Pressley At Squirrel Video (1 Viewer)

ashbyjan

For those who couldn't join the more than 100 who came the Sky Blue Trust open meeting with Stephen Pressley there is now a highlights video available on the Trust website: http://www.skybluetrust.co.uk/

Wonders of modern technology! - We wanted to do a live videocast but licence issues and time were against us but hopefully next time we will manage it.

Delboycov

I must admit I've got a little bit more faith in him now than I had before I watched this. Spoke very well and passionately and probably most importantly sounds like he's prepared to roll his sleeves up and put the work and time in to turn our fortunes around. Well done to the SBT for getting him there...

torchomatic

Yes, he came across very well. Both NLHWC and I were very impressed with him. If The Hoff And Mr C take over then I hope they keep Pressley on. He deserves a good go at it, I think.

psgm1

Banned
I thought Pressley came across really well in that. Cheers for sharing it.

Clearly we interpret what he said completely differently.

Seems to be talking the talk, but is NOT walking the walk. Cannot envision him being at the club very long

SkyBlueRuffian

Agree with the above posts, he and McFarlane spoke very well and made a lot of sense. The man needs time if he wants to implement his ideas of having all the different youth and first team squads pulling in the same direction.

I've read plenty of negative comments on here about Pressley already, but they've had crap thrown at them since they've arrived, transfer embargo, the points deduction plus our top scorer getting injured, and he's correct in saying this has had a negative affect on the players, which is totally understandable. He needs a full Pre-season to get the players he requires in and the deadwood out etc and then maybe he can be judged.

Lets just pray the off-field situation is resolved asap.

Last edited:

stupot07

I also thought he spoke sense, in particular:

1) the need of a footballing blueprint of how we will play with and without the ball.
2) that to be replicated at both u21's and u18's to enhance continuity between the 3 teams and emphasising the importance of the academy.
3) need of a recruitment strategy both for first team and youngsters to fit into that blueprint.
4) the need to concede less and keep more clean sheets
5) acknowledging the lack of cutting edge/possession in the final third
6) acknowledge the need to inject more pace in the side
7) acknowledging the need of a proper number 10 to make the system work
8) acknowledging we lack physicality, especially against direct teams
9) acknowledging we lack leaders on the pitch.
10) cutting the playing squad down from 34 to 24, which should increase quality of the squad....although that group of 24 will also contain the younger players too old for the u18s such as Wilson, Daniels, etc
11) lack of goals from all areas of the pitch not relying on mcgoldrick/Clarke and baker.

My worry is expectations of our fans, and that they won't have the patience to allow this to happen, as it won't happen over night.

I have been critical of the football we've played under him, but now hearing his 2-3 year plan, I will be far more understanding.

Last edited:

Godiva

I also thought he spoke sense, in particular:

1) the need of a footballing blueprint of how we will play with and without the ball.
2) that to be replicated at both u21's and u18's to enhance continuity between the 3 teams and emphasising the importance of the academy.
3) need of a recruitment strategy both for first team and youngsters to fit into that blueprint.

Which is exactly what I was shot down for saying a couple of years ago (sorry couldn't search the post that far back).
Anyway - I also said that managers and coaches should be drafted on their experience with similar blueprints (systems) to avoid a new manager implementing a different style of play and requiring 11 new players to fit his style.

ajsccfc

It's the sort of thing you'd imagine all clubs would want to attain. I remember seeing Ajax moving into all their new facilities and one of the things stressed was that the kids are coached in the same philosophy as the senior players to make the step up the ladder as natural and seamless as possible.

stupot07

Which is exactly what I was shot down for saying a couple of years ago (sorry couldn't search the post that far back).
Anyway - I also said that managers and coaches should be drafted on their experience with similar blueprints (systems) to avoid a new manager implementing a different style of play and requiring 11 new players to fit his style.

Yep, i remember. Just look at Swansea - every lauds Rodgers for ther success but it was actually started by kenny jackett, then built upon by Martinez, Sousa, Rodger and now laudrup.

Delboycov

I remember your 'football charter' Godiva and whilst it was good in principle I do recall you were suggesting that we played exactly the same way for evermore and there was a statute put into the club's constitution that would mean we were only allowed to play one way till the end of time. We could only sign players who could play one way and managers would be sacked if they veered from that. Sorry but that just isn't feasable..football like everything evolves and you have to adapt to who you're playing. Some of my favourite players have been those that have been able to deliver a crunching tackle but weren't necessarily those that were the most technically gifted but were great to watch. To suggest as you did that I will never see such players in Sky Blue ever again isn't one that appeals. Definitely agree with Pressley's philosophy on this but don't pretend you said the same thing. The general message of it maybe but you went too far. Recall it was at the same time you were hailing text a sub as a fantastic idea...

