Pre Season Gallery / Greg Moorhouse on Trial (1 Viewer)

Nick

Administrator
He's gone to Sligo Rovers now and left Glenavon.

smileycov

Facebook User
i think we can put that down down to Thomas Turnball & Reid not sorting anything out yet. Especially George as a fee would be involved. Shame that

Grendel

i think we can put that down down to Thomas Turnball & Reid not sorting anything out yet. Especially George as a fee would be involved. Shame that

Doubt that. Thomas is gone. This guy would have been on a very low deal.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

I think those three players stalling is exactly what's holding up any further transfer activity.

"Moorhouse revealed Coventry were keen to sign him but the move broke down as the clubs were unable to agree a deal."

Gazolba

Because he clearly wasn't, no matter what the reason is (and one can speculate if they wish), Mark Robins didn't feel giving him a contract was something that would have benefitted us, i.e not worthy of a contract.
Well it turns out he WAS offered a contract, so your assumptions were completely wrong!

smileycov

Facebook User
Doubt that. Thomas is gone. This guy would have been on a very low deal.
But Glenavon said it was a free, then when he was offered a contract they said hang on we now want a fee! Hence we miss out

Gazolba

From Sligo Rovers FC website:
Moorhouse makes move to Rovers
220x165xIMG_2740,P20,P281,P29.JPG,qitok=MnuxIxE0.pagespeed.ic.2yptWS_M1R.jpg

Sligo Rovers can confirm the signing of striker Greg Moorhouse on a contract until the end of the current SSE Airtricity Premier Division.

Rovers have signed the 23-year-old after a fine season in the NIFL with 10 league goals with Glenavon, as well as nine assists, with 16 goals in all competitions.

He recently returned from a trial spell at Coventry City and was in demand following his return to Ireland, but the Bit o' Red have won the race for his signature after agreeing a deal with his club.

Moorhouse began his career with Lourdes Celtic and St Joseph's Boys, before shining with Crumlin United, including the winner against Finn Harps in an FA Cup tie last year.

That persuaded Glenavan to sign the striker and following a breakthrough year in the North, he joins Gerard Lyttle's men.

Moorhouse said: "I'm really excited. Hopefully we can start pushing up the table. That's why I'm here

"It was a good season with Glenavon last year. I started off well. I had a little injury as I fractured my metertasal. I came back straight into the team and scored a lot of goals.

"The season didn't end too well as we missed out on Europe but I still consider it a good season looking back on it all.

"Hopefully I can come in and score some goals. I had a look at it, I was here on Saturday night for the Dundalk game. The signs were good. The result was deserved. There is a lot of fresh faces coming in and we can pull together and get some results."

Moorhouse revealed Coventry were keen to sign him but the move broke down as the clubs were unable to agree a deal.

He said the time spent with Coventry has given him a taste for full-time football: "I loved it. I went over there for two weeks of pre-season with the option of a third week in Spain if they liked me.

"The two weeks went well, then the trip to Spain went well and in the fourth week it came about that Coventry wanted to offer me a contract. They told me to head home and get more stuff and say goodbye to my family.

"They tried to get in touch with Glenavon to sort out a deal and that fell through. It did alert a lot of clubs then. I really enjoyed it over there. I enjoyed training two times a day and going to the gym and the constant environment of football time football. I think I already learned a lot from the four weeks with Coventry."

The striker was at The Showgrounds on Saturday to witness the 1-1 draw with Dundalk and will come into contention for this Saturday's game with St Patrick's Athletic in Sligo.

"The crowd pushed the team on last Saturday. The lads did well. I can see why our home form has been good because the fans are brilliant.

"I played for St Pat's at schoolboy level. Hopefully I'll be involved on Saturday. It looks like it'll be a six-pointer and that would get us level if we win. We can go out and get the result."

Gazolba

Sligo Rovers average home attendance is around 2000. I wonder how they could afford Moorhouse and we couldn't?

