People of coventry wheres the support? (1 Viewer)

moleyskyblue

With the "keep coventry city in the city" petition now at around the 12,000 mark cant help thinking to myself with a population of 300,000 in coventry alone is this the best the people of coventry can do it isn't exactly getting behind your home town club is it.
All this 12,000 is, is the regulars who go up the ricoh to support the lads,whats wrong with the other 288,000 residence of cov just getting on line and using 2 minutes of there time.
After all its their club too!
Also think this is part of the mess we are in today these fickle people only interested when we are doing well and deciding to go and support man u then change back to the city top when we start doing well.

ccfcway

I agree 12,000 is VERY poor. Over 10 of my family have signed it. All of them live in Cov and undertsand the need for the team to stay in Coventry. Most of them dont even like football, but completely understand why were are doing this and fully support it.

deanocity3

if you look at the population of cov
over 100,000 of that figure,were not born here but moved here.So they were not brought up with the history.
and have no connection with the club,they end up being glory supporters with United,chelsea etc.
the fan base we have is almost made up of people whose parents took them up the city.
The crewe match proved this,nearly all were people who were originally from this area.
with mums and dads taking the next generation to a match.
I have heard the local polish go up the speedway

I bet they clean up with polish up there...where do all the local Polish go? lol:p

if you look at the population of cov
over 100,000 of that figure,were not born here but moved here.So they were not brought up with the history.
and have no connection with the club,they end up being glory supporters with United,chelsea etc.
the fan base we have is almost made up of people whose parents took them up the city.
The crewe match proved this,nearly all were people who were originally from this area.
with mums and dads taking the next generation to a match.
I have heard the local polish go up the speedway

CJ_covblaze

A dozen or so in my family have signed it. All live within Coventry/Rugby/Southam.

My Grandad's been going since the 30s (saw Clarie Bourton play!) and he won't go to away-home games. Almost a guarantee that he will never see Coventry play again if we move.

luwalla

what they should have done is put Coventry V 'Chelsea'.. or 'Man utd' in big letters at the start of the headline for this campaign.. im sure we would be up to , ooohhh maybe 32,000 signatures by now ;)

ricohroar

One thing is for sure..... If they don't sign the petition, and don't go to home games.... They will not read this forum.... My inlaws live in Cov and have for over 40 years, but not born here. They don't buy the telegraph, or listen to local radio, and until the other day had no idea Cov were in the third tier of footy, or in admin. I'm guessing there's plenty more like them.
Sky blue ribbons on the car on 87, but now we are not too much in national press, we go unnoticed..

philmcc

Over 20,000 Everton fans signed a petition against their new badge design...makes our effort look pretty laughable considering what's at stake...

Last edited:

scroobiustom

Bit unfair for the people of Coventry only.

I signed it and i'm in London, didn't we get Southampton fans signing also?

moleyskyblue

Having cov fans from different parts of the country and other teams fans sign it, doesn't that look worse for the coventry area.

ccfc92

considering how easy internet access is for the majority of people. 12k worldwide is pathetic. :facepalm:

J

Jack Griffin

I wonder how good the response would be to a CCFC petition asking for support to move out of the city for 3 years and build a new stadium?

JHarding1987

I'm born & bred Coventrian, but left Cov when I was 10. Live in Marston Green now, just down the road. Have signed.
Problem with our wonderful city is that it is Cosmopolitan in that people from all over the country came to Coventry for the work & settled here. Their roots & support however were for their place of birth.
However, do recall a bizarre memory in The Forresters before s match st Highfield Road. Old fella with a Geordie accent with a Cov top, with his grandson who had a Coventry accent wearing a Newcastle kit!

JHarding1987

So to compare Coventry against Wolverhampton say, the make up of our city is from all over the land, whereas Wolverhampton, just people born/bred Wolverhampton, well you can understand why nobody would move there! Sadly & obviously most people in Wolverhampton would have an interest in Wolves, whereas not the case for Sky Blues.

JHarding1987

Sadly also, I think our support is fickle. The support is definitely there, but for glory matches or when things look good. I think too many of our fans took our stay in the top flight for granted, crowds of 12000 show that say for example against Man City in 1981 & against Blackburn when we beat them 5-1 when they were champions. I know we are a match for fanbase of Birmingham say, I just wish those stay away fans would show support when the team really needs it.
My comments/views are not meant to offend, there is nothing more than I want, particularly living in Birmingham area, for us to fill the Ricoh.

Monkeyface

"My Grandad's been going since the 30s (saw Clarie Bourton play!) and he won't go to away-home games. Almost a guarantee that he will never see Coventry play again if we move."

That's the sad reality of all this, my old man died in December, and the last he knew of his beloved Sky Blues was this shit. The people in power, should hang their heads in shame at what's happening, and not just SISU, although the very mention of them makes me angry at the minute. This club has given me so many special memories, especially with the old man, and I just can't understand the apathy from our fans, surely the very least we should be fighting for is the club to stay in the city. So to see only 12,000 people have signed the petition is shameful, and when you add into the fact a lot of those will be non-fans we've coerced into signing makes it even worse. And then to go to Ryton last week and see just 30 or so there, well I have no words! Maybe I just take the whole thing to seriously?!

oakey

You have to factor in what has been raised before, namely that we have not had a good season for 15 years.
How many other clubs have failed so dismally in that time frame? Even a top six, cup semi or run of exciting form would be something.
The relentless gloom has driven many away.
Now if we got new owners and they had any idea about marketing we could see many return. Plus success of any kind would rekindle interest.

ccfcway

You have to factor in what has been raised before, namely that we have not had a good season for 15 years.
How many other clubs have failed so dismally in that time frame? Even a top six, cup semi or run of exciting form would be something.
The relentless gloom has driven many away.
Now if we got new owners and they had any idea about marketing we could see many return. Plus success of any kind would rekindle interest.

all the more reason for more people to sign this !

I get there is not a queue round the corner for season tickets, but not to sign a form requesting this proud club doesnt leave Coventry, I dont get at all !

Grendel

But we had 30,000 football fans at the Crewe game, where the feck are they?

In hibernation. Waiting for the next potential glory moment so they can awaken again.

torchomatic

Should have said every signature comes with the chance of a trip to the Emirates, Old Trafford or Wembley. There would have been around 50K signatures by now.

Users who are viewing this thread