Pentecost celebrations (1 Viewer)

Sky Blue Pete

Next weekend

As this is the moment in the church calendar when we celebrate the coming of gods spirit to the world will people be taking part in any special activity?

If not, how come Christmas and Easter are celebrated and not Pentecost?

Any thoughts?

Last edited:
J

Jack Griffin

Next weekend

As this is the moment in the church calendar when we celebrate the coming of gods spirit to the world will people be taking part in any special activity?

If not, how come Christmas and Easter are celebrated and not Pentecost?

Any thoughts?

I think religion is twaddle.

Otis

I think religion is twaddle.

Yep.

Sorry, each and to their own and all that, but for me God doesn't exist and the bible doesn't make sense

If we accept that there is a God and that he's omnipresent, sees everything and loves us all, he's one mean sadistic, cruel individual to sit there and watch paedophiles abuse, torture and kill children and watch rape and let people die horrible deaths in complete and utter agony.

In the words of John Lennon 'God is a concept by which we measure our pain.'

bigfatronssba

Yep.

Sorry, each and to their own and all that, but for me God doesn't exist and the bible doesn't make sense

If we accept that there is a God and that he's omnipresent, sees everything and loves us all, he's one mean sadistic, cruel individual to sit there and watch paedophiles abuse, torture and kill children and watch rape and let people die horrible deaths in complete and utter agony.

Whilst I respect your opinion, I imagine you still join in with Easter and Christmas celebrations?

I think that is what the OP is getting at, no matter how its dressed up, 99.9% of people participate in these celebrations yet no one (even religious people) celebrate the most important festival.

BTW I wouldn't say I am a religious person, but I have enormous respect for what the church stands for.

Nick

Administrator
Yep.

I bet you tell kids santa isn't real!!!

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
You're born, you die. The bit in the middle is called life. That's it. No god, spooks, invisble friends. It's nature.

Sky Blue Pete

I love your intelligent postings Otis and your wonderful sense of humour however on this I fear you misunderstand the term omnipresent and like many in our culture have been innoculated to the amazing Christian message that doesn't avoid the hideous part of life that you mention and that goes on in our lives and in the world but is about a god who is there with us and working through us in each of the difficult situations we have to deal with

Absolutely entitled to our own opinions though

Last edited:

Otis

I love your intelligent postings Otis and your wonderful sense of humour however on this I fear you misunderstand the term omnipresent and like many in our culture have been innoculated to the amazing Christian message that doesn't avoid the hideous part of life that you mention goes on in the world and our lives but is there with us and working through us in each of the difficult situations we have to deal with

Absolutely entitled to our own opinions though

My next door neighbours are devout Christians. They are lovely people. Have a number of friends who are quite religious. It's just not for me and I very much have a problem with creationism as opposed to evolution.

Would never shout anyone down over it though. Think it's arouind 70% of scientists don't believe in God and I'm very with them. :)

smouch1975

Pete. We appreciate your views. It's 50 days since Easter. The deliverance of Christ on the apostles. The Jewish harvest. We are all most happy for you to crack on.

This day has not been celebrated in the UK for fifty years. It has been replaced by another bank holiday, we have our own pagan harvest. And there are no presents or chocolate. Fill your boots. Sing hallelujah from the spire.

Really. Each to their own.

Otis

Whilst I respect your opinion, I imagine you still join in with Easter and Christmas celebrations?

I think that is what the OP is getting at, no matter how its dressed up, 99.9% of people participate in these celebrations yet no one (even religious people) celebrate the most important festival.

BTW I wouldn't say I am a religious person, but I have enormous respect for what the church stands for.

I do celebrate Christmas and Easter. Christmas for me is filled with presents, crackers, family gatherings and time off. Easter is about chocloate and Easter Egg Hunts. At no point does God or religion enter into any part of my celebrations.

And as Smouch has said, a lot of these celebrations are Pagan in origin anyway.

