Positive News for the Academy - Wasps pull out of Higgs (1 Viewer)

Skyblueweeman

In other words they paid for it.
If there is a problem with the main structure of the building or if something broken that is not the tenants fault then yes the landlord will repair it.
It is like if seats are broken at a CCFC match then the club has to pay, if however it is deemed that it is down to wear and tear then the wasps would have to cough up the money.
Wasps may have initially spent some money sprucing it up, wouldn't have thought it would have been a great deal though nothing much has changed, Haven't spent a penny on the Arena by the looks of it bar a few club badges.....

Wasps/ACL paid for it, yes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hobo

They advertise u10’s free. I’ve actually witnessed a guy trying to give away a batch of free tickets to a Sunday Wasps match last year.
Another reason for supporting Cov Rugby accompanied u16's are free.

itsabuzzard

Not really, Paul Fletcher was the one who come out with that. He said the model at the time was unsustainable
What seems to be overlooked quite often is that having (presumably) done their due diligence and entered in to agreements with their eyes wide open, SISU then tear up the rental agreement within months and move the club out of the city. Ridiculous. The consequences of these actions are long-lasting and may even threaten the existence of the club we know and love.

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

Nick

Administrator
What seems to be overlooked quite often is that having (presumably) done their due diligence and entered in to agreements with their eyes wide open, SISU then tear up the rental agreement within months and move the club out of the city. Ridiculous. The consequences of these actions are long-lasting and may even threaten the existence of the club we know and love.

Is within months the same as 5 years now?

It's interesting how you go from saying it's nonsense that the club tried to re-negotiate to "ah well SISU should have known" to fall back on.

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

We’re not discussing what SISU should have done, we’re discussing whether the club attempted to renegotiate the deal 3 months in.

If I remember rightly they wanted a sliding scale that went up in the premier league but went down as we got relegated.

ACL/Council refused to discuss it

itsabuzzard

You have to put all this in context: SISU took on the rental agreement as it stood. To take on any agreement and then turn round and refuse to abide by the agreed terms is plain wrong.

Nick

Administrator
You have to put all this in context: SISU took on the rental agreement as it stood. To take on any agreement and then turn round and refuse to abide by the agreed terms is plain wrong.

Yes but that's nothing to do with what you just said was nonsense?

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

If I remember rightly they were the council’s only preferred bidder...

Again, we weren’t discussing what SISU should have done, you said it was rubbish that the club wanted to renegotiate the deal long before SISU even arrived

Captain Dart

In other words they paid for it.
If there is a problem with the main structure of the building or if something broken that is not the tenants fault then yes the landlord will repair it.
It is like if seats are broken at a CCFC match then the club has to pay, if however it is deemed that it is down to wear and tear then the wasps would have to cough up the money.
Wasps may have initially spent some money sprucing it up, wouldn't have thought it would have been a great deal though nothing much has changed, Haven't spent a penny on the Arena by the looks of it bar a few club badges.....

That Hilton refurb. was publicised as being a multi-million pound job (see link in my prev. reply).

Last edited:

Captain Dart

Not really, Paul Fletcher was the one who come out with that. He said the model at the time was unsustainable
Having just negotiated the deal for ACL he became CCFC MD and said it was unfair. Slightly surreal.

christonabike

The thing is we are only paying £120k a year rent at the moment (or so Im led to believe) we dont have any of the extra cost such as maintenance or up keep of a 12 year old stadium and our owners are still spending fook all on getting us up the leagues. Im sure the rent is cheaper than £300k a year and food and beverages profit?
We all know we were done over with a £1.2M a year rent but that was signed off a long time ago. What has Sisu done to get the fans onside and actually get money coming into the club? Nothing but legal battles, price increases and untold amount of bullshit. I and many others didnt renew this year after 24 years (except Northampton) paid £640 for a ticket in the legends lounge, £4.40 for shit warm Carlesberg and not one of us has received a letter or phone call asking us to renew. Everything they do turns into dogshit and we now have to rely on a court case or hoping Wasps fail for any future.
Sisu knew the terms before they bought the City or should I say got the shares for fook all and all we get from them its unsustainable blah blah. Well sell up and fook off! Simples.

Hobo

Nope it’s 9 home games and and advertised as a 25% reduction - it’s £50’more than the coventry rugby club offer which is 3rd division rugby.

As I say - you seem frantic to defend them

Frantic? You really are an idiot. And I am not defending them. I think prices going up, free tickets drying up and attendances falling are a sign they might be having a tough time? I don't see how that is defending them. But you just carry on arguing against me, you obviously get off on it.

chiefdave

The consequences of these actions are long-lasting and may even threaten the existence of the club we know and love.
Virtually everyone agrees the rent was unsustainable and ACL refused to negotiate so what was the better way forward? Keep paying for the next 50 years until it was time for a new agreement?

Even when the lease was broken the long term damage to the club should have been minimal. As is repeatedly pointed out the long term damage was caused when the council sold to Wasps. That's the point at which things became irreversible.