AlansEyes

Maybe this was more of a case that MR thought he was worth taking a punt on for a free but if they want a fee then he felt that money would be better used elsewhere. Or, maybe it just shows how far we've fallen #shfwf

mark82

Interesting his deal's to the end of the Irish season only. Wonder if we could go back for him in January?

Dav

Unless we didn't want to?
Registered just to confirm that this is definitely what happened. Coventry weren't happy Glenavon went back on their word and wouldn't have paid even £100 for him.

There's no way we paid more than €5k IMO. Money is tight as it is at every LOI club not playing in Europe. I can count on one hand the number of transfer fees we have paid in my lifetime.

Bit surprised we only signed him until November. There's only 10 league games left over here.

Good luck this season lads.

Nick

Administrator
Registered just to confirm that this is definitely what happened. Coventry weren't happy Glenavon went back on their word and wouldn't have paid even £100 for him.

There's no way we paid more than €5k IMO. Money is tight as it is at every LOI club not playing in Europe. I can count on one hand the number of transfer fees we have paid in my lifetime.

Bit surprised we only signed him until November. There's only 10 league games left over here.

Good luck this season lads.
It's only until November? He will be a free agent then so if still interested could come over on a low wage.

What's your average wage over there?

Is your season over the summer?

Dav

It's only until November? He will be a free agent then so if still interested could come over on a low wage.

What's your average wage over there?

Is your season over the summer?

We play March - November over here. The majority of teams are part time. We're one of the few full time teams although a lot of our performances this season would suggest otherwise..
Our weekly wage budget was around the €20k mark to start the season so Moorhouse is probably on €500 - €700 per week if I were to guess. We were desperate enough to pay a fee for potentially just 10 games from him though so it could be more than that.

Nick

Administrator
We play March - November over here. The majority of teams are part time. We're one of the few full time teams although a lot of our performances this season would suggest otherwise..
Our weekly wage budget was around the €20k mark to start the season so Moorhouse is probably on €500 - €700 per week if I were to guess. We were desperate enough to pay a fee for potentially just 10 games from him though so it could be more than that.
Wouldn't mind that season, you miss out all the bad weather :)

Are you pushing to win something or stay up?

Maybe you will just keep him for next season and have agreed something further.

Dav

Wouldn't mind that season, you miss out all the bad weather :)

Are you pushing to win something or stay up?

Stay up. We are currently 10th in a 12 team league with 3 teams going down this season.

Summer seasons are nice but I do miss the winter games when I'm watching football on TV at Christmas. We switched to Summer in 2003. It has helped our clubs in Europe too since we often go up against teams still in pre-season.

Nick

Administrator
Stay up. We are currently 10th in a 12 team league with 3 teams going down this season.

Summer seasons are nice but I do miss the winter games when I'm watching football on TV at Christmas. We switched to Summer in 2003. It has helped our clubs in Europe too since we often go up against teams still in pre-season.
It will be worth the money if he comes in and helps keep you up, it will help him because he could potentially get a move based off that.

mark82

It will be worth the money if he comes in and helps keep you up, it will help him because he could potentially get a move based off that.

Hopefully to us. Just got a decent feeling about the lad. Was actually a bit gutted when he didn't sign even though I'd not heard of him a couple of weeks ago.

mark82

Hope he does the business for you. The lad deserves a break after what has seemingly just happened.

Liquid Gold

I am not sure on how it works, as he has played for another club after our window has closed and then become a free agent. Then again it's Ireland, so no idea :(
I think because its international then he can sign today if Robins wants him. I'd go for it, he sounded good pre season and could provide the pace we need on the other side to Jones needed to open up some sticky defences.

skybluesam66

to be fair who are the flops ?
defence are solid
Midfield Kelly and Doyle no issues
the question marks are around Vincenti/ McNulty and Biamou

However I still think come the end of the season we will have at least 2 of them who we would have been happy with

Users who are viewing this thread