Portsmouth (Away) Match Thread (1 Viewer)

Nick

Administrator
Match thread for Portsmouth (Away). Discuss Predictions, Tactics and the game!<div style="float:right; text-align:center;"><h2>Portsmouth (Away) </h2>

portsmouth-fc-crest144-3094.png

Martin Road
7.30PM Kick Off
</div>

Terry Gibson's perm

Doyle to run around like and idiot and Barton to stand still scratching his arse, 1v1 goals scored by the prolific at this time of the season trialist!

Skyblueweeman

I was just about to start this thread Nick as the game's in my neck of the woods but you beat me to it!

I'm going for a 2-1 win to us, Vincelot getting the winner.

For those looking for pre-match beer, there's 2 fairly local pubs to the ground, The Heron and The Curlew. I've not been in either but have heard they're pretty rough, especially The Heron. I'd stick the the Spoons in Havant (yes, probably a better option) and then get a cab to the ground which would cost no more than £5-£8.

If anyone needs cab numbers, let me know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brez

Do you know what it's like for parking near the ground, thinking of having a day out. Is the area as bad as it it made out to be, cheers.

Skyblueweeman

Do you know what it's like for parking near the ground, thinking of having a day out. Is the area as bad as it it made out to be, cheers.

It's in a residential area called Leigh Park which is notoriously rough in this part of the world. That said, it isn't as bad as it used to be. The ground is in a residential area and I don't think there's parking restrictions in place. If there are, they normally finish around 6pm but I don't think there is. There's a church just up the road and an industrial estate (mainly a company called Colt) and there's parking there. Only a few minutes walk to the ground from there.

Limey

The curlew is a locals pub which isn't too glamorous. Havant itself has a couple of homely boozers. Apparently the ground has a nice clubhouse to get a beer at.

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
Playing at Havant & Waterlooville eh? City connections? One time player and manager for them was our own Liam Daish. Not there now though.

SkyblueBazza

I would more recommend Rowlands Castle for a very pleasant pre-match drink. Short drive to the ground then...you might even find me there if I manage to get away early enough

...onwards & upwards PUSB

brez

Looking on pompey fans forum,Adam Barton got injured in the warm up at the weekend, unlikely to play, Theo Robinson impressed on trial though. 2000 pompey fans drank gosport dry and they had to send for a keg from the cricket club. I expect they'll have a good crowd tomorrow being so close.

Joy Division

Is there segregation in place for this being as its at a smaller ground? I know its only a friendly but can't think that City and Pompey fans would mix too well bearing in mind our history.

brez

I would think we will be in the away end as it will be classed as their home game. Can't see many city fans turning out for this one

sw88

Chief Commentator!
Is there segregation in place for this being as its at a smaller ground? I know its only a friendly but can't think that City and Pompey fans would mix too well bearing in mind our history.

Worst events I seen at highfield road was City V Pompey. Remember fans being segregated by a line of riot cops outside the west terrace / away entrance and being sent in different directions. Didn't some even evade the away stand and try to enter our stands?

SkyblueBazza

Looking on pompey fans forum,Adam Barton got injured in the warm up at the weekend, unlikely to play, Theo Robinson impressed on trial though. 2000 pompey fans drank gosport dry and they had to send for a keg from the cricket club. I expect they'll have a good crowd tomorrow being so close.
The 2nd part of this is true...Gosport like Havant & Waterlooville is FULL of Pompey fans. So yes...the match is a likely sell-out for home fans. I know a fair number of Pompey - they're generally a really good bunch.
Like the world over...be nice & they'll be nice back. Be un-nice & it stands a chance you'll get battered.

Houchens Head

You making the fixture HH?

Doubt it. If it was during the day, then maybe, but the ferries are notorious for being cancelled late at night. I might not get back home! :mad:

Houchens Head

The 2nd part of this is true...Gosport like Havant & Waterlooville is FULL of Pompey fans. So yes...the match is a likely sell-out for home fans. I know a fair number of Pompey - they're generally a really good bunch.
Like the world over...be nice & they'll be nice back. Be un-nice & it stands a chance you'll get battered.

Out of the Pompey fans and Southampton fans here on the island, I prefer the Southampton lot. Whenever I've been on the Red Jet to go across to the "North island" on a match day, they've been great when I say I'm a Cov fan. I've always found the Pompey fans a miserable lot!

Skyblueweeman

Out of the Pompey fans and Southampton fans here on the island, I prefer the Southampton lot. Whenever I've been on the Red Jet to go across to the "North island" on a match day, they've been great when I say I'm a Cov fan. I've always found the Pompey fans a miserable lot!

I think Saints fans are sympathetic to Cov as they dodged the SISU bullet before us. Having worked in both cities for a few years (including at Southampton FC), the Southampton fans are more bitter over their inter-city rivalry.

Back on topic and those asking earlier about parking...I drove through Leigh Park earlier and past the ground and there didn't seem to be any parking restrictions in place.

kdrinkell

I like Pompey they are a good club and have good support,although we did have a minor skirmish back in the day lol
Also I have a few friends down there might go down

labrax

If you're coming by car and want a pre-match drink why not head towards Hayling Island first it's 1-2 miles away from ground, away from the locals and easy to find just one straight road to and from the ground. Just before Langstone Bridge there's two pubs The Ship & The Oak on the left, free parking with some great views across the harbours to enjoy. There's also the newly opened Langbrook which does some reasonable food at a good price but not on the harbour. Also 10 min walk from Havant train station. Have a good day.

Skyblueweeman

If you're coming by car and want a pre-match drink why not head towards Hayling Island first it's 1-2 miles away from ground, away from the locals and easy to find just one straight road to and from the ground. Just before Langstone Bridge there's two pubs The Ship & The Oak on the left, free parking with some great views across the harbours to enjoy. There's also the newly opened Langbrook which does some reasonable food at a good price but not on the harbour. Also 10 min walk from Havant train station. Have a good day.

However, avoid the road on/off the Island in rush hour!

labrax

However, avoid the road on/off the Island in rush hour!

If can get a bit busy if you're going all the way down but your only going to the bridge about 800 yards and all of Havant area is the same tbh. It's going to be nice evening according to the weather forecast

Nick

Administrator
Will he be trying to see as many players as possible with 2 teams or just trying to win and see his best players?

Skyblueweeman

Will he be trying to see as many players as possible with 2 teams or just trying to win and see his best players?

Sure he said in at CT article today that he's going to start to look at more of his preferred line up as opposed to giving everyone 45 mins etc.

LJC_CCFC

Trialist Ruben Lameiras will also be involved against Portsmouth in the 7.30 kick-off at Havant and Waterlooville...
Coventry City left-back Ryan Haynes will miss tonight's friendly match against Portsmouth through injury.

The 19-year old defender suffered a slight hamstring injury last week in training and won't be risked against Pompey as he regains full fitness.

Conor Thomas suffered a severe concussion in the 0-0 friendly draw against Nuneaton Town and will continue to be sidelined as a precaution.

Reda Johnson will be in the squad for the match after he came through 70 minutes in the 11v11 training game on Friday, so he should make his first appearance of pre-season tonight.

Lee Burge will also make his first appearance of pre-season after missing the Nuneaton draw due to illness.

Trialist Ruben Lameiras will be the only trialist involved against Portsmouth tonight with kick-off for the game at 7.30am at Havant and Waterlooville's West Leigh Park.

Users who are viewing this thread