Pressley: League 1 survival would be 'unbelievable' (1 Viewer)

SlowerThanPlatt

Is it just me who doesn't agree with this? Now I think Pressley's done a good job without much backing but I think regardless of the ten point deduction we should still be in a better position and not in a relegation battle. Or am I overestimating how good our squad is?

Brighton Sky Blue

I want us to stick with Pressley as we need stability and he showed in the first half of the season that he has it in him to motivate and it can take a couple of seasons to get things right. But is it me after reading his "unbelievable" comment that it comes over a bit embarrassing and a bit over the top ?

I would agree with him if he was talking about a top 6 finish-staying up, though?

italiahorse

Is it just me who doesn't agree with this? Now I think Pressley's done a good job without much backing but I think regardless of the ten point deduction we should still be in a better position and not in a relegation battle. Or am I overestimating how good our squad is?

If we could have kept Clarke and our pre xmas form we would be promoted.

_brian_

"Unbelievable, Jeff"!!! You've got to LOL everytime Chris Kamara screams those words on Soccer Saturday!!!

Brighton Sky Blue

"Unbelievable, Jeff"!!! You've got to LOL everytime Chris Kamara screams those words on Soccer Saturday!!!

I quite liked Rafa Benitez' attempt at saying 'unbelievable' as many times as humanly possible in a TV interview when he was Liverpool manager.

ajsccfc

We were pretty heavily being tipped to go down with the deduction. Add in the bizarre rotation of players we've had and it's a fair achievement.

Brighton Sky Blue

We were pretty heavily being tipped to go down with the deduction. Add in the bizarre rotation of players we've had and it's a fair achievement.

True, but treating it the same way you would as winning the league to me seems excessive. Staying in League 1 should not be cause for celebration, in my book.

larry_david

1/2 to go down at the start of the season. If you think though, since the end of Jan we've won what, 4 matches? And we'd still be 9th without the points deduction, just shows how strong we were the first 5 months of the season, and how catastrophically garbage we've been since that Crawley 2-0 to 2-2 in 1 min match.

mds

Unbeleivable would describe the difference in the two halves of this season.

Brighton Sky Blue

1/2 to go down at the start of the season. If you think though, since the end of Jan we've won what, 4 matches? And we'd still be 9th without the points deduction, just shows how strong we were the first 5 months of the season, and how catastrophically garbage we've been since that Crawley 2-0 to 2-2 in 1 min match.

Indeed. I'm sure most of us are thinking 'end the season already' rather than 'what a fantastic achievement'. Not criticising Pressley for his enthusiasm but he's got to reserve praise for when it's genuinely deserved.

Terry Gibson's perm

If he adds the 10 points back on we are still only eighth and still 39 points off Wolves, 30 off Brentford and 10 off the play offs. I feel he has done an ok job in tricky circumstances but think that this squad would get us relegated next year and the owners will only weaken it so it will be a long tough season. Most of the problems he has had to face have been caused by his bosses.

zigojacko

Based on our current form, I can't see anything coming from the Wolves and Sheff Utd games so in that sense it would be unbelievable if we stay up based on our current scenario. I just hope we can turn things around significantly in the last two games or that everyone else around us loses!

Skyblue4u

It will be a great achievement but the season could have gone so much better had he stayed injury free and not sold our star striker. As far as I'm concerned the jury is still out on elvis after the team bombed the 2nd half of the season. I'm not suggesting for a minute he get rid but it will be interesting next season if we have a bad start

ollyservetta

with the deduction being wiped out by November id say we hav had an unbelievable 1st 3rd of the season and an absolute terrible 2 3rds .its an entertainment sport and other than the odd spell here and there we just hav not done that since December .I know we hav had a turn over of loan players and Clarke going ,well I wont say it didn't help as he could of become more trouble if he stayed, but we still should have done better as we proved we could play a lot better and be entertaining. some results that have gone for us hav kept us up ,well up till now at least .the last two wins came from terrible games ,plus a certain draw was as lucky as .yep ,hats of ,you set your stall out and get results but if you don't entertain and give the support something to sing about, well we are going only one way.

chiefdave

At the start of the season I thought we'd be in for a relegation battle and would do well to stay up. Having said that to have wiped off the deficit so quickly and been where we were at Xmas there's no way we should be in this situation now. Play-offs were always going to be a long shot to say the least but we should be comfortably safe by now.

ajsccfc

True, but treating it the same way you would as winning the league to me seems excessive. Staying in League 1 should not be cause for celebration, in my book.

