People who doubt Andy Thorn... (1 Viewer)

To all you AT doubters, today was our first match of our League 1 campaign. Yes we may of drew but we put in a good performance and showed that we have a good squad capable of taking us back up to the Championship. I felt that we played some good attacking football although the defensive side of us did have its moments but for our first match a point is a point. We have to learn and build from this now and hopefully get in a new striker who can bag us some goals and work along Fleck and Cody. We weren't all expecting a win today Yeovil are a good side with Johnson as there manager but I think we went there and put up a good fight and deserved a point. Cody had a few chances to win us the game but we were just unlucky to lose the game.

Bring on Sheffield Utd I say! :D

Ccfcisparks

I don't understand how we could of had a good game when they dominated the match and had far more possession than us and way more shots

I don't understand how we could of had a good game when they dominated the match and had far more possession than us and way more shots

Well we didn't deserve to lose and we didn't, we had the better chances but defensive side needs more work I think.

slyblue57

well thats the first report I ve read of us playing well ! Everything I ve heard, read upto now was we were poor.
The possession/ shots stats point to us being poor. Yeovil a good side, well they are one of the relegation favourites.
Could it be tactics that are wrong again today, as all of last season.
pusb

Stevec189

Football is as much to do with when you don't have the ball as when you do. Well organised sides that are dificult to break down may not have over 50% of the possation or have the most shots on oals but thy may well end up with more points than other "footballing" teams. Look at Stoke! I didn't go but it sounds to me we had the better chances and maybe if Fleck had lasted into he second half we might he inked this one. Clearly some defensive work to do but hopefully a 1-0 win on Tuesday night and a good game on Saturday thn people will tart o get behind he team instead of slagging of Thorn all h time whilst never going to game and knowing it ll from watching Andy Gray and Gary Linaker and Alan Hansan who have managed how many teams?

PUSB

Sky Blue Sheepy

Well I've been a season ticket holder for all of Thorns management career and have been to both games so far and the narrow formation exposes the very fullbacks that need to attack. Simply, in my opinion anyway, it just doesn't work.

ampthill_sba

I was there...it was poor.
Yeovil out passed us and we resorted to long ball. There were no 'runners' offering our full backs options.
I'd we are going to finish in top 6 we will need to play a different formation.

oakey

My main question about AT involves the pace and movement in the side. Whatever formation he adopts can he get his players doing what every successful side does when it has the ball...move the ball swiftly and accurately, move into space and outmanoeuvre your opponents? Exactly what you tell 9 yr olds.
Can AT get our players moving fluently? I have seen no evidence over the past year that he can. It is all slow and static. It doesn't matter whether you play 442 or 4231 or whatever, players must pass and move. To me, he is more interested in shape and how we nullify the opposition when they have the ball.

ampthill_sba

My main question about AT involves the pace and movement in the side. Whatever formation he adopts can he get his players doing what every successful side does when it has the ball...move the ball swiftly and accurately, move into space and outmanoeuvre your opponents? Exactly what you tell 9 yr olds.
Can AT get our players moving fluently? I have seen no evidence over the past year that he can. It is all slow and static. It doesn't matter whether you play 442 or 4231 or whatever, players must pass and move. To me, he is more interested in shape and how we nullify the opposition when they have the ball.

Movement was very poor except Cody and Clarke

Nonleagueherewecome

He used the word tempo at the forum, and I was over the moon. Sadly, that seems to have actually translated into "hoof it!".

lordsummerisle

I didn't go but it sounds to me we had the better chances maybe if Fleck had lasted

people will start o get behind he team instead of slagging of Thorn all h time whilst never going to game and knowing it ll from watching Andy Gray and Gary Linaker and Alan Hansan who have managed how many teams?

PUSB

Do like that, " I didn't go" followed by slagging off people who didn't go.

Schizophrenic at all?

Nonleagueherewecome

Nonleagueherewecome

Get the ball forward quickly in Thornspeak = Hoof it

Consequence it comes straight back as possession is conceded.

But he also said we'd "get it down and play" still at the forum. Seems he's confused the players as much as he has me!

