Out of Contract Players (1 Viewer)

CovScott88

Have the board actually come out and said that these players are unlikely to be offered new contracts, because of the financial situation?
I read something recently about this, but can't remember whether it was a statement from the board (as infrequent as they are) or on here/606.
We really would be down to the bare bones if they all left.

As far as I was aware, the players are Kieren Westwood, Stephen O'Halloran, Lee Carsley, Marlon King, Isaac Osbourne, Aron Gunnarsson, Michael McIndoe, Danny Ireland and Michael Quirke.
This would leave us with a squad of Richard Keogh, Sammy Clingan, James McPake, David Bell, Freddy Eastwood, Lukas Jutkiewicz, Gary Deegan, Chris Hussey, Martin Cranie, Carl Baker, Gary McSheffrey, Ben Turner (though he could easily be sold), Clive Platt, Richard Wood, Jordan Clarke, Roy O'Donovan and Nathan Cameron - which is certainly not strong enough.

smileycov

Facebook User
King and Gunna are the only 2 that we would miss....(based on the fact westy is going to go of course!!) so i am hoping if AT has no transfer budget he can convince whoever to at least keep these 2.

bamalamafizzfazz

I appreciate it is important to evaluate the remaining playing squad if all players whose contracts are due to expire are not renewed but this does not offer any indication towards the starting eleven or the squad as a whole for next season.

Of course players will leave over the summer and even though there may appear to be no money available more players will come in. Even if these are free transfers from lower league football who is to say that they would not make the grade in the championship. There is also the opprtunity to bring in both short and long term loan signings to really boost the squad numbers.

Of course I could be talking a load of rhubarb if the transfer embargo is not lifted and if this is the case then... SIGN EM UP!! :D

CovKingChris

Facebook User
No goalkeepers. Hmmmnn. I would have thought that SISU would have learnt about ffering contracts earlier with the whole Westwood saga. The only ones out of the out of contract players in the list above that I would like to stay are Quirke, King, Gunnar, Osbourne and Carsley.

RansonRarrr

Yea - I agree SmileyCov - I think Westy will certainly be out the door quicker than we can say Sky Blue Army.

I have to say I think the new board will manage to secure Marlon King for next season, It is obvious his value add to the team and I would be very surprised if they weren't working on offering him a deal now.

However - Only thing that concerns me is whether Marlon himself wants to stay? He sometimes looks extremly frustrated on the pitch with the service he gets from our midfield and perhaps he feels he could do better now that he is up to his full fitness. I would love to see him in Sky Blue next season and I think he would be the boards main priority. (However I am writing this in Sky Blue tinted glasses)

ajsccfc

They haven't said that no expiring contracts will be renewed, but Dulieu did say that it's inevitable that players will have to move on. The natural assumption is that the players on the bigger deals coming to an end like Westwood and King are most likely to be on their way.

CovScott88

Surely by letting likes of O'Halloran, Osbourne, McIndoe and Westwood go, this would free enough wages to offer Marlon a good wage?
They must be able to see that his worth to the team is indispensible? We would not get another player of Marlon's quality, without having to pay a decent amount for him, which of course we don't have. We certainly won't find one for free.

RansonRarrr

Surely by letting likes of O'Halloran, Osbourne, McIndoe and Westwood go, this would free enough wages to offer Marlon a good wage?
They must be able to see that his worth to the team is indispensible? We would not get another player of Marlon's quality, without having to pay a decent amount for him, which of course we don't have. We certainly won't find one for free.

My thoughts exactly! PUSB :claping hands:

Sky Blue Sheepy

You seem to forgot that time and time again this board have failed to demonstrate logic of that degree though... :blue:

skybluejelly

the only thing about combining all there wages together to pay marlon is if he gets injured(or suspended) all our eggs are in one basket and if we committ to him it may be like the old days where we have older players on extorionate wages not playing for us.

sky_blue_up_north

Marlon King is critical to any promotion push, to get a similar player we would be looking at 4 to 5 million. There are plenty of 'keepers around so not worried about Westy, I also believe Gunner is replaceable

kg82

The keeper situation is not, as most have said, as much of a priority as King. It will either be Cammy Bell or Joe Murphy I suspect and out of those I'd prefer Murphy just because he's proven at this level. I'd also like Quirke to stay. I really hope Hoffman can do something because if it stays as it is I could see the likes of Turner, Wood, Cranie and Clingan being sold off also.

CovScott88

As others have said, it will be alot easier to find a goalkeeper to replace Westwood, than it will be to find a striker who is capable of scoring 20 goals a season, certainly not for free anyway.
In my opinion, all of the out of contract players are replaceable except Marlon, that is including Westwood and Gunnarsson. Though saying that, i'd obviously still like us to keep all 3, along with Lee Carsley and Michael Quirke.

CovScott88

They haven't said that no expiring contracts will be renewed, but Dulieu did say that it's inevitable that players will have to move on. The natural assumption is that the players on the bigger deals coming to an end like Westwood and King are most likely to be on their way.

