Match Thread Plymouth (A)- Wednesday 14th Feb (2 Viewers)

Happy_Martian

Not sure where the negativity is coming from on here and Twit/X. We're going through a poor patch but still picking up points. I'm all for that. And last nights result also keeps my predictions ticking away nicely.

But I seem to remember 15 games ago, we were saying this is a rebuilding year and not to expect anything good. We shouldn't be anywhere close to the playoffs with last summers player turnover. But we are. And it's exciting to think about that. Ultimately, this is a great bonus for us.

If we miss out this year (which I fear we may still do due to our small squad size), next season with a good transfer window should see us challenging for autos.

1708000426999.png

PVA

That is a class finish by Kitching, nipped in front of the defender and finished with the outside of his foot. Watching it last night I thought it was a pinball goal through the fog on my dodgy Firestick!

From this angle it looks like the defender clears it straight onto Kitching's outstretched danglingy foot and it bounces off him into the net!

Which would make it a total fluke 1 in a million goal. Not that we care 🤣

Edit: just watched it back at half speed, thats definitely what happens I'm sure

McLovin87

It looks like the defender clears it straight onto Kitching's foot and it bounces off him into the net from this angle!

Edit: just watched it back at half speed, thats definitely what happens I'm sure

You're right it is a bit of a pinball goal, I was looking at it from the opposite angle. My eyesight is getting worse, last night I didn't have a clue how it went in :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

It’sabatch87

I have to say Plymouth were great at staying on their feet. Think they’ll become a force in championship if they sell Whitaker for £10m plus and reinvest
Really lovely fans on Twitter too
A cheeky little bid for him in the summer?
4-5m, I think one of the promoted or relegated sides will snap him up.
Was impressed with him last night.

JSL

From this angle it looks like the defender clears it straight onto Kitching's outstretched danglingy foot and it bounces off him into the net!

This could be the equivalent bit of luck this season to Dom Hyam's own goal for us against Blackburn last year. The play off gods are looking after us again :)

skybluegod

I actually thought Plymouth reminded me very much of us in our first season back in the champ. They carried a threat but looked vulnerable. Think they could progress well over next few seasons if they can keep their top players.

Ashdown

I make that 4 goal involvements in 8 games for Simms now, he’s played a combined 361 minutes in that time. Average of a goal involvement every 90.25 minutes which is very good maybe he’s finally starting to click, and I dont care if you question his goals scored you have to be there to finish and actually bury it Godden showed last night its not just about positioning, my money would have been on Simms scoring that
I’d have bet on my old man scoring that goal and he’s nearly 81

shmmeee

Not quite. There’s a better angle but Kitching hits it first, defender clearance on the line then hits Kitching and bounces back in.

Reactions: PVA

fernandopartridge

I think Plymouth score even if Thomas didn’t dive in - he probably dove in because we were exposed. There wouldn’t be a need to if we were defensively set as a team.

The missed tackle made a dangerous situation worse.
Bidwell was ball watching as was Torp, neither picked up on the run of Whittaker

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

fernandopartridge

Which would make it a total fluke 1 in a million goal. Not that we care

Kitching caught it perfectly on the volley to guide it into the corner you mean

Mucca Mad Boys

Bidwell was ball watching as was Torp, neither picked up on the run of Whittaker

All these details will be picked up by the coaches - whereas posters on here want one neat scapegoat.

Lati is a mixed bag in midfield and all. Sometimes he looks classy in midfield and others he looks awkward.

Eccles needs a good rest and when he’s back my estimation is that he needs to really take games by the scruff of the neck. Defensively and in attack because he will struggle to nail down a starting berth when Sheaf gets back. Torp has been impressive too and that assist to Simms yesterday is exactly what we’ve been missing.

Reactions: vow

hamertime

Don’t get the over the top criticism of Thomas. He’s been generally very good and has the odd off moment as you’d expect from a young centre back. He brings the ball out of defence very well and gets us up the pitch quickly.
Generally, every single goal that ever scored is someone’s fault, every player makes mistakes. Thomas is class.

hamertime

I actually liked that simms got booked last night, it shows he was trying. Still not where it needs to be, but he did show a bit more.

hamertime

I do think Robins is chopping and changing, too much and is obsessed with resting players. Interestingly, if you look at Whitakers starts his played 31 games 2653 minutes it doesn’t look like Plymouth rest him at all. Surely a professional footballer can play one or two games a week.

