Player ratings (1 Viewer)

Grendel

Have I argued that? I am just saying he did more than Jones because he got himself into a position where he could well have scored.

Jones on the other hand, did nothing.

He created the best chance by whipping a free kick into ponticelli. Vincenti falling over when the ball is nowhere near him is doing nothing but falling over when the ball is nowhere near him

singers_pore

In the BBC statistics, when a Coventry player falls over, that counts as a shot on goal.

Well in that case McNulty must be top scorer in L2. It's ridiculous how easily he gets knocked off the ball, and he then throws himself to the ground in the ridiculous hope that the ref will award us a free kick.

Gazolba

<snip>

What we need is a Jones type on both wings.
So instead of having someone who does nothing on one wing, we'll have someone doing nothing on both wings.

Otis

He created the best chance by whipping a free kick into ponticelli. Vincenti falling over when the ball is nowhere near him is doing nothing but falling over when the ball is nowhere near him
Again, you said you don't even remember it, yet now you are talking about it as if it were fact.

Perhaps best see the incident first eh!

speedie87

I don't think the marks should be as low as some of them have been. Yesterday was a decent game if not in quality closely matched teams. They were better up front but their defence looked a bit dodgy

I said after the chesterfield game we are going to need to get in habit of winning tight games late on if we are going to go up and we are still yet to do that.

Otis

I don't think the marks should be as low as some of them have been. Yesterday was a decent game if not in quality closely matched teams. They were better up front but their defence looked a bit dodgy

I said after the chesterfield game we are going to need to get in habit of winning tight games late on if we are going to go up and we are still yet to do that.
Yeah, we weren't that bad, but I think people have based their ratings on the fact that in that second half especially, we didn't really threaten much at all.

I think for the most part we were average rather than bad.

dongonzalos

I think what this game has shown is that we are totally fucked up front. I was holding out a small hope that Ponti could be our main scorer but it doesn't look like he is strong enough at the moment.

McNulty and Biamou are very poor. Even when they are playing better than normal (e.g., McNulty in the first half today) I am yet to see a game where I think "Gosh, McNulty and Biamou are looking dangerous, I think we should score a few goals here."

The bottom line is that if we don't secure a goal scorer in January we will have zero chance of promotion. No doubt people like Otis will say I am being overly pessimistic. But he says that every season and he is wrong year after year.

Hallelujah !!!!!!
(Not aimed at you pore)

dongonzalos

Yeah, we weren't that bad, but I think people have based their ratings on the fact that in that second half especially, we didn't really threaten much at all.

What is obvious from various threads, match reports and MR (yes I was at work and could not even listen to the radio this time)
Is that we create chances and get opportunities but we are not doing the business, ie putting it in the back of the net.
They did just that and that has won the game for them.
You only need one goal in this league.
We need that ruthless bugger who will take it.
The kind of player who holds off the defender when Haynes whips it in low.
Or the striker who smashes his header so it can’t be cleared off the line.
Ect ect apologies for the invalid opinion that doesn’t count because I wasn’t there.

Nick

Administrator
What is obvious from various threads, match reports and MR (yes I was at work and could not even listen to the radio this time)
Is that we create chances and get opportunities but we are not doing the business, ie putting it in the back of the net.
Ect ect apologies for the invalid opinion that doesn’t count because I wasn’t there.
Who did you want to get onto Haynes passing yesterday? A giant?

Name all of the chances from yesterday, because your third hand expertise is looking desperate.

Name a striker who scores every chance they get in League 2 and doesn't need a few per goal.

clint van damme

I personally am not a big fan of Vincenti. I don't think he's terrible, but for me he lacks pace and strength and on the right really does very little to help create any chances as such.

What we need is a Jones type on both wings

I agree that would improve us.
Jones one wing Vincenti the other seemed to work in the first couple of games swapping sides and giving the full backs something totally different to think about but teams have soon sussed it out.

