Pressley lines up Kris Boyd in summer swoop (1 Viewer)

AFCCOVENTRY

Coventry City line-up summer swoop for Kilmarnock striker Kris Boyd
13 February 2014 08:01 AM By Keith Jackson
SKY Blues boss Steven Pressley wants to hand the former Rangers and Middlesbrough frontman, who has hit 15 goals this season, a return to English football.

Kris Boyd celebrates a late winner against St Mirren
COVENTRY boss Steven Pressley is set to head the queue to offer Kris Boyd one final crack at English football.

Boyd revealed yesterday in an exclusive interview with Record Sport he has set his heart on a big summer move after 18 months resurrecting his career back at first club Kilmarnock.

The 30-year-old has successfully blasted his way back on to the fringes of Gordon Strachan’s Scotland squad after rediscovering his hunger for the game at Rugby Park.

But now Pressley wants to offer Boyd a passage back over the border and is weighing up a summer contract offer.

Record Sport understands Pressley plans to scout Boyd regularly between now and the end of the season – while attempting to lead Coventry out of an insolvency crisis and back towards the second tier of the English game.

The striker left Rangers for Strachan’s Middlesbrough three-and-a-half years ago but failed to hold down a regular starting place when Tony Mowbray took over.

Boyd then enjoyed a happier loan at Nottingham Forest before quitting Britain for ill-fated stints in Turkey and the USA.

RoboCCFC90

Has a proven pedigree for sure.

RoboCCFC90

Could do with him now, with a view to a permanent move in the summer.

He won't leave Killmarnock until the end of the season now.

Captain Dart

Rather early for summer transfer stories, is it because no one else is coming in this season?

Might be the same reason SP said he though play-offs out of reach this season..

No money left, the bottom of the barrel has been scraped.

RoboCCFC90

Decent record in Scotland:

Killmarnock

Played: 184
Scored: 81

Rangers

Played: 143
Scored: 127

His spell at Boro isn't that impressive but was decent in a short loan spell with Notts Forest where he scored 6 in 10.

RoboCCFC90

Rather early for summer transfer stories, is it because no one else is coming in this season?

Might be the same reason SP said he though play-offs out of reach this season..

No money left, the bottom of the barrel has been scraped.

If Pressley can get Boyd to find form (should he bring him in) he'd be decent at this level no doubt about it, his record speaks for itself.

tisza

Keywords are " set his heart on a big summer move " - not sure that's us anymore!

Skyblueweeman

Yes, yes and yes. This boy is class and can score goals for fun in the right team and with the right management. If SP pulls this off in the summer, I'm lumping on for promotion next season. A bit over the top? Maybe, but this would be the most exciting signing for years if we could get him...proven goalscorer, not totally over the hill.

League One could a playground for him.

Just as important though is to tie up Murphy and particularly Moussa contracts.

WM

skybluepm2

I just can't see there being any truth in this (as much as I hope there is). I just can't see why he would want to come here ahead of a host of other clubs who I'm sure will be after him.

We just aren't an attractive proposition anymore. Those scavengers haven't given Pressley a penny of the Clarke fee nor the arsenal gate, a couple of measly loans who will no doubt never pull on the sky blