Match Thread PNE (H) 26/02 3 pm (1 Viewer)

robbiethemole

Since 2000 at home it’s even worse, 6 draws,6 losses and 4 wins so we really do need to get one over on them

Last edited:

steve101

I would like for Sheaf to come in and Allen to retain his place but further forward. However, Maatsen can't be left out and has looked a better player at AM than LWB since return from injury. He also gets back well to help Bidwell out from further forward. I therefore suspect Allen will drop to the bench. I wouldn't be adverse to Allen playing the O'Hare role though and giving him a well earned rest. Dabo has looked sharp, albeit in brief cameos but I worry if he comes back too soon he may aggravate previous injury.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

I would like for Sheaf to come in and Allen to retain his place but further forward. However, Maatsen can't be left out and has looked a better player at AM than LWB since return from injury. He also gets back well to help Bidwell out from further forward. I therefore suspect Allen will drop to the bench. I wouldn't be adverse to Allen playing the O'Hare role though and giving him a well earned rest. Dabo has looked sharp, albeit in brief cameos but I worry if he comes back too soon he may aggravate previous injury.
With the rest O'Hare thing I can see the point.

He is integral to a lot of our attacking play but we don't really make much headway early on in games. So for him to be more effective and give him a rest, I would consider Allen and Maatsen to start a game, make sure we set a solid foundation and bring him on for the second half. He was even more effective from that role (albeit in L1).

He already scares them and can get past them so imagine the terror he could unlease on defenders who'd already got 45mins in the legs?

JeffB

I agree with all comments on here. One very interesting statistic about Preston concerns last season not about OUR performance against them but the two teams who were promoted with us and who departed to League 1 because they were clearly not as good a footballing side as us. Both Rotherham and Wycombe had a direct, attack based philosophy and what they lacked in technical ability they made up for in a nothing to lose. lets go for it attitude. They got murdered by the more gifted footballing sides but it worked against some teams. Their joint record against Preston in the season they were relegated was played 5 ( Wycombe played them in the FA cup). Won 4 and drawn 1. Our record against them since we returned to the Championship is Played 3 Lost 3 with 1 goal scored.
I really do appreciate that time moves on and that past performance is no guide to future performance but what I am is a firm believer in history repeating itself. Preston will be delighted for us to give them a footballing lesson for 90% of the match with the usual patronising platitudes at the end of 90 minutes after they have beaten us 1-0 yet again with another smash and grab.
I remember the last time ( I think) we beat Preston and the way we did it was to just go for it and we were three up after about 20 minutes.
I will be so disappointed if there is a nil figure in the left hand column of our result against Preston at 5pm on Saturday after we have promised so much up to this point in the season . As some posters have said we have absolutely nothing to lose....so just go for it. I cannot remember the last time Preston did not score against us either home or away so I feel for 3 points we need to score at least 2 goals.
Let us hope we do and that we win and that our young and fearless team pay no interest to bogey sides and just put Preston away like so many lesser teams than us manage to do.

Last edited:

dadgad

We won in and of those second rate trophies? They were 2-1 up in injury time and we done em, 3-2! About 6/7 year ago?

SkyblueTexan

Cameron Archer looks dangerous. Think we were interested in getting him from some rumours I read. They love to lump it forward and go route 1. Think it will be tough, but hoping for another nail-biting 1-0 win.

SkyBlueMatt

Dabo isn't starting, its too early for him. I think he'll come on and get 20+ mins again.

Its good that he's finally back though because Kane could do with a bit of time on the bench. The midfield is working nicely, we'll benefit with some pace out wide.

With Hamer and Sheaf fresh, that won't hurt our chances of getting the win.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Sky Blue Harry H

If we win Saturday (a big if) then it will be massive for us. None of the 3rd-6th place teams (maybe QPR) are guaranteed to stay there. All still up for grabs. For us, and others (like Luton).

PNEinPeace

Cameron Archer looks dangerous. Think we were interested in getting him from some rumours I read. They love to lump it forward and go route 1. Think it will be tough, but hoping for another nail-biting 1-0 win.
Not since Lowe has taken over.

Interesting reading everyone’s comments. We seem to be quite a few teams bogey teams yet the league table never shows it 😂
I’m expecting a tough game from you lot, been one of my favourite teams to watch this season. You’ve got some cracking players and the recruitment you’ve done in recent years has been great.
Looking forward to a good atmosphere from both sets of fans. All the best!

PUSB-We_are_going_up

Not since Lowe has taken over.

Interesting reading everyone’s comments. We seem to be quite a few teams bogey teams yet the league table never shows it 😂
I’m expecting a tough game from you lot, been one of my favourite teams to watch this season. You’ve got some cracking players and the recruitment you’ve done in recent years has been great.
Looking forward to a good atmosphere from both sets of fans. All the best!
All the best unless you win 😉

tskezz

It'll probably end up being an uber but wondered if anyone knew what the best way of getting to Coundon was immediately after the game? as i remember CTK used to run a coach?

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

If we were to beat them tomorrow, it would go some way towards knocking them out of the playoff race a little bit.

Will be a tough game for sure, but after two wins on the bounce we should be really up for it.

JeffB

I can remember us beating them 4-1 and being 4 up in less than 30 minutes. I can't remember when though
2004 under Eric Black.
Bjarni Gudjonnson absolutely destroyed them before Peter Reid later destroyed him as a player.
The buggers still managed to score mind. They are as tenacious and resilient as hell. We have to match that and I have every confidence Mark Robins will ensure that we do.

cc84cov

Was that the one when Eric Black was in charge and we’d just smashed Millwall 4-0 the Saturday before?

Seem to remember Gudjohnnson scoring a car cracking header.
Remember that game,still can’t believe we replaced Black with Reid,black had us playing some great football

Happy_Martian

Next goal wins

I really think it will be this. 1-0 the scoreline but to who ? Our momentum seems to be as shaky as a jelly being rolled down a cobbled street. They seem to have a good run and then lose poorly.

0-1 Preston

skybluepm2

The only time we've beat them in the league I think since we started playing them post Prem relegation

Can't recall the segregation being as far over as it seems to be here either

remember this one well. Early kick off on Sky. Had my Chelsea supporting mate with me and travelled up to watch them play Wigan away in the 5:30 ko. Never done 2 games in the same day before 😂

What a hit from Doyler! Wasn’t a bad team, certainly had worse.Big Dele was in his prime.

SBAndy

The only time we've beat them in the league I think since we started playing them post Prem relegation

Can't recall the segregation being as far over as it seems to be here either

In the early stages of that season the club opened up behind the goal (round to block 10 or 11) for ST holders to move into. Lasted about 3 games because people were just chucking stuff at the away fans. Remember after that game the Preston fan coaches got smashed up.

fernandopartridge

In the early stages of that season the club opened up behind the goal (round to block 10 or 11) for ST holders to move into. Lasted about 3 games because people were just chucking stuff at the away fans. Remember after that game the Preston fan coaches got smashed up.

Oh yeah, didn't a steward have a heart attack or something

Users who are viewing this thread