Liquid Gold

I suspect that if ACL/the council maintained control of the Ricoh after sisu moved us back from Northampton then they would have sold by now. Without Wasps' involvement we'd have been a more attractive proposition to potential owners that aren't deluded gamblers. A buyer could have sorted a deal in principle with the council dependant on buying the football club meaning sisu wouldn't have gained control of the arena and we'd have been rid of our owners.

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

Timeline of
I suspect that if ACL/the council maintained control of the Ricoh after sisu moved us back from Northampton then they would have sold by now. Without Wasps' involvement we'd have been a more attractive proposition to potential owners that aren't deluded gamblers. A buyer could have sorted a deal in principle with the council dependant on buying the football club meaning sisu wouldn't have gained control of the arena and we'd have been rid of our owners.
What’s even worse is as I mentioned earlier, there were other bidders for the club when SISU took over..

It was the council who said they’d only deal with SISU, maybe if they’d have agreed to the sale of the club to the devil we knew rather than the ones we don’t we’d be better off

Captain Dart

And the reason they'd only deal with SISU was that all the other interested parties wanted ownership of the ground as they'd identified renting as an issue.
Never heard that one, your source?

skybluetony176

Try the search box at the top of this site, its been discussed numerous times.

It’s been assumed to be fact. I’ve challenged several posters for proof and none has ever been provided. I’ve even gone away and looked for the proof myself and never found anything to say that either SISU didn’t want ownership of the arena so we’re the preferred bidder or everyone else did so wasn’t the preferred bidder(s). I did however find direct quotes from CCFC board members at the time who were involved in all the attempted takeovers including SISU’s successful one who provided completely different reasons to the assumed fact. I even provided links to the articles and quotes which were of course dismissed by those wishing to believe the assumed fact that no one could provide proof for.

Grendel

Never heard that one, your source?

One company wanted an extended lease and Ken Taylor told them to piss off and even said it was a terrrible deal as the charity would lose a couple of million.

How ironic.

Grendel

Also the only reason sisu are here is because they were always preferred as they were not purchasing ACL. That obnoxious clown Gidney had ridiculous aspirations for the arena and had no intention of letting the club in on his “gold mine”. He brokered the deal with sisu as he was mates with Ranson.

Captain Dart

One company wanted an extended lease and Ken Taylor told them to piss off and even said it was a terrrible deal as the charity would lose a couple of million.

How ironic.
My question was about ownership not lease length. I guess Dave doesn't have a source so he is trying to deflect my question.
In hindsight I think a 100 yr lease and much lower rent should have been a minimum demand for anyone taking on CCFC, but we can't roll back the clock can we.

Grendel

My question was about ownership not lease length. I guess Dave doesn't have a source so he is trying to deflect my question.
In hindsight I think a 100 yr lease and much lower rent should have been a minimum demand for anyone taking on CCFC, but we can't roll back the clock can we.

Gidney introduced sisu as a preferred bidder as they were not interested in purchasing shares in acl. The bidder wanted a purchase of the Higgs shares hence the Taylor comment as part of the deal.

itsabuzzard

Virtually everyone agrees the rent was unsustainable and ACL refused to negotiate so what was the better way forward? Keep paying for the next 50 years until it was time for a new agreement?

Even when the lease was broken the long term damage to the club should have been minimal. As is repeatedly pointed out the long term damage was caused when the council sold to Wasps. That's the point at which things became irreversible.
Then SISU must have been one of the few who did think the rental deal was sustainable, otherwise why sign up to it? Unless they had a cunning plan, of course...

Liquid Gold

Then SISU must have been one of the few who did think the rental deal was sustainable, otherwise why sign up to it? Unless they had a cunning plan, of course...

Because SISU never intended to be direct owners of the club. Ranson sold them the dream of give me x cash and I'll give you a great return by getting us to the premier league and selling on. Ranson didn't use that cash as he wanted to invest in them, get to the promised land and get his cash back. When he and Coleman had spunked all the cash they came back to SISU asking for more, were told no and stormed out of the club in a hissy fit. At that point SISU had to take direct control and appointed a load of useless idiots who tried to run the club like a business (never works in football) which leads us to dropping down the divisions.

So the short answer to your question is SISU signed up to the rental because they only saw themselves as short term owners lead by a man who thought he had a greater understanding of football than he did.

Grendel

I don’t know what you are getting at? So they should have just gone into admin much quicker?

The plan was far from cunning. They should have stopped paying on day one and bought the whole house of cards down.

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

And this how their short termism failed. They were convinced by Ranson to invest a couple of million and get promoted to the promise land.

Doubt the plan was to stick around this long, they have no idea how to run a football club

Captain Dart

which leads us to dropping down the divisions.
That was a consequence of SISU's fiscal management, they've trimmed the club to the bone to prevent losses.
To be honest it was something the club should have been much better at in the past.

torchomatic

Users who are viewing this thread