J

Jack Griffin

Originally Christmas was a pagan festival to bring some cheer to the bleak mid winter. There is no mention of the birth date of Jesus in the Bible. The celebration of Jesus's birth was adopted by the Church in Rome some time in the 4th century as a way of changing a belief then widely held by Christians that he was a spirit entity by showing rather that he was born and lived as a man.

Easter well, that comes from the Great Mother Goddess celebrated by people in Northern Europe.

Still, whatever its origin, its all nonsense to me.. hope you can respect that ;-)

SkyblueBazza

Yep.

I wonder if those that believe the stories in the bible also believe those they might read in the Daily Mail?

Worry is mine!

PUSB

SkyblueBazza

You're born, you die. The bit in the middle is called life. That's it. No god, spooks, invisble friends. It's nature.

Missus told me off for telling the kids "There are only three REAL certainties for you about life. 1. You're born 2. You die 3. YOUR mom & dad will always live you come hell or highwater

Admittedly they were only 12 & 7 but why not say it as it is?

PUSB

Houchens Head

If you'd been brought up like me Sky Blue Pete, believe me mate, you wouldn't like religion! I hate all religion and what it stands for. How can someone say there's an invisible God and yet not believe in fairies and unicorns? I stopped having imaginary friends when I was about 8 years old! As for celebrating christmas and easter, no, I don't "celebrate" them. I just enjoy a good old piss-up like everyone else to relieve the boredom! Bit of a stupid thread in a football forum, anyway! Keep religious beliefs where they belong. PRIVATE!

Sky Blue Pete

Off topic chat you Banana. Course it's nothing to do with football. I got told off by colleagues at work for answering my eldest daughter honestly about Father Christmas. Didn't want her growing up to find out he was a myth and thinking I had lied to her about Jesus too.

Thought as it was a Sunday that I would ask the question. No bible bashing just interested in the question.

Anyway the churches in Coventry are getting together to practically bless the city next Saturday as a small pointer to god blessing his his creation with the spirit many years ago.

Be good to bless you guys too

Grendel

Excellent. Some guy posts an innocent post about religion and he is ripped apart and mocked.

How nice.

TheRoyalScam

Off topic chat you Banana. Course it's nothing to do with football. I got told off by colleagues at work for answering my eldest daughter honestly about Father Christmas. Didn't want her growing up to find out he was a myth and thinking I had lied to her about Jesus too.

Thought as it was a Sunday that I would ask the question. No bible bashing just interested in the question.

Anyway the churches in Coventry are getting together to practically bless the city next Saturday as a small pointer to god blessing his his creation with the spirit many years ago.

Be good to bless you guys too

I would argue that you've lied to her about your 'god'.

Grendel

I would argue that you've lied to her about your 'god'.

Why even post that? The guy has faith and is brave enough to post it in here. Good for him.

Houchens Head

Excellent. Some guy posts an innocent post about religion and he is ripped apart and mocked.

How nice.

If people start threads about religion or politics then expect to be ripped apart! God is in people's imagination - brain washed as children so they behave and hopefully grow up to be good human beings. What a load of bollox! Has anyone actually SEEN this so-called 'almighty god thing / spirit / ghost'? No. Because it doesn't exist!!
Like I said earlier, I hate ALL religion! It causes more wars and deaths than all the diseases and accidents on earth have ever done!

Otis

That's why we all love you man!!

Was it your wife who came from Volgograd? Where is the name from or what does it mean?

'Grad' means City. Volgograd is on the banks of the river Volga, hence, Volgograd. Was of course more famously known as Stalingrad, but that name was changed after the death of Uncle Joe and the true horrors of what he had done came to light,

My wife is indeed Russian, which means my little girl is half Russian, half English. Rushlish as I call her.

Luckily for me the good half is English.

Ohh and on for religion front, I actually fell in love with the nurse who cared for my mum in hospital once. She was beautiful, but a devout Evangalist.

Her name was Hannah. She did have sisters too funnily enough. She desperately wanted me to be a believer and so bought me a bible (which I tried reading everyday) and I ended up going to church every Sunday for a few weeks.

