to good for us so the team can hopefully be improved longer term and club kept running at this level.

Evo1883

Godden is ice cold I agree but Gyokeres, who I think is a better all round player, seems to make a lot of his chances on his own. When things have been put on a plate for him he fluffs his lines. Waghorn having 1, Walker having 2 then disappearing and the whole midfield thinking it's not their problem is a huge issue though.

It's great that we have two strikers high in the charts but I think with the chances we create they should be doing better. I could have scored that header on Tuesday and heading the ball gives me migraines.

I don't actually think vik did anything wrong with the header .. he headed it down which is always the advice and the keeper knew nothing about it and comes away looking like Gordon Banks

pusbccfc

I’ve only bothered to read the first few responses and I can already see the myth “O’Hare would have loads more assists if our strikers could finish” has been spouted 2 or 3 times. Complete nonsense. Asides from the Gyokeres chance against Cardiff the other night I’m struggling to think of one clear cut chance he’s created that we’ve missed.

I agree with OP. O’Hare is a detriment to this team. He stops far more attacks with piss-poor passing or finishing than he creates. Fans just love him because he runs around a lot and gets fouled.

We would not miss him at all if he left or has a sustained spell out of the side. Sheaf & Hamer on the other hand would leave a massive hole.

Weird that you've forgotten the other 3/4 chances.

Particularly the Hamer one.

Evo1883

Don’t throw facts at people

“…but…but… but he’s won the most fouls!”
I mean if we are to be pedantic , Sheaf being turned like a 5 year old for Cardiffs first goal would be classed as detrimental to the team as they scored from it .. yet everybody is giving him MOTM , whereas KANE was slated and rightly so for a similar thing against Bournemouth.

Tell me , is sheaf ACTUALLY god ?

GaryMabbuttsLeftKnee

Of course, I agree. It was more that it isn't 'he can't score = he's a burden' or 'he scores loads so he's not with us'. There is a middle ground which he currently is in. I probably articulated that poorly.

skybluegod

I don't actually think vik did anything wrong with the header .. he headed it down which is always the advice and the keeper knew nothing about it and comes away looking like Gordon Banks

Given the time and space he had he should have headed across the keeper, instead he headed into exactly where the keeper was. So yeah the keeper knew nothing about it but he shouldn't have stood a chance if vik had been clinical.

ccfcricoh

Think O'Hare suffers from having no (decent enough) competition, he's an absolute shoe in every week.

Played every single game last season and hasn't missed a single game this season.

For the amount he gets fouled that's incredible.

In League 1 he was dropped/rested/injured a few games from memory and then came back firing, he needs to be rested for a couple of games now but we don't really have that luxury.

Incredible work rate and is always dangerous, but has to improve in the final 3rd, its all good saying if he scored more or assisted more he'd be playing in the Prem, but when you'd rather a chance fell to any other player over a #10 that's not good enough.

If our issue is in the final 3rd and we have 2 strikers in double digit goals for me its obvious its an issue.

Don't understand how everyone says we're shit without him, when he's always on the pitch! I would sit him out for one game and get some freshness back into him.

Must try and keep him in the summer along with Hamer/Sheaf/Gyokeres to build a team around them

stevefloyd

Lets put it this way...If all the managers in the championship were asked if they would like O'hare in their team I think thrre would be more yesses than no's

Grendel

Has he scored a headed goal at all?

Users who are viewing this thread