I also thing we need the centre midfielders or a different centre midfielder to carry the ball more. Ponticellis chance at the end came about because for the first time in the game Doyle carried the ball into the big open space in front of him rather than going sideways,

SkyBlueZack

We struggled to create again but dongo is still on his one man mission about a striker who doesn't exist. One player doesn't make a team, a prolific striker will still need to be provided chances to score.

Otis

We struggled to create again but dongo is still on his one man mission about a striker who doesn't exist. One player doesn't make a team, a prolific striker will still need to be provided chances to score.
We are simply not creating enough chances.

clint van damme

the problem is Otis that you can't take that game in isolation. The bigger picture is we haven't scored at home in the league since September. We can't keep pulling out 3-0 away victories to off set these home defeats and when we don't we will start to plummet down the table.

Grendel

So on the one hand you say it’s a lack of a striker and then say it’s lack of delivery in the box. Also for some reason you try and bring Haynes into the mix. Haynes was not only awful but hopefully his body language and clear lack of interest in taking responsibility for anything will spell the end for him.

We create little and forward feed of scraps. We had two worthwhile chances going to a striker which isn’t enough.

For some reason we’ve also signed several defenders and forwards but no midfield options so other than youth players we are stuck with Doyle whose passing and influence on games like this just gets worse as intensity grows.

speedie87

Is it just me or in every home match does Kelly not get forward at all first half, just after half time he will pop up in opposition box and look like scoring a couple of times and then not go forward again all match.

It’s as if at half time every week someone gets in his ear to get forward he does he then forgets to keep doing it

Otis

So on the one hand you say it’s a lack of a striker and then say it’s lack of delivery in the box. Also for some reason you try and bring Haynes into the mix. Haynes was not only awful but hopefully his body language and clear lack of interest in taking responsibility for anything will spell the end for him.

We create little and forward feed of scraps. We had two worthwhile chances going to a striker which isn’t enough.

For some reason we’ve also signed several defenders and forwards but no midfield options so other than youth players we are stuck with Doyle whose passing and influence on games like this just gets worse as intensity grows.
I couldn't see the point of Haynes yesterday. If Robins told him to play in that restrained way then we might as well have played Stokes. Thought the whole point of Haynes was for his attacking play.

Grendel

I couldn't see the point of Haynes yesterday. If Robins told him to play in that restrained way then we might as well have played Stokes. Thought the whole point of Haynes was for his attacking play.

In the second half he tried and failed on numerous occasions. He was brushed off the ball with ease. He must think this club is some kind of registered charity for people pretending to be footballers the length of time he has been here. Any other club would have dumped him years ago.

Nick

Administrator
Is it just me or in every home match does Kelly not get forward at all first half, just after half time he will pop up in opposition box and look like scoring a couple of times and then not go forward again all match.

It’s as if at half time every week someone gets in his ear to get forward he does he then forgets to keep doing it
That used to co incide with us being better in the second half

clint van damme

you're right. And in an earlier post I said we need a central midfielder to carry the ball. We probably have him in Kelly we just need to take the shackles off and play him further forward.

Grendel

Who did you want to get onto Haynes passing yesterday? A giant?

Name all of the chances from yesterday, because your third hand expertise is looking desperate.

Name a striker who scores every chance they get in League 2 and doesn't need a few per goal.

Quality strikers convert one in six chances.

Adge

I've said it 1000 times and I will now say it 1001! If we are relying on the likes of Burge,Haynes,Jones et al to take us forward we are all kidding ourselves.
Burges handling and all round game yesterday was decent and then along comes the gaff that will cost us from 30 yards out that shouldn't have beat him although some will say it was a great strike. Best thing Haynes done all game was remonstrated with him about how he was beaten from that distance and then have a debate about it for the next 30 seconds!
As someone said previously is this a club a stepping stone for those who are finding their way to non-league level ala Jack Finch, as that is where Haynes will/should be heading. How many more years do we give this joker to fulfill his non existent "potential"? 4 or 5 times in the second half when he managed to find himself in a good positions just lumped the ball out for a goal kick when trying to cross the ball. Truely abysmal!
Jones, if the Leeds rumours are to be believed we should cash in in January. Over hyped as our saviour which is slightly unfair as is Ponticelli who really should have scored yesterday but was anonymous 2nd half and I'm surprised he stayed on.
On a positive note the duck is back next week.