In the end though she told me she had a decision and choice to make and had to choose between God and me, as she felt there was a conflict.

God won on penalities.:( Never forgiven him for that.

Not nice having a menage a trois when the third person involved in the relationship is a deity.

Last edited:

Sky Blue Pete

If people start threads about religion or politics then expect to be ripped apart! God is in people's imagination - brain washed as children so they behave and hopefully grow up to be good human beings. What a load of bollox! Has anyone actually SEEN this so-called 'almighty god thing / spirit / ghost'? No. Because it doesn't exist!!
Like I said earlier, I hate ALL religion! It causes more wars and deaths than all the diseases and accidents on earth have ever done!

Think greed, selfishness and unadulterated power have caused more deaths than religion unless by religion you mean following blindly a belief or dogma and acting without due care and attention??

Personally I don't feel ripped apart. I'm interested in the opinions of other people. Nothing I say about what I have seen will change your opinion and as we read Jesus saying to Thomas in the upper room. Blessed are you that have seen and believe but more blessed are they that have not seen and still believe.

There is a whole host of good done by followers of this Jesus and as I say the churches in Coventry are coming together next Saturday to share that blessing with our city in practical ways.

God bless houchen

Sky Blue Pete

'Grad' means City. Volgograd is on the banks of the river Volga, hence, Volgograd. Was of course more famously known as Stalingrad, but that name was changed after the death of Uncle Joe and the true horrors of what he had done came to light,

My wife is indeed Russian, which means my little girl is half Russian, half English. Rushlish as I call her.

Ohh and on for religion front, I actually fell in love with the nurse who cared for my mum in hospital once. She was beautiful, but a devout Evangalist.

Her name was Hannah. She did have sisters too funnily enough. She desperately wanted me to be a believer and so bought me a bible (which I tried reading everyday) and I ended up going to church every Sunday for a few weeks.

In the end though she told me she had a decision and choice to make and had to choose between God and me, as she felt there was a conflict.

Not nice having a menage a trois when the third person involved in the relationship is a deity.
Thought it was something simple like that.

Must have been powerful symbol when they changed the name.

And Stalin a good example of a genocidal lunatic who rejected all influence of god. Not that that makes all atheists lunatics in the same way a hitler or the klan or the Taliban represent the catholic, Christian or Islam in any true and inspiring way.
God bless you and your family Otis

Otis

Thought it was something simple like that.

Must have been powerful symbol when they changed the name.

And Stalin a good example of a genocidal lunatic who rejected all influence of god. Not that that makes all atheists lunatics in the same way a hitler or the klan or the Taliban represent the catholic, Christian or Islam in any true and inspiring way.
God bless you and your family Otis

Thank you. I'm sure to have such a belief must be really reassuring and heartwarming for you and give you real purpose. If it gives you peace and harmony then fair play to you.

Next door they are always smiling and happy, despite having 4 kids! ;)

I think if you are religious it should be more of an individual thing. Your own personal relationship with God. It's organsied religion where it all tends to go tits up and then we have endless wars in the name of religion.

Sky Blue Pete

Thank you. I'm sure to have such a belief must be really reassuring and heartwarming for you and give you real purpose. If it gives you peace and harmony then fair play to you.

Next door they are always smiling and happy, despite having 4 kids! ;)

I think if you are religious it should be more of an individual thing. Your own personal relationship with God. It's organsied religion where it all tends to go tits up and then we have endless wars in the name of religion.
It's funny that there is peace but more a real burden for continuing the work of Jesus kingdom and that can be really tiring and frustrating. Thanks I don't disagree

Otis

It's funny that there is peace but more a real burden for continuing the work of Jesus kingdom and that can be really tiring and frustrating. Thanks I don't disagree

Whoa, the burden of working in the name of Jesus AND trying to get CCFC home!! Double whammy!!

How on earth do you cope?

Houchens Head

This is what religion means to me! I hate all priests, nuns, vicars, parsons, bishops, popes etc, etc.......

Users who are viewing this thread