I'd be surprised if he's really doing any of that to be honest. It's fair to say he's defied the odds which I think is where unbelievable comes in, rather than any real enthusiastic exclamation.

We've tailed off dramatically, but with the revolving door of players and all the horrible sideshow distractions it's not too surprising.

Brighton Sky Blue

I'd be surprised if he's really doing any of that to be honest. It's fair to say he's defied the odds which I think is where unbelievable comes in, rather than any real enthusiastic exclamation.

We've tailed off dramatically, but with the revolving door of players and all the horrible sideshow distractions it's not too surprising.

He does have a penchant for playing up anything positive to the extreme, but fair enough. In the context of finishing just above the League 1 relegation zone I found it a strange thing to be saying.

ajsccfc

I think he acknowledges it somewhat at the end of the article with "I know everyone got excited when we had that terrific period but I said from the start if we survive it would take a lot to beat that" as if he knew that the form would tail off. He's prepared for the worst, he's found his rightful home!

Houdi

The biggest worry for me is that seemingly most of his loan signings have ranged from mediocre to poor, and the few 'permanent' signings haven't actually been overly successful. The 'stars' of this season, Wilson/Murphy/Moussa/L Clarke were already at the club when Pressley joined, if some or all of these leave, you have to worry at what will be brought in either on loan or on frees.
Without going to Sixfields it is hard to give a proper or reasonable judgement, but no one seems to be waxing lyrical about any of the players he has bought in and there have been quite a few.

Brighton Sky Blue

I think he acknowledges it somewhat at the end of the article with "I know everyone got excited when we had that terrific period but I said from the start if we survive it would take a lot to beat that" as if he knew that the form would tail off. He's prepared for the worst, he's found his rightful home!

Can't argue with that!

James Smith

I can see what he's getting at and why he's saying it. Basically we had a good patch which caused people to think we were only going to go up the table. The fact that he's managed to deal with the loss of players especially Leon Clarke and transfer embargoes speaks volumes about how much he's had to overcome and what he's achieved. I hope he's given a long run to get us back to where we belong.

SkyBlue_Bear83

Presley style seems to be building up our squad and over praise when we are playing shit

When we we playing well and confident he becomes more critical of the team

Quote "the club were forced to leave their Ricoh Arena stadium following a row over unpaid rent"

(Tin hat on) - No they were not - the owners moved them for their own reasons :facepalm:

SBT

There were some pretty apocalyptic predictions during the administration/points deduction saga about where we would end up, and we've certainly exceeded those expectations. I have to say I feared the worst looking at the average age of our squad, and seeing some of the pre-season performances, but we've done well to stay more or less competitive throughout the season as a whole. Not quite sure though where hailing this season as "unbelievable" fits into Pressley's supposed philosophy of breeding a successful mindset though. As Micky Adams said almost exactly nine years ago, this is not success.

mds

Did the young squad overperform early on? Is there a chance with a couple of good signings and the youngsters having a season to adapt to Pressleys ways that we might be better, stronger next season? Its all doom and gloom, and the future of the club may be desperate, is there no hope at all?

stupot07

I think after the good start to the season, we've all overestimated how good the squad is to some degree.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

RoboCCFC90

Baring in mind:

- A ten point deductrion.
- No summer signings
- 53% of the First team squad during the opening game were of Academy players.
- No support in numbers from 'home' crowds

When you pack all this in together it was always going to be difficult and added on top of that we sold one of our key strikers to the league leaders, avoiding relegation was always the aim this season and with everything that was against the Manager and the players it has to be said that they have pulled off wonders. Now in the summer (hopefully) we can build a strong squad and go again next season and aim for the play offs.

TheSnoz

It is the worst season in the club's history by a country mile.
How else could you possibly describe it. Few of us have seen more than a handful of away games.
Simply awful.
I really feel for the manager. Having to work in such circumstances. Had we played in Coventry I've a feeling we would be celebrating promotion now. So many things would have been changed.
Our owners bound, gagged, blindfolded and chopped the legs off Pressley. Well done for putting up with them I say.

Astute

I can see what he's getting at and why he's saying it. Basically we had a good patch which caused people to think we were only going to go up the table. The fact that he's managed to deal with the loss of players especially Leon Clarke and transfer embargoes speaks volumes about how much he's had to overcome and what he's achieved. I hope he's given a long run to get us back to where we belong.

How well did he manage the loss of Clarke? It looks like we would have been relegated weeks ago if we didn't have him for the first half of the season.

Users who are viewing this thread