Ok, now my hard drive issue... (1 Viewer)

I'mARealWizard

Thanks for the responses about my internet connection (turns out that they think it's a dodgy router)

Now onto my next problem. I have a SMART fatal error with my hard drive being reported (for quite some time now LOL!)

I have recently purchased a new drive and installed it today.

I loaded the OS from the disk I got.

All fine so far.

I then loaded the drivers from the disc, but there appeared to be some problems...

The screen resolution is wrong, I can't get the wireless working, the sound updated a driver and now can't locate etc...

Some drivers wouldn't install because windows required a digital signature!?!?

So, I have a crappy Dell inspiron 1545 running Vista 64. The new hard drive works like a dream, but it's the drivers!

I went to the Dell site and downloaded all the drivers I 'needed' to. Some wouldn't install (like I said above) and some said that they wouldn't install for some reason or another.

So, now I've switched back to the old hard drive and I've checked device manager for the drivers, and they all appear (to me) to be windows originated.

Using the new hard drive, Windows Update wouldn't work and so I couldn't download Service packs and updates etc...

Any help again? :whistle:

Stevec189

I find this site increadably useful and it has helped me on numerous occassions. To get a response you have to join (it is free) but you can cruise the forums and see if anyone else has had a similar problem (bet they have!)

I would also consider upgrading from Vista to 7 - it works just fine!
PUSB

I'mARealWizard

Hahaha I chuckled at your IT failings and the irony of having a smart error. What is the disk that you have?

Just had a brief look into this problem and you can copy drivers from one hard drive to another http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/wind...-windows-drivers-from-one-machine-to-another/

The way you were doing it is the way I would of done it though.. I get the feeling you're using Vista.. Vista sucks, maybe upgrade to windows 7? :p

:laugh:

It's a samsung hard drive. The laptop is only just over 3 years old (windows 7 came out just after I bought it and I couldn't be arsed upgrading with the free offer).

If the link above isn't easy (i.e. doesn't involved copy and pasting the files into my external hard drive) the mood I'm in I'll wait until the laptop just dies!

:(

I'mARealWizard

Wowzer!

It's just what I was hoping for!

Now, just one more thing...

When I change to the new Hard Drive again, do I double click on the drivers? Or do I have to install them another way?

I'm not quite sure I'd know which drivers belong to which device :(

hughescov

:slap: turned down a free offer! Haha

So you installed drivers from their retrospective disks? Maybe they just need updating.. You have to fix the first problem of getting your network connection working though (unless you can wire it first). If you can't then download the wireless driver, save it to a USB or external hard drive and install it onto your new hard drive. Then try update all the other drivers through device manager.

I'mARealWizard

Then try update all the other drivers through device manager.

...which is done by right clicking the device and searching for the driver right?

Will it only show appropriate ones, or will I have to find out which goes with which?

I forgot to thank you before, I'm a bit frazzled after 7 hours of playing with this effing nonsense!

hughescov

Oh, and additionally, there was nothing to do with 'windows' in the drivers I just backed up.

Should there be? :wave:

No, that shouldn't be an issue.

...which is done by right clicking the device and searching for the driver right?

Will it only show appropriate ones, or will I have to find out which goes with which?

I forgot to thank you before, I'm a bit frazzled after 7 hours of playing with this effing nonsense!

Right clicking and searching the internet.. that's why I say try get the internet working first. Then it will just do all the work for you, can't remember if it suggests updates or just does them :claping hands:

I'mARealWizard

No, that shouldn't be an issue.

Right clicking and searching the internet.. that's why I say try get the internet working first. Then it will just do all the work for you, can't remember if it suggests updates or just does them :claping hands:

I'm gonna start after I've finished my breakfast.

Wish me luck! :wave:

I'mARealWizard

:laugh:

Hahaha!

After paying for the pro-version and updating all my drivers (much easier thab using the Dell site), I no longer have the SMART error :facepalm:

I might try the new hard drive later, as it's got over double the memory, but for the moment I'm thankful it works!

Many thanks :wave:

Users who are viewing this thread