David O'Day

I do think Robins is chopping and changing, too much and is obsessed with resting players. Interestingly, if you look at Whitakers starts his played 31 games 2653 minutes it doesn’t look like Plymouth rest him at all. Surely a professional footballer can play one or two games a week.
That's all well and good until they get fatigue related injuries

Reactions: vow

JohnWH

(Not a knock to you, personally)

I think we'd all love to see our best XI each and every game. I'm not a physio or sports doctor, though. It's a high intensity, physical top professional level of sport. Even professional athletes are not machines, but human. I believe each player must also be reviewed individually, considering knocks, old injuries you don't want to appear again, the risks of overwork to that individuals body, and anything else. Some can probably just play more games than others simply due to their individual physique.
Long gone are the days of a player grinding out each and every day. The sport has evolved in its intensity, and different styles of athletes have emerged, and sports science and medical review exponentially more involved.
Like I said, would love to see my favorite players every game. But, I'm willing to give the benefit of the doubt that the physio staff and Robins are in constant conversation about all the individuals on the team, and makes changes accordingly when necessary. One player missing one game is far different than that same player missing months or a year of games due simply to preventable injury.

Ashdown

Good fit player that lad. I guess some players have incredible engines….just look at Gyokeres and how he ran his heart out every game !

vow

Robins is doing exactly what should be done tbf, rotating the squad just before xmas against Leeds, Southampton worked out really well for us, as City then went on an unbeaten run around a very heavy period of games, guys working miracles!

hamertime

(Not a knock to you, personally)

I think we'd all love to see our best XI each and every game. I'm not a physio or sports doctor, though. It's a high intensity, physical top professional level of sport. Even professional athletes are not machines, but human. I believe each player must also be reviewed individually, considering knocks, old injuries you don't want to appear again, the risks of overwork to that individuals body, and anything else. Some can probably just play more games than others simply due to their individual physique.
Long gone are the days of a player grinding out each and every day. The sport has evolved in its intensity, and different styles of athletes have emerged, and sports science and medical review exponentially more involved.
Like I said, would love to see my favorite players every game. But, I'm willing to give the benefit of the doubt that the physio staff and Robins are in constant conversation about all the individuals on the team, and makes changes accordingly when necessary. One player missing one game is far different than that same player missing months or a year of games due simply to preventable injury.
Yes, I understand what you’re saying, and there is a lot of sense in it. I’m just wondering if we’ve gone too far the other way with the O’Hare and Jodie Jones injuries have caused this mentality. Personally, I just think some players are injury prone and I can understand the caution with O’Hare. Haji or Sakamoto haven’t got any history of fatigue injuries and should have been played imo.

NorthernWisdom

Yes, I understand what you’re saying, and there is a lot of sense in it. I’m just wondering if we’ve gone too far the other way with the O’Hare and Jodie Jones injuries have caused this mentality. Personally, I just think some players are injury prone and I can understand the caution with O’Hare. Haji or Sakamoto haven’t got any history of fatigue injuries and should have been played imo.
Sakamoto has looked a bit flat though. And neither have played as intense a schedule in their career before?

Flying Fokker

I have to say Plymouth were great at staying on their feet. Think they’ll become a force in championship if they sell Whitaker for £10m plus and reinvest
Really lovely fans on Twitter too
They seem to have a good set-up there. Fans I spoke to were very welcoming and the club seems to be making an effort with building an atmosphere.

The light show reminded me of Cov Blaze 20 years ago. Plus they have a PA system that works. im Beginning to think that the CBS could learn from them. Not sure about the flag waving. The light show and music is not everyone’s cup of tea but well done PA FC and its fans.

Their fans were very quiet. until we went a goal down.

The goal at the end. That bloke who ran off the pitch certainly lived the moment!

Edir. Our PA system. What’s it all about? They need to fix that soon. It has to be the worst in our league.

JohnWH

Agree with you in many respects.
And, as many have mentioned, there's a squad depth/quality dynamic too. Squads can be bigger, there are more allowable substitutions. Those who don't regularly start should still be prepared to do a job and do it effectively. While I do expect a professional level of fitness from any professional athlete, the bench is there for a reason. Also unrealistic for anyone to expect the entire bench to be able to be first team regulars in this division, it's a budget issue and if the club cannot get in quality players during transfer windows we'll it happens but there's also a lot more behind the scenes we all never get to see and we've all seen the dangers of just panic buying with regrets.

fernandopartridge

The main reasons Plymouth don't rest him are the same as those that meant we flogged Gyokeres to injury last season:

1. He's their best player and key goal creator
2. They don't have anybody decent to come in for him

Users who are viewing this thread