Paddy Ashdown (1 Viewer)

Westendlad

Just heard Paddy Ashdown has passed away aged 77.

Grendel

I met him once at a lecture he gave. Excellent speaker and very different to the pipsqueak politicians we now have across all the parties and especially the one he led.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Quite liked him - for a politician. Mind you, as someone who was never, and was never likely to get anywhere near, having power it's a lot easier. Never had the opportunity to fuck up or get corrupted. Same as John Smith.

Always felt a little bit sorry for him with the Paddy Pantsdown thing. Sure, he deserved stick for the affair, but after that it's all he's really known for. Yet Boris has a whole host of *alleged* affairs and instances of cheating on his (ex?) wife yet it's never been a big thing in the papers. He's got the name Johnson and the initials BJ for Christ's sake. And spends much of his time acting like a massive dick.

rob9872

Rarely agreed with him but a decent man and a man of principles who put party and country before himself - something not many can say these days. I disliked him but respected him in the same way I do Caroline Lucas now.

oucho

Seemed like a decent bloke to me. A bit pompous in terms of how he came across, but you could see his heart was in a good place.

Users who are viewing this thread