Poll (2 Viewers)

Should Robins remain as manager if we fail to finish top 7 this season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ajsccfc

I'd want to keep Robins on as it feels as though there's direction under him whereas other managers have been a load of shoulder shrugs, but I can't justify it if we fail to at least reach the playoffs.

Dazmataz

I'd want to keep Robins on as it feels as though there's direction under him whereas other managers have been a load of shoulder shrugs, but I can't justify it if we fail to at least reach the playoffs.
This pretty much sums it up for me.

Londonccfcfan

Just had a look at various managers win %. It doesn't make good reading!

Robins 49.00
Slade 18.75
Mowbray 34.67
Pressley 32
Robins 51.52
Thorn 18.37
Boothroyd 30.77
Coleman 29.06
Dowie 40.82
Adams 33.33
Reid 32.26
Black 45.45
McAllister 27.63
Nilsson 44.19
Strachen 32.71
Atkinson 25.68
Neal 31.34
Gould 30.51
Butcher 33.33
Sillett 37.33

So Robins first spell is the most successful and his current spell 2nd. And whoever got shot of Nilsson and Dowie didn't do a good job with their replacements.

How on earth did Slade and Thorn both get jobs after their spells here?

Very Obviously the highest Win percentages of all those managers have been the season after a relegation (when arguably we have a better squad).
Nillson year after Premier League Relegation
Robins twice both times after Championship and League one Relegation.

steve cooper

We need to put this into perspective, yes we rode our luck against Swindon but they have one of the best away records in this league if not THE best. We won 3-1 BTW. We got beaten fairly easily on saturday by the form team in this league while we had 5 of our regular team either missing through injury or playing whilst recovering from illness. Burge, Grimmer, Doyle missing through injury, and McNulty & Bayliss sick apparently. FGR was a bad result, sometimes they happen. Lets see what happens tomorrow against Colchester, if we lose that alarm bells will start ringing. But you can't blame the manager for injuries, we have lost Jones, Andreu, Davies, and now possibly Grimmer & Doyle to season ending injuries. all of those players would be pretty much guaranteed to be in the team if fit.

Hobo

Errmm....the whole thread and poll is about what we should do at the end of the season if we don't make the top 7, so very first point and your summary aren't relevant.

We are giving him until the end of the season.

But you are happy to vote now regardless of what happens between now and the end of the season?

For instance we might do well and then be struck down with injuries in the last few games.

We could go into the last game 5th lose it and end up seventh or eight.

Basically voting to sack him now in a hypothetical poll purely on end of season league position with no context; is voting for no confidence in him now.

Nick

Administrator
But you are happy to vote now regardless of what happens between now and the end of the season?

For instance we might do well and then be struck down with injuries in the last few games.

Basically voting to sack him now in a hypothetical poll purely on end of season league position with no context; is voting for no confidence in him now.

To me it depends on the circumstances of what happens between now and the end of the season. If it gets to the point we are losing games and we look as clueless as FGR and Accrington I am really going to be worried.

If we start to turn it around and grind out some results and we lose in the playoff final / semi to a team who has outplayed us then it's different.

It's hard to say, I don't think it should be instant sacking as I want to see how he addresses the issues and builds on it.

Otis

No it's not.

I still have faith in Robins and I expect him to turn it round.

And there was context. I deliberately added in context. It's right there in my post.

I said there is a gray area and mentioned such as being pipped at the post etc. That would obviously include if we got crippled with injuries and suchlike, stuff like that.

I went out of my way to mention a gray area and it is wrong to suggest I have no faith in him now. Don't get that logic at all. I expect him to turn it round, but he said the aim was promotion and playoffs at worst. Outside the playoffs is failure.

If we fail to make the playoffs he will have failed.

Sorry but I think your logic is flawed and your deduction is wrong. :)

Terry Gibson's perm

If we get rid we will have to pay him and his staff off which will eat into our pathetic playing budget and do you really trust the idiots in charge to make a good replacement they have picked people like slade

higgs

We aren't going up easily with this squad anyway if we scrape into the playoffs is the best that can be expected out of this lot don't think anyone else could do any better than what robin's is doing. If you pay peanuts you get monkeys

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Otis

We aren't going up easily with this squad anyway if we scrape into the playoffs is the best that can be expected out of this lot don't think anyone else could do any better than what robin's is doing. If you pay peanuts you get monkeys

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
I know the game isn't played on paper, but when we heard about Vincenti and Kelly and Grimmer and McNulty and Biamou and Rod and Davies coming in we were pretty much all very happy.

Same too with Barrett and JMD.

Why some players have underperformed, who knows, but we had seemed to have made decent choices in our recruitment.

Baffles me at times, but then some of the tactics are wrong. People have a go at Biamou, but just how many actual chances has he had in front of goal this season?

Most matches we go all game without creating a chance for him.

letsallsingtogether

Yes sack him then people can have the excuse that the team wasn't the new managers job.
Change the team in close season, sack manager around xmas and start again.
giphy.gif

dadgad

Very Obviously the highest Win percentages of all those managers have been the season after a relegation (when arguably we have a better squad).
Nillson year after Premier League Relegation
Robins twice both times after Championship and League one Relegation.

Illustrates perfectly how the club has been consistently undermined.

JulianDarbyFTW

We had an extremely unbalanced squad at the end of last season. We now have a slightly more balanced team, but there are still obvious gaps. It was never guaranteed to be a 1 year promotion given the rebuild that was needed, and imho the number of 2 year contracts we offered seem to hint that this was considered the case from above. Plus, this is one of the few times in my living memory that we haven't been utter dog dirt all season, so on that basis I say give him another year.

