Post match comments from Venus (1 Viewer)

Rory83

Oxford was a shambles, nobody could or would hide from that. Bolton was better but in reality just another 90 minutes of frustration. Now, Venus coming out as he did post match slagging the players off and saying we need men not boys and how we are not ready for league one. Mate, that's going to blow up in your face and destroy what fragile confidence is left. At the end of the day, you were part of the management team that brought in a lot of these "boys". If I was one of the players I'd be fuming. The club is falling apart, the board is universally hated, fans are up in arms. The least we could hope for is that the manager would say forget what's going on around you and work for eachother and we'll be fine. Now, he might be lying through his teeth saying that but at least it would offer some positivity. The man has no interpersonal skills whatsoever, and I'm autistic!

The twat needs to go, he's not what we need right now at all. There is quality at this club, there's talent and therefore hope.

Ashdown

He had a small blip of a few good results and the performances seem better than under Mowbray but what we are back to again ultimately is the whole negative, self destructive, short term aura about the football club. No manager I'm afraid is going to overcome that. Only SISU leaving and being replaced with someone more transparent and less devious will stop the rot !

Rory83

It's a fair point, but surely you've got to play the game? We all know what we are, do we need it spelling out by the guy who should be rallying the troops? I don't like his approach at all. Reminds me of Tony Adams at Wycombe blasting his players.

1ccfc

Not defending the guy, just looking at it from another angle. Maybe he hoped this would motivate the players, or maybe they were that bad they were beyond defending. Had he come out and supported the players then that would be wrong in some peoples eyes as well! This also could be his way of trying to get some funds in January from our owners - who knows? Personally I'm not a fan of his or this rolling temporary situation. As we all know and keep saying change is needed at the top. PUSB

Rory83

Sadly I don't think the players of today are as robust as they used to be. You always had the odd diva in a side, but now the majority can't man up and take criticism. True of a lot of managers too.

They need their arses handing to them, but not in public. That never works. You're one step away from doing a Parkinson at Hull with that type of management.

They need their egos massaging, they need to feel they are great and believed in by the guy who picks the team. I think you've also got to look at the tactics and think, are these players capable of playing the way I want or do I need something more basic to get results. Let's not kid ourselves, just about every player at the club would rather be elsewhere. That needs to change.

Ian1779

Can't see any issue personally in telling these 'men' that they were bullied off the park by other 'men'.

When you get beaten by a team that are just plain better - you can take it. When you get beaten by a team with more desire/passion/will to win then they should be called out for it.

PTA

There's always an answer isn't there? Pressley was too complimentary, Mowbray changed nothing, and now Venus is too harsh. We're 20th in league one for fuck's sake. Even if it has a negative effect, the players need a boot up the arse.

stevefloyd

At least he says it as it is... they are kids some need an arm round them and some need a giant kick up the arse.. at present they all need a kick up the arse regardless... maybe its an army ploy.. break them and turn them into men

Paxman II

These comments are born of frustration from the fans. If he wins well on Saturday what will you say then?
The fact remains we need 3 good elements we are sadly lacking in the team and that is all it would take to make us a good side. There have been some recent good performances so we can't be all bad and there are far worse in this league.
Three elements:
1. A striker who can score goals
2. A centre back
3. A strong midfielder who can dictate play.

Also why not look at who we have in our squads more closely? I'm old enough to remember Chris Sutton being 'converted' from a centre half into a top goal scorer. We all know Gareth Bale was a full back. Can you think of any of our squad who could be 'converted' ?

I certainly hope Mc.Bean gets a start on Saturday. Sordell, Agei and co are the most woeful front men I've seen in some time.
Also hope Rose is fit...such an important player for us.

Otis

Can't see any issue personally in telling these 'men' that they were bullied off the park by other 'men'.

When you get beaten by a team that are just plain better - you can take it. When you get beaten by a team with more desire/passion/will to win then they should be called out for it.
Well yep, if he says they were bullied off the park, then fine, but he also said they are not good enough for League One.

That's not saying they weren't good enough in one or two games, but that he doesn't believe they are good enough for the league itself.

I think it was a stupid thing to say. By all means say that they need to prove themselves and it is not good enough at the moment, but he is pretty much writing off the campaign for these players.

Can't see how that will motivate them or encourage them.

He could have easily just said that if they keep playing like they did against Oxford then they are simply not good enough for this division.

Paxman II

Well yep, if he says they were bullied off the park, then fine, but he also said they are not good enough for League One.

That's not saying they weren't good enough in one or two games, but that he doesn't believe they are good enough for the league itself.

I think it was a stupid thing to say. By all means say that they need to prove themselves and it is not good enough at the moment, but he is pretty much writing off the campaign for these players.

Can't see how that will motivate them or encourage them.

He could have easily just said that if they keep playing like they did against Oxford then they are simply not good enough for this division.
Symantics O. Frankly if he said that to me I'd go out next game and show him how good I was. My livelihood depends on it. I'd also be thinking the manager is just angry and is to be expected.

Otis

Symantics O. Frankly if he said that to me I'd go out next game and show him how good I was. My livelihood depends on it. I'd also be thinking the manager is just angry and is to be expected.
Well I honestly can't remember any other manager in my entire lifetime that has said his team isn't good enough for the league they were in, when it is only November and not even half way through the season.

Sky Blue Kid

The man hasn't got a clue how to handle footballers, simple as that! No matter what profession NO MANAGER should publicly berate his staff. That should be done in his/her office. SP went the other way, too nice about players in public apart from the young Arsenal loanee on the touchline... anyone remember that?

Rory83

Venus might be the type of bloke who is that blinkered that he is thinking, what would have made me react as a player. Well, that approach won't work. It's backfired on far bigger and more respected names than Venus.

If we completely fold and start losing for a pastime then he's going to have to take a load of responsibility for those comments and their impact.

Nobody wants their boss to tell them they're crap and not up to the job. You'll lose interest and want out very quickly. There hasn't been enough praise when we've performed, which admittedly has been few and far between. Still, if you want to dish it out then in equal measure you've got to talk the team up during a good performance.

shelby76

Oxford was a shambles, nobody could or would hide from that. Bolton was better but in reality just another 90 minutes of frustration. Now, Venus coming out as he did post match slagging the players off and saying we need men not boys and how we are not ready for league one. Mate, that's going to blow up in your face and destroy what fragile confidence is left. At the end of the day, you were part of the management team that brought in a lot of these "boys". If I was one of the players I'd be fuming. The club is falling apart, the board is universally hated, fans are up in arms. The least we could hope for is that the manager would say forget what's going on around you and work for eachother and we'll be fine. Now, he might be lying through his teeth saying that but at least it would offer some positivity. The man has no interpersonal skills whatsoever, and I'm autistic!

The twat needs to go, he's not what we need right now at all. There is quality at this club, there's talent and therefore hope.
Veno has had better results than mowbray, think his biggest problem is the young loan players who are not as good as our own youngsters lets get behind him and the results will come.

rupert_bear

Judge him in January he has 3 or 4 players on their bikes then and motivating them, bollicking them privately or publically must be a nightmare. We need to hope we are atleast in a similar position as we are now and not adrift bring in better replacements good enough to shove us up the league and away from trouble. He will have a preferred way of playing could be wing backs or 433 even 442 and will hopefully bring in the players to suit....if sisu allow it that is !!

ccfcway

Also why not look at who we have in our squads more closely? I'm old enough to remember Chris Sutton being 'converted' from a centre half into a top goal scorer. We all know Gareth Bale was a full back. Can you think of any of our squad who could be 'converted' ?

Well, at present we are trying to convert Sterry and Page into wing backs, Sordell into a winger, Jones into a right winger, and wright, Reid and Agyei into footballers.

ccfcway

Judge him in January he has 3 or 4 players on their bikes then and motivating them, bollicking them privately or publically must be a nightmare. We need to hope we are atleast in a similar position as we are now and not adrift bring in better replacements good enough to shove us up the league and away from trouble. He will have a preferred way of playing could be wing backs or 433 even 442 and will hopefully bring in the players to suit....if sisu allow it that is !!

This is his team and his formation. MV isn't new to the club, he was instrumental in bringing these players into the club in the summer

NorthernWisdom

This is his team and his formation. MV isn't new to the club, he was instrumental in bringing these players into the club in the summer

This is the concern, and tbh does marry Thorn a bit, in that ultimately it's not like which players we have here are a surprise to the current manager.

That being said...

I tend to agree with this. Football's harsh, but the rewards are there. The players that make it tend to be the tougher ones. This is their chance to prove their manager wrong.

shelby76

Not really he presented targets that were available to mowbray, mowbray says get me ABC or if not XYZ out of the list he might not have agreed 100% with all player tony liked?

shelby76

Not really he presented targets that were available to mowbray, mowbray says get me ABC or if not XYZ out of the list he might not have agreed 100% with all player tony liked?

shelby76

shelby76

shelby76

Users who are viewing this thread