PVA

Someone must have seen it. Otherwise I am going insane.

I'm not convinced it was Haynes put the ball over, but someone did, from the left into the 6 yard box.

I saw it, and as I said previously I don't know how you can label that as nearly scoring, he literally missed the ball completely.

Do you think Gerrard nearly scored here?

tenor.gif

SkyblueBri

The formation we play at home is not helping us, the midfield is to deep and the main man up front is on his own, what is he supposed to do head the ball to himself?

Otis

I saw it, and as I said previously I don't know how you can label that as nearly scoring, he literally missed the ball completely.

Do you think Gerrard nearly scored here?

tenor.gif
Nope. I would say not. Was he in the six yard box diving in for the ball? Guess it's hard to tell from that clip.

win9nut

Personally, while it means we have a tight defence, I don't like the fact we are playing two holding midfielders at home.

At home we need to be more creative and progressive. Play Doyle or Kelly, but then with an extra man in front supporting the attacks 4-1-3-2. I reckon the extra man will help unlock things, but accept that that will be at the expense of being a little weaker on the defensive side of the game.

Burge 5 I thought his distribution was quite good, but shouldve stopped the goal.
Grimmer 5 For some reason there was always a free kick being conceded on his side of the defence resulting in us being put under pressure.
Willis 6 Not spectacular but did the job at centre half. When pushed onto the right, he couldn't move forwards with any impetus.
McDonald 6 Not spectacular but did the job.
Haynes 4 Poor. Didn't close down quick enough, largely ineffective going forwards.
Doyle & Kelly 6 Broke up play and helped the defence out quite well. Him or Doyle needs more license to get forward and run into space, if they should be doing it, they need to be reprimanded for not doing it enough.
Vincenti 5 Won a few headers, but was largely ineffective.
Jones 4 first 15 or so minutes was okay, but then got a kick, switched wings and went missing
McNulty 6 While still being largely ineffective, better player in our forward line
Ponticelli 6 spurned some good opportunities, pressured well but was naive at times, that will come with experience and age. Should be easing him in gently and pull him on 60 minutes rather than giving him 90 minutes and adding the pressure from the City fans towards the end of the game.

Biamou 6 Added power up front
Davies 6 filled in for Willis quite well

Otis

Personally, while it means we have a tight defence, I don't like the fact we are playing two holding midfielders at home.

At home we need to be more creative and progressive. Play Doyle or Kelly, but then with an extra man in front supporting the attacks 4-1-3-2. I reckon the extra man will help unlock things, but accept that that will be at the expense of being a little weaker on the defensive side of the game.

Burge 5 I thought his distribution was quite good, but shouldve stopped the goal.
Grimmer 5 For some reason there was always a free kick being conceded on his side of the defence resulting in us being put under pressure.
Willis 6 Not spectacular but did the job at centre half. When pushed onto the right, he couldn't move forwards with any impetus.
McDonald 6 Not spectacular but did the job.
Haynes 4 Poor. Didn't close down quick enough, largely ineffective going forwards.
Doyle & Kelly 6 Broke up play and helped the defence out quite well. Him or Doyle needs more license to get forward and run into space, if they should be doing it, they need to be reprimanded for not doing it enough.
Vincenti 5 Won a few headers, but was largely ineffective.
Jones 4 first 15 or so minutes was okay, but then got a kick, switched wings and went missing
McNulty 6 While still being largely ineffective, better player in our forward line
Ponticelli 6 spurned some good opportunities, pressured well but was naive at times, that will come with experience and age. Should be easing him in gently and pull him on 60 minutes rather than giving him 90 minutes and adding the pressure from the City fans towards the end of the game.

Biamou 6 Added power up front
Davies 6 filled in for Willis quite well
No, no, no! You can't score Jones worse than Vincenti! That's laughable don't you know! ;)

Users who are viewing this thread