Legia Sky Blue

I know the game isn't played on paper, but when we heard about Vincenti and Kelly and Grimmer and McNulty and Biamou and Rod and Davies coming in we were pretty much all very happy.

Why some players have underperformed, who knows, but we had seemed to have made decent choices in our recruitment.

Baffles me at times, but then some of the tactics are wrong. People have a go at Biamou, but just how many actual chances has he had in front of goal this season?

That's because as fans we all want new players to be better than what we have, and are always optimistic that they will be until they prove otherwise. Of course there's always youtube clips and the FIFA geeks to help the process too, and no doubt this Summer we will get the same excitement surrounding any potential new signing. It's just part & parcel of being a football fan, but looking back on the signings you mention very few of us would have had much first hand experience of seeing them play before joining us, so there wasn't any tangible reason we should have been happy, other than they weren't the players that got us relegated. How many of them were actually still wanted by their previous clubs? The same applies to Barrett & JMD who have been playing under 23 football at clubs whose teams we would probably expect to beat if we played them in the Checktrade trophy. I was quite surprised at the optimism that surrounded their signings as no one could have seen them play much beforehand, although even after seeing both start so poorly part of me is still thinking (ok hoping) that they turn out ok

steve82

The revolving door at CCFC since our arrival the championship.

Gordon Stachan 1996-01
Roland Nilsson 2001/02
Gary McAllister 2002/03
Eric Black 2003/04
Peter Reid 2004/05
Micky Adams 2005/07
Iain Dowie 2007/08
Chris Coleman 2008/10
Aidy Boothroyd 2010/11
Andy Thorn 2011/12
Mark Robins 2012/13
Steven Presley 2013/15
Tony Mowbray 2015/17
Mark Venus*2017
Russell Slade 2017
Mark Robins 2017-

15 permanent managers and extended caretaker role from Mark Venus* says sacking a manager isn't always the answer long term, it may give a initial response to get out of jail but to build upon it's a failure.

Some deserved the sack obviously but the next manager is forever clearing the last mans debris given players are given 2 year plus deals.

In 11 seasons in the championship we had 10 managers
In 5 seasons in League one we had 6 managers

It's time to believe in a manager for once who is still the best we've had for a while, let him build over another summer with players from around this level we've scouted this season.

* obviously not all managers listed were sacked. Some resigned or left for another club

Last edited:

Otis

Really hope we win tonight cant stand all this negativity until Saturday
Me neither. I thrive on positivity and you and I both know that if we lose tonight and then again on Saturday we will again be the worst team ever in City's history, Robins will be crap and we'll all never ever set foot in the Rioch again.

There's no half measures on here.

Her: 'I got you a Valentine's card yesterday.'

Him: 'Aww, thank you so much. That's so nice of you. I love you more and more each day'

Her: 'Unfortunately though I left it on a seat on the bus and can't afford another, so you'll have to do without. Really sorry.'

Him: 'Grrr, I hate you, you stupid tight bitch, can't you get anything right?'

SkyBlueRuffian

What’s the point of him loaning players, i.e. JMD and Barrett who are not ready to go straight into our first team and improve things. He brings in players then sits them on the bench or in the U23’s team, he did the same win Andreu when we signed him. End of the day players should be signed to improve the team.

Nick

Administrator
What’s the point of him loaning players, i.e. JMD and Barrett who are not ready to go straight into our first team and improve things. He brings in players then sits them on the bench or in the U23’s team, he did the same win Andreu when we signed him. End of the day players should be signed to improve the team.

Andreu is a bit different to a loan player, he was signed properly and wasn't up to match fitness so he brought him in slowly didn't he via a few U23 games? He came in later on, so missed out most of pre-season.

steve82

I think if I remember JMD was a player who they had eyes on in the summer so a lot of homework had been done on him already so was a easy option I'd guess but he'd had a injury while on loan at Lincoln which he'd all but recovered from prior to joining us.

Barrett had a illness which wiped him out around the time to completing his loan and scored a hat-trick v Crystal Palace when he quoted himself to be only 80% fit only a month ago.

Says a lot about the level of U23's football and the constant calls for Ponticelli to play as he's scoring there. The intensity and level of play isn't anywhere near L2 and players are developing while thriving in the U23 setting.

I still believe Barrett will have a big impact on the side as the season closes

SkyBlueRuffian

Barrett had a illness which wiped him out around the time to completing his loan and scored a hat-trick v Crystal Palace when he quoted himself to be only 80% fit only a month ago.

Says a lot about the level of U23's football and the constant calls for Ponticelli to play as he's scoring there. The intensity and level of play isn't anywhere near L2 and players are developing while thriving in the U23 setting.

I still believe Barrett will have a big impact on the side as the season closes
He’s fit now but doesn’t play him, so another bench warmer.

Terry_dactyl

I know you're joking but I think he's actually stopped coaching now too. Am sure I read somewhere he has chronic back issues related to his early retirement as a player.

Blimey. I didn’t know that. Wasn’t he assistant somewhere quite recently...the villa?

ajsccfc

He was assistant with Southampton up until a few months ago, I think he took temporary charge of Villa in their hilarious last PL season.

Adge

Not sure about that Otis. Didn’t the more sensible of us say “let’s wait and see-none of us have seen them play yet”?
I think we can now say that the signings have been 50/50. Some good some bad.

Captain Dart

I think this poll result is about the same as a similar one for Andy Thorn a couple of seasons ago.

Hobo

Back in the day Liverpool bought players for large sums and sat them on the bench until they had time to gel with their team mates. If you make 3 or 4 signings they aren't all going to hit the ground running.

Users who are viewing this thread