Grendel

But he also said we'd "get it down and play" still at the forum. Seems he's confused the players as much as he has me!

Not that surprising really. I am not convinced he has real tactics or applies much thought in how we approach games. The most odd thing he said at the forum was that he saw little value in looking how the opposition are likely to play. This was a major shortcoming last season and I would have thought is something he would address.

swanageskyblue

well thats the first report I ve read of us playing well ! Everything I ve heard, read upto now was we were poor.
The possession/ shots stats point to us being poor. Yeovil a good side, well they are one of the relegation favourites.
Could it be tactics that are wrong again today, as all of last season.
pusb
I was there, so a few observations to throw into the mix...
- the possession stats I saw on BBC website (65 Yeovil, 35 Sky Blues) surprised me, as we had more than a third of the possession, probably close on a half.
- Allowing for the fact that we had 6 debutants, and it was the first league match of the season, I would say we played variably, not poorly. Some passages of play were excellent, but there was too much long-ball play when there were better options available.
- We created the better chances - Fleck in the first half, Cody twice in the second. If we were not creating chances, I would be more concerned.
- Defensively, we looked vulnerable at times, particularly on our left and sometimes through the centre (which made Jordan our best defender by far).
- Adam Barton has real class. Maybe not fully fit yet, but only the width of the woodwork stopped him scoring a wonderful winning goal - if that had gone in, we would all be feeling a lot happier tonight.
- On balance, a fair result. I doubt that Yeovil will be relegation candidates; we may look back on this as a decent result.
- Great to stand on an open terrace with the SBA, but I sensed a lot of impatience and frustration in many of the fans. We really need to support our players and try to build bridges with them - it felt today that there was quite a disconnect between players and fans which is not going to benefit us when results go against us, as some inevitably will.

Grendel

Did he really say that?!

He said he wasn't going to be worrying about the opposition and people spend too much time on things like that. I suspect on this he is a man of his word.

wingy

There was an element of Linch Mob about the support down there yesterday...very quiet also,a little bit of division among us and also between us and the team.I get the feeling the team and SBA respond to each other better when theres 300-400 following like @ leeds/Cardiff away.Seems this Expectation of Auto promotion whether justified /realistic or not is going to leave us with a massive dissconnect that was'nt there last year,there were plenty of fans there but not a lot of SUPPORT:(

Diehard Si

I have my doubts on Thorn, which waver depending on whether we've just won or if we've lost/drawn.

There are obvious short comings in his talents as a manager. But fans will attack all managers after a bad run of form. Fergie was nearly sacked as Man U manager early in his career with them.

We do need to give him time. We as a club can't afford to sack him and bring in another manager. We'd still have to pay him.

What is clear is last season was a terrible year, but not his fault. But I almost feel like people want him to fail so they can say they were right.

I'm 2 years into a new job and a lot better at it now than when I started. We need to have a little patience. I've said all along while a good start and momentum is vital, I see us starting slow while we adapt. If we are mid table at Christmas then I'll agree he needs to go. But let's give him chance to learn from his mistakes. The players seem to like him, as long as this remains so its a good sign. Adams lost the players, it was a disaster. Yet despite everything Thorn kept their heads up.

beduth

I`ll give AT at least 10 games , and see if we need changes then , but from what i saw yesterday nothing has changed on the field from last season ,( by the way Huish tidy little ground , but a bugger to get away from after the match must be devil of a place in mid winter as away end completley open behind goal .)

ampthill_sba

I haven't booed the team ever, I've never booed Thorn either. But I am losing patience with our manager as I have felt from when I first met him in person that he was not intelligent enough to do the job.

He has 10 games to show that the exciting signings he's made (undoubtedly a successful scout) before I start singing for his departure.

ampthill_sba

I`ll give AT at least 10 games , and see if we need changes then , but from what i saw yesterday nothing has changed on the field from last season ,( by the way Huish tidy little ground , but a bugger to get away from after the match must be devil of a place in mid winter as away end completley open behind goal .)

Got out easily on the A3088 from being parked outside the Land Rover garage...

Users who are viewing this thread