Penalties (1 Viewer)

pastythegreat

So not so much a concern about how many we've given away (although it is still a massive concern, we've been dreadful for it all season with no signs AT ALL that it will stop any time soon) but more about the goalkeepers.
In a season and a half since our goalkeeping overhaul and bringing in a completely fresh GK set up, we haven't saved a single penalty. Between Wilson and Marosi we haven't saved a single penalty, not even in cup shoot outs. I get that its more luck with penalty saves and the striker will always be favourite to score, but not a single save, given how many we continue to give away is a huge cause for concern.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

kg82

So not so much a concern about how many we've given away (although it is still a massive concern, we've been dreadful for it all season with no signs AT ALL that it will stop any time soon) but more about the goalkeepers.
In a season and a half since our goalkeeping overhaul amd bringing in a completely fresh GK set up, we haven't saved a single penalty. Between Wilson and Marosi we haven't saved a single penalty, not even in cup shoot outs. I get that its more luck with penalty saves amd the striker will always be favourite to score, but not a single save, given how many we continue to give away is a huge cause for concern.

If the penalties are too good what can you do?! No chance Wilson’s saving that today. Best way to stop penalties going in... stop giving them away!

skyblue1991

We're got to be top of the list for most pens given away this season in the league

Sent from my I3113 using Tapatalk

Adge

What is a penalty? It’s a free shot at goal from 12 yards so obviously the odds are always stacked against the keeper.
I’d be interested to see the percentage of penalties that are scored-must be 95% surely?

shmmeee

What is a penalty? It’s a free shot at goal from 12 yards so obviously the odds are always stacked against the keeper.
I’d be interested to see the percentage of penalties that are scored-must be 95% surely?

75% apparently.

mrtrench

So many of them naïve and foolhardy, including today's. I don't blame the keepers - a penalty is only saved if the taker fucks up. I blame the defenders giving them away.

And yet, even if some of them have been grifted by the opposition, we don't seem to have learned anything in the opposite box either: drawing the clumsy tackle or going down in the box when fouled. From a moral perspective I appreciate and applaud our honesty - but it's a part of the modern game it seems and we are green as grass.

kg82

So many of them naïve and foolhardy, including today's. I don't blame the keepers - a penalty is only saved if the taker fucks up. I blame the defenders giving them away.

And yet, even if some of them have been grifted by the opposition, we don't seem to have learned anything in the opposite box either: drawing the clumsy tackle or going down in the box when fouled. From a moral perspective I appreciate and applaud our honesty - but it's a part of the modern game it seems and we are green as grass.
Can agree with that. There was one today where I was screaming at Biamou to go down.

Johhny Blue

Probably 96 if it wasn’t for Gary Breen

play_in_skyblue_stripes

Seems a certainty any penalty we concede will be a goal. Over time there was an outside chance for a save one and great celebration when it happened. However with us this year, a save, or total miss (next time please), seems a very remote possibility worryingly.
No factual evidence though for this but get impression penalty taking skills have improved in English game.

clint van damme

In a season and a half since our goalkeeping overhaul and bringing in a completely fresh GK set up, we haven't saved a single penalty. Between Wilson and Marosi we haven't saved a single penalty, not even in cup shoot outs. I get that its more luck with penalty saves and the striker will always be favourite to score, but not a single save, given how many we continue to give away is a huge cause for concern.

I think Robins should get the keepers in for extra penalty training and then encourage the outfield players to give more penalties away so we can really try and remedy the root of the problem.

Mild-Mannered Janitor

Kindest Bloke on CCFC / Maker of CCFC Dreams
Promotions and being the newcomers in the league always makes it difficult with the pace of the game will always put us higher in the errors/penalties given away, would be nice for less but probably a reality this season

Brighton Sky Blue

Promotions and being the newcomers in the league always makes it difficult with the pace of the game will always put us higher in the errors/penalties given away, would be nice for less but probably a reality this season

True but today you just saw it happening for an eternity before he dived in, give the keeper more of a chance and keep yourself on the pitch in the process

Legia Sky Blue

The thing that's been most frustrating is that hardly any of the penalties conceded have been made preventing almost certain goals. With all the ones I can remember the opposition still had a lot to do to score and were certainly in more difficult positions to do so than from the resultant penalty kick.

stupot07

No knocking it but that analysis is from 2010, it would be interesting to see what the % is now as the laws have been changed and are enforced to make it harder for the keeper, with them having to stay on the line now.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Frank Sidebottom

Championship penalty scored and missed this season.

66 scored and 13 missed I think.
Which I think is about 16/17% of penalties missed.... So statistically speaking the next one conceded should be missed.

Users who are viewing this thread