Also when you refused to even consider the possibilty of us getting relegated as we were about to break even and were in such good hands with SISU and you shot people down and laughed at them for even wanting to discuss the crap that was happening to the club in preference to discussing your far more important 'charter'. "We're in no danger of getting relegated let's discuss my Football charter instead" We were relegated by the way just in case you weren't aware*

Last edited:

Godiva

I remember your 'football charter' Godiva and whilst it was good in principle I do recall you were suggesting that we played exactly the same way for evermore and there was a statute put into the club's constitution that would mean we were only allowed to play one way till the end of time. We could only sign players who could play one way and managers would be sacked if they veered from that. Sorry but that just isn't feasable..football like everything evolves and you have to adapt to who you're playing. Some of my favourite players have been those that have been able to deliver a crunching tackle but weren't necessarily those that were the most technically gifted but were great to watch. To suggest as you did that I will never see such players in Sky Blue ever again isn't one that appeals. Definitely agree with Pressley's philosophy on this but don't pretend you said the same thing. The general message of it maybe but you went too far. Recall it was at the same time you were hailing text a sub as a fantastic idea...

No, I never said much of what you think I did. Too bad I can't find the post!
What I did say is there should be a description of desired attributes a player should have to fill a certain position. A CM/DCM could very well be a 'Dennis Wise' type.
We have been screaming for pace on the wings for ages - it should be a key attribute for any player we draft to play on the flanks.

The point is that we are often signing players who either don't fit in the system (didn't SP mention this about Cody?) or don't have the key attributes required to play in his favoured position.
There's a lot more to it than just playing 4-4-2 or 4-5-1. Should we play hoofball or passing it on the ground. Hoofball requires a Dublin or Hartson type forward. Passing requires a more pacey and technical gifted player like Keen or Huckerby.

Once a blueprint has been established it will take a few years to get the right players, but from that point we should never again hear a new manager say a certain player does not fit (or benefit) from the system or type of play.

One thing you mention I do belive I wrote - With a blueprint we should never be too concerned about how the opposition play, but merely concentrate on getting our own play to work.

torchomatic

Makes sense to me, G.

Delboycov

It wasn't on here Godiva it was on GMK and yes you did say pretty much everything I said...I remember it clearly as your attitude at the time annoyed me...CCFC was burning and you weren't concerned as you trusted our esteemed owners so much and preferred to talk about this than question what the hell they were doing to our club. My reply was almost exactly the same as above. Funnily enough I thought your idea was pretty good but you went too far for the reasons I gave above....

Godiva

I did post my thoughts on both sites. First on GMK I think - a few weeks later on here.
It was shot down both places btw.

I seem to remember it was about the time KD was appointed Football Director and it made sense to me that it should be a person in that position who speerheaded a project putting together a blueprint.
Unfortunately KD would rather spend his time on the bench.

Oh and for the n'th time ... I don't speak up for sisu (or any other owner), but as I am an experienced CEO who have dealt with all sorts of investors - including hedge funds - I try to explain their actions as I understand them. Sometimes even sisu does the right thing - for instance refuse to keep allowing overspending - and I will openly support them when they do.
Most people don't understand how work and responsibillity is distributed between shareholders, the board, the CEO and the rest of the organisation. So sometimes(!) people blame the wrong people.

Delboycov

I did post my thoughts on both sites. First on GMK I think - a few weeks later on here.
It was shot down both places btw.

I seem to remember it was about the time KD was appointed Football Director and it made sense to me that it should be a person in that position who speerheaded a project putting together a blueprint.
Unfortunately KD would rather spend his time on the bench.

Oh and for the n'th time ... I don't speak up for sisu (or any other owner), but as I am an experienced CEO who have dealt with all sorts of investors - including hedge funds - I try to explain their actions as I understand them. Sometimes even sisu does the right thing - for instance refuse to keep allowing overspending - and I will openly support them when they do.
Most people don't understand how work and responsibillity is distributed between shareholders, the board, the CEO and the rest of the organisation. So sometimes(!) people blame the wrong people.

It's your inability to question SISU when they've not done the right thing which has always irritated me Godiva ;-)

letsallsingtogether

Has been here only a few weeks sorry but it takes longer then that to put in to practice what you want to do so to say he is not walking the walk is a bit premature
Clearly we interpret what he said completely differently.

Seems to be talking the talk, but is NOT walking the walk. Cannot envision him being at the club very long

Users who are viewing this thread