Player of the season so far (2 Viewers)

clint van damme

I was surprised to see him wearing one still to be honest. Never had the injury but I assume he'd not need it at this stage. Unless he's had a set back.

Probably had it pinned which I think is 6-8 weeks recovery.

Mcbean

The good news is that we are argueing about this which means several players have put a shift in - i couldnt split Doyle and McNulty

rob9872

If it's Burge I think I will throw the towel in and quit football altogether and go and watch curling or boules instead.

We've conceded 28 goals in 35 games - the next tightest defence after our total is Luton with 37 conceded. That is quite an achievement and as a unit the GK and back 4 deserve credit for that, despite reservations that some seem to overlook regarding Burge. We have good centre halves (all 4 of them) supported by combinations of mainly Grimmer and Stokes, but also Haynes DKE and CB filling in at FB. Far from a settled defence and Burge the only constant from the 3rd game in. How his contribution can be not just overlooked, but dismissed, let alone ridiculed I continue to find baffling.

However we all love a striker who scores goals (Biamou take note!) and I would choose McNulty. If JCH had been here full season I think he'd get the nod.

Sterling Archer

I don't think Doyle has played well at all this season from a technical perspective (I've never seen a central midfielder so awful at passing whether it be 5 yars or 30 yards) but I can see just how important he is to the cause as we look so much more organised with him on the pitch (even when he's woefully out of position himself) and he seems to jus tlift the spirit of the team being there.

It's a really odd scenario but certainly shows the level of ability in League Two.

So, for me, it's Doyle, despite him never really playing well or having a standout game, if that makes sense? Unless McNulty goes on another goalscoring run similar to a month or so ago.

As for Burge, I'm amazed he's getting so many pelters still. If there was an award for most improved player, he'd get it. He's a lower league goalkeeper who is very young (for a goalkeeper) who is improving year on year. Maybe we need him to start pinging 60 yard balls like Ederson and saving every single shot on target like De Gea and some people might relent? Same reason we accept McNulty missing a few chances, Doyle misplacing some passes we should surely cut Burge a bit more slack?

Last edited:

Otis

We've conceded 28 goals in 35 games - the next tightest defence after our total is Luton with 37 conceded. That is quite an achievement and as a unit the GK and back 4 deserve credit for that, despite reservations that some seem to overlook regarding Burge. We have good centre halves (all 4 of them) supported by combinations of mainly Grimmer and Stokes, but also Haynes DKE and CB filling in at FB. Far from a settled defence and Burge the only constant from the 3rd game in. How his contribution can be not just overlooked, but dismissed, let alone ridiculed I continue to find baffling.

However we all love a striker who scores goals (Biamou take note!) and I would choose McNulty. If JCH had been here full season I think he'd get the nod.
I used to think Burge was poor and now I don't. I do think he has improved a lot.

Player of the season though? Wow, that is one tremendous leap. He has had some abysmal howlers.

Overall he has done pretty well, but I cannot see him as a candidate for POTS awards.

As it stands the top 3 would have to be Doyle, McNulty and Davies/Grimmer. Extend that to a top 5 and it would then probably include Willis too.

Sterling Archer

What "abysmal howlers" has he had this season? I'm not looking for an argument, I just can't remember too many off the top of my head.

It's important as well as to how many of these "abysmal howlers" he has made. Lets not forget Premier League keepers make absolute howlers as well, it's going to happen and goalkeeping errors will get highlighted more than outfield players, such is the end result that normally comes with a goalkeeping howler.

For a League Two Goalkeeper I don't think he has made enough "abysmal howlers" to not label him one of our better players this season. As has been mentioned, we have a fantastic defensive record and I think it's grossly unfair to dismiss Lee Burge's contribution to that.

Otis

What "abysmal howlers" has he had this season? I'm not looking for an argument, I just can't remember too many off the top of my head.

It's important as well as to how many of these "abysmal howlers" he has made. Lets not forget Premier League keepers make absolute howlers as well, it's going to happen and goalkeeping errors will get highlighted more than outfield players, such is the end result that normally comes with a goalkeeping howler.

For a League Two Goalkeeper I don't think he has made enough "abysmal howlers" to not label him one of our better players this season. As has been mentioned, we have a fantastic defensive record and I think it's grossly unfair to dismiss Lee Burge's contribution to that.
Three I believe. Can't remember the exact matchups to be honest off the top of my head.

steve82

Personally I'm struggling for one name who really stands out for player of the season.

McNulty is obviously a hot favourite but I need more goals on the run in to cement that spot.
Doyle has to be mentioned for how important he is to the starting 11. JJ and Davies if played more games would of been strong candidates. Burge deserves a mention for some match winning saves but not up to the tag of player of the season.

That said I think our ability to retain the player of the season is poor so I'd give it Lee Burge and sell him the following week while his stocks at his highest!

I think the winner is still to come forwards and stride clear in the run in or play offs.

lifeskyblue

At the moment I would give it to Doyle. With him we are in games and nicking points. He gets a good response from the youngsters and helps protect the back four admirably. And don’t forget he scored a (fortuitous) ‘worldly’. Not the best technically but gives his all every game.
I think all of the team have done ok and contributed in different games. Burge has developed into a half decent keeper. He and the back four are an efficient unit and work well together.
All the back 4/5 (inc Davies) could stake a claim but none have been consistently outstanding.
Shipley and Bayliss have made great progress...but they are clearly still learning and shine early but have tailed off.
Mcnulty has had a good run but before that was decidedly average. And in recent games again has lost his sparkle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread