Players out of contract (1 Viewer)

mark82

Biamou is a League 1 squad player yet some are clamouring for him to be offered a new deal.

Not sure clamouring is the right word. I think some can see what he offers as a squad player. He's not exactly letting us down as an emergency starter at the moment. I think we need to focus on bringing in starter quality players, if that means we need to keep one of Biamou or Bakayoko to do that, then it's Biamou.

shmmeee

In an ideal world we’d bring in a ST in the Biamou mould for £1m ish and get either a development player or a loan in and not renew either Max or Bakas contract. All depends on funds though doesn’t it?

Sick Boy

Not sure clamouring is the right word. I think some can see what he offers as a squad player. He's not exactly letting us down as an emergency starter at the moment. I think we need to focus on bringing in starter quality players, if that means we need to keep one of Biamou or Bakayoko to do that, then it's Biamou.
Or we could bring through younger players while investing his wages in a better quality striker.

Grendel

He's been brought into the development squad. To develop. Not necessarily to be part of the first team squad within 6 months.

He was on the bench yesterday

Grendel

Colin Steins Smile

In terms of contracts for players, it’s totally dependent on what division we are in. The difference of circa £7m v £1.3m and season ticket sales, etc

Terry Gibson's perm

They choose not to name youth players in their first team squad, that's their prerogative.

Not sure what point you're trying to make?

Their manager will use it as an excuse only six on the bench etc the experience for one of the youth players would be useful as that youth player could be in the first team squad next season.

Gibbo

Wilson, McFadz and Kelly were all deemed not good enough for this level by many fans before a ball was kicked. Many of our fans do have a problem understanding contracts, budgets, transfer windows and complexity of signing quality players and time it takes to rebuild a squad. Their opinion swings dramatically on a game to game basis depending on the results. The "We would have won if we played two up top" is a prime example of their hypothetical theories becoming set in stone fact.

But going forward it is obvious that MacFadz & Wilson are not good enough to get us above half way. In fact a better question now after 2/3 of a season, is this, were you to have a team only made up of players good enough for the top half of this league (excluding loans), who would you name? I'll start

Dabo, Hamer, James (assuming he signs) , O'Hare. And that is it (4)

Marosi & Walker have the potential, as does Sheaf, who we expect to join. (3)

Please don't say Hyam or Godden who maybe ok for a struggling team but no higher. Dacosta and Rose, we don't know. MacFadz is too old now, (5)

Shippers, Max, Baka are all not Championship level. (3)

OK for the squad Allen, and by the sounds of it Drysdale.(2)

Heck of a job in the summer. I'd start by bidding for Ostigaard

Last edited:

Frostie

Their manager will use it as an excuse only six on the bench etc the experience for one of the youth players would be useful as that youth player could be in the first team squad next season.

Absolutely.

Wilder & the board are at loggerheads over recruitment. By only naming 6 subs it's Wilder's way of saying "Look what I'm having to contend with" getting fans & media on his side.

Terry Gibson's perm

Absolutely.

Wilder & the board are at loggerheads over recruitment. By only naming 6 subs it's Wilder's way of saying "Look what I'm having to contend with" getting fans & media on his side.

They should be arguing over recruitment it’s been appalling

shmmeee

But going forward it is obvious that MacFadz & Wilson are not good enough to get us above half way. In fact a better question now after 2/3 of a season, is were you to have a team only made up of players good enough for the top half of this league (excluding loans), who would you name? I'll start

Please don't say Hyam or Godden who maybe ok for a struggling team but no higher. Dacosta and Rose, we don't know. MacFadz is too old now, (5)

I think Rose will be good enough and not sure Marosi will, but otherwise agree with that. We need three or four more of the level of Hamer and O’Hare to progress next season.

SBAndy

Separate note but I’ve been having a look at players available in the summer (yes, I am that sad). One that’s of interest is Max Clark who’s recently joined Hull on a short term deal from Vitesse. Looks like he had a relatively fruitful time in Holland so not really sure how him leaving came about, but worth keeping an eye on.

Hobo

But going forward it is obvious that MacFadz & Wilson are not good enough to get us above half way. In fact a better question now after 2/3 of a season, is this, were you to have a team only made up of players good enough for the top half of this league (excluding loans), who would you name? I'll start

I agree with your assessment. But you need the blend through the squad. Kelly, Shipley, Biamou and Wilson may be attractive (?) as relatively cheap filler and can do a job off the bench?

Eccles is one you would hope would develop and posdibly step up.

cc84cov

I agree with your assessment. But you need the blend through the squad. Kelly, Shipley, Biamou and Wilson may be attractive (?) as relatively cheap filler and can do a job off the bench?

Eccles is one you would hope would develop and posdibly step up.
Eccles is a cracking prospect has came on really quick this past 18 months too

Briles

I think we would struggle to attract a player with as much heart and desire as max to sit and play 3rd choice.

Hobo

I think we would struggle to attract a player with as much heart and desire as max to sit and play 3rd choice.

This is a really important point. For years I watched Coventry and they could implode in the last 10 minutes. They could snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

Over the last 3 seasons we have shown resilience, the ability to dig in. We have learnt how to hold on or come from behind to win.

Ok some of it can be coached, game management, decision making, areas of the pitch to play in. But a lot of it is mental strength, character, psychology.

The character and togetherness of the squad is important. For that to remain, there has to be some continuity. For that to remain players need to park some ego at the door and buy into the club and fans. They must have the ambition to take Coventry to the next level.

Users who are viewing this thread