Penalties (1 Viewer)

PVA

The concern I have with his penalties, or at least the one the other night, is that he doesn't seem to give the keeper the eyes.

Usually players with that style of penalty watch the keeper until the last moment, to see which way they go.

Wright seemed to look at the ball the entire time.

It seems to work, and long may it continue, but I'm not sure how he knows he's sending the keeper the wrong way 😅

Warwickhunt

The concern I have with his penalties, or at least the one the other night, is that he doesn't seem to give the keeper the eyes.

Usually players with that style of penalty watch the keeper until the last moment, to see which way they go.

Wright seemed to look at the ball the entire time.

It seems to work, and long may it continue, but I'm not sure how he knows he's sending the keeper the wrong way 😅
As someone on here said he has got the demeanour of a lizard eating a worm when he takes a penalty 😂😂

Jonny

Big fan of how much he backs himself. Said in his interview with Winch on CWR yesterday that he feels under zero rush to take the penalty, he's fully in control of the situation. Absolute class.

Reactions: vow

oscillatewildly

Very strong 💪 penalty taken today, bravo
Love a high (corner placed) penalty. GK's can always scramble low to even a well placed (never a perfectly placed) low corner penalty but never a high one.
Have to say though that some of his previous (technique) have been questionable.

Jonny

Love a high (corner placed) penalty. GK's can always scramble low to even a well placed (never a perfectly placed) low corner penalty but never a high one.
Have to say though that some of his previous (technique) have been questionable.
Does technique matter if you have a 92.307692307% conversion rate though?

Mucca Mad Boys

How can you nitpick his technique? This is armchair football coach stuff. His penalty record speaks for himself here and in Turkey.

Last edited:

oscillatewildly

How can you nitpick his technique? This armchair football coach stuff. His penalty record speaks for himself here and in Turkey.
Yeah it's always difficult to question technique when a penalty is dispatched - I get what you're saying.
I mean, just look at David Beckham's against Argentina, WC 2002!

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

He struck it with power to beat the keeper, but I actually thought the placement was at quite a saveable position.

skybluegod

The Chelsea sports psychologist did a really interesting chat on a podcast a few years ago and one point he made when discussing the mental side of the game and coping with pressure is around penalties. He said players miss when they try and take the perfect penalty, when 99% of the time a bang average penalty results in a goal. Aiming for average is actually the better option, and Haji does that well, he doesn't overcomplicate it.

hamertime

Hes so good with both of his feet, the 2nd goal wouldnt of been scored by the vast majority of players as he controlled it and shot with his left.

Hobo

I want to see some of these penalty experts out on the pitch at half time at the next home game.

JohnWH

For those who didn't see

Pressure on taking the penalties…

“Yeah, I'm the one taking it. So, I decided when I shoot, I know how I shoot. So yeah, I don't feel pressured or rushed or anything.

It's just kind of confidence in the moment, I feel confident taking penalties I always have, and I believe in my ball striking abilities, so I know if I hit it correctly that, no keepers going to save it.”

Aren't more than a few commenting that penalties seem mostly head game pressure? Nice to hear it's good and confidently relaxed inside Haji's head

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

For those who didn't see

Pressure on taking the penalties…

“Yeah, I'm the one taking it. So, I decided when I shoot, I know how I shoot. So yeah, I don't feel pressured or rushed or anything.

It's just kind of confidence in the moment, I feel confident taking penalties I always have, and I believe in my ball striking abilities, so I know if I hit it correctly that, no keepers going to save it.”

Aren't more than a few commenting that penalties seem mostly head game pressure? Nice to hear it's good and confidently relaxed inside Haji's head
While it's good he's relaxed and confident stuff like that makes it almost nailed on you miss your next one.

False9

The Chelsea sports psychologist did a really interesting chat on a podcast a few years ago and one point he made when discussing the mental side of the game and coping with pressure is around penalties. He said players miss when they try and take the perfect penalty, when 99% of the time a bang average penalty results in a goal. Aiming for average is actually the better option, and Haji does that well, he doesn't overcomplicate it.
Dabo should have listed to that podcast.

Never scored in the right end but decides to put it top bins in. A shoot out

JohnWH

Step Brothers Ryan GIF

Users who are viewing this thread