Peter Waterman tried to buy CCFC (1 Viewer)

AFCCOVENTRY

But Sisu demanded too much money for it. He headed up a group of ex football people.

Interesting that they wanted obviously the money they put in and some more.

Grendel

I thought he had something to do with Walsall.

pusbccfc

He's worth 60 million.. You couldn't get a bus to the shops for that much.

Seriously not enough money!

Stevearcade

Waterman's a Cov lad. I really rate him as a businessman and would happily have him owning the club. He's a proper Cov fan from what I gather.

torchomatic

We should be so lucky. Lucky, lucky, lucky.

6 Gen beat me to it!!

S

skyblue2k

Waterman says he fronted a syndicate of ex footballers and household names who attempted to buy Coventry City

From twitter post by @covmartin

Moff

To be fair he only offered one of his Hornby train sets for the club......................seemed a decent offer to me

Nick

Administrator
Something seems a bit strange about it though, if he is a massive Walsall fan why is he in a picture holding up a city scarf?

S

skyblue2k

He is a cov kid and probably like the rest of us got fed up with the club being dragged through the gutter

lordsummerisle

Can't see there being any truth in it, Sisu would have leaked the name of one of his investors to The Sun and it would have all fallen apart surely?

lordsummerisle

Born and raised in the Midlands he began life as a Coventry City fan, but experienced his ‘road to Damascus’ moment during a routine away match in the early-1960s. “I went with City to the old Fellows Park [Walsall’s home until their 1990 move to the Bescot Stadium], and just fell in love with it,” he says. “It was a real football ground and a smashing little club.

"THERE'S TIMES I WISH I'D NEVER STARTED"

“When I began working with my current music partners, it turned out that one of them is a big Saddlers fan and I ended up going to watch them play Northwich Victoria in the FA Cup. I said to him, ‘Christ, you must be the only Walsall fan to travel up from London. If you ever want a bit of company give me a call.’ We’ve been going nearly every week for more than 10 years now.”

The music business has made Waterman a very wealthy man. In a career spanning more than 25 years in the industry he has produced and written more than 200 hit singles for the likes of Kylie Minogue, Steps and Rick Astley. He’s chairman of four successful companies – three in music plus a railway maintenance business – so why doesn’t he put his money where his mouth is and buy a stake in the Saddlers?

“I have a season ticket and I take the odd match sponsorship, but I wouldn’t invest in Walsall. In fact, I wouldn’t invest in football full stop,” he says. “Honestly, nobody loves football more than me, but I can’t see how a club the size of Coventry, for example, can get themselves £30m in debt. I don’t want to sit in the stands at the Bescot and have the fans shouting at me: ‘Hey you big fat bastard, get your chequebook out.’ B*ll*cks to that...”

ajsccfc

'Nobody loves football more than me', says the man who changed loyalties because he liked the décor of a different gaff.

Sky Blue Kid

Waterman was born in Coventry,and lived just outside the gates of HR. but has always followed Walsall.
Don't think there's any possibility of him buying CCFC though.

letsallsingtogether

If you read the article properly he never stated that he was a Cov fan only that he was asked to lead the consortium because he was from Cov as for holding up a Cov Scarf so did Sullivan when he brought Brum but he was a West ham fan part of the game? :blue:
But he isn't a cov fan though?

SkyblueBazza

Something seems a bit strange about it though, if he is a massive Walsall fan why is he in a picture holding up a city scarf?

I was born & raised in Walsall. My dad has been a Walsall fan all of his life. He took me to my first games there. Only later did I become a SB.
With that in mind, Walsall is a team/club I have affection for & I am always pleased when they win (or lose against us! :)) If I had the money & where-with-all I'd happily step in to rescue primarily CCFC, secondarily Walsall.

bigfatronssba

<p>
Exactly, looks and sounds like he may have contacted the CET for a bit of publicity and then posed for a picture.

Good point, the millions of international Coventry Telegraph readers will now all know the name Pete Waterman.

He will go from a nobody to household name all thanks to the telegraph.

Delboycov

Never liked him much because of his allegiance to Walsall whilst locally proclaiming himself a 'Cov Kid'...I think if you're a proud 'Cov kid' then you support the team. Never forgive him either for inflicting Sonia and The Reynolds Girls on us ;-) My dislike of him was cemented when I once saw a TV interview with him when he said "I'm just a normal 'Wassall' lad who worked hard to get where I did" Supporting another team is one thing but making out you weren't even born here?! Tosser!

Last edited:

lordsummerisle

Never liked him much because of his allegiance to Walsall whilst locally proclaiming himself a 'Cov Kid'...I think if you're a true 'Cov kid' then you support the team Never forgive him either for inflicting Sonia and The Reynolds Girls on us ;-) My dislike of him was cemented when I once saw a TV interview with him when he said "I'm just a normal 'Wassall' lad who worked hard to get where I did" Supporting another team is one thing but making out you weren't even born here?! Tosser!

Can possibly understand somebody maybe saying they were from somewhere else if from Coventry, but not with fucking Walsall!

Users who are viewing this thread