Thanks mate.

kg82

Didn't realise this was the, 'WE MUST KEEP HOLD OF MARLON KING THREAD'

It's not, it's about out of contract players, of which King is one - people are just stating that they would like him to sign a new contract, their opinion on the matter.

bamalamafizzfazz

I appreciate people are entitled to their opinion and to be fair to yourself you didn't bang on about it. Let's look at it positively and realise that there will be a lot of dead wood going out of the door presenting opportunities to academy players and new players from other clubs.

MK's quality is top class but Coventry City existed before he came along and will exist long after...

ashbyjan

The only one who might be kept on is Quirke - all the rest will be allowed to go to balance books and offers for Turner, Juke, Clingan, Cranie, Eastwood would be welcomed.
Side for next season could well be:
Quirke
Keough McPake Wood Hussey

Bell Deegan Baker McSheffrey

Platt O'Donovan

Doesn't look too promising........

Great_Expectations

That is worst case scenario though - perhaps a compromise would be nobody was sold and we keep king, but equally we bought nobody in which would leave a team of

Ireland

Keogh Cranie Turner Hussey

Bell Clingan Deegan

McSheff

Juke/Eastwood King

Not that weak a side, add a goalkeeper, a left back and another centre mid and that is a capable side. Perhaps not strong enough to realistically challenge for the play offs but would be upper middle half at least, and may even be capable of a play off push with a bit of luck.

kg82

I appreciate people are entitled to their opinion and to be fair to yourself you didn't bang on about it. Let's look at it positively and realise that there will be a lot of dead wood going out of the door presenting opportunities to academy players and new players from other clubs.

MK's quality is top class but Coventry City existed before he came along and will exist long after...

Yup, that is true BUT the other argument to that is we have JUST existed and for the last 10 years it's been in this division where we have stagnated as a club and the only signs of getting out are the wrong ones. Would it not make sense to at least give the fans some hope with a bit of ambition? The only real ambition they can show now is getting King - Westwood's gone. I'm going to be gutted when Westwood finally leaves, but getting King would cushion the blow and SISU have to realise that. Yes, they're short on cash but I'm afraid they have a football club to run, I think they should be reminded about that every so often.

Nonleagueherewecome

Sense? Logic? With SISU? Love the optimism, guys! They said we have to be "self sustainable" by summer:they won't have the foresight to realise that players on contracts will be saleable for profit later.

Kev Monks said on CWR the other week that the transfer embargo prevents us from offering new contracts. I'm not sure if that's the case or not, but still I'll be amazed if we even get good young Bosmans from the lower leagues, it'll most likely be the skeleton squad we're left with plus the youth team.

bamalamafizzfazz

Yup, that is true BUT the other argument to that is we have JUST existed and for the last 10 years it's been in this division where we have stagnated as a club and the only signs of getting out are the wrong ones. Would it not make sense to at least give the fans some hope with a bit of ambition? The only real ambition they can show now is getting King - Westwood's gone. I'm going to be gutted when Westwood finally leaves, but getting King would cushion the blow and SISU have to realise that. Yes, they're short on cash but I'm afraid they have a football club to run, I think they should be reminded about that every so often.

I completely agree and as always on this board I am an optimist. All I am saying is that we don't know what is around the corner. We may get big investment in the summer and be able to bring in another 10 players of Marlon's quality however unlikely it may seem. Which would be better? Holding onto one quality player on a bigger pay packet on the 'all your eggs in one basket' scenario or a larger squad that can withstand setbacks such as injuries and suspensions?

Its fine to make a team of remaining players who are not out of contract but if any of these starting elevens are correct on the first day of next season I will eat my hat!

Paxman II

There is quality in our squad but we are top heavy with a few who are perennial 'sick notes' such as Osborne. Let these go. The wages we free up could better quality to compliment the squad.
As for Westwood and King I suggest the board get their finger out. Losing Westwood would not be so surprising but to lose King (our best player) and a striker who would be needed for any serious intentions on the pitch next season it would be unforgivable to let him walk away and fans would see the lack of ambition should he be allowed to do so and season ticket sales will be affected.

kg82

I completely agree and as always on this board I am an optimist. All I am saying is that we don't know what is around the corner. We may get big investment in the summer and be able to bring in another 10 players of Marlon's quality however unlikely it may seem. Which would be better? Holding onto one quality player on a bigger pay packet on the 'all your eggs in one basket' scenario or a larger squad that can withstand setbacks such as injuries and suspensions?

Its fine to make a team of remaining players who are not out of contract but if any of these starting elevens are correct on the first day of next season I will eat my hat!
That is optimistic! I hope you're right about the investment but it's one of those things I can just see being talked about with City and not actually happening.

Disorganised1

Bookmarking ~ :pimp: ~ What type of hat is it ?

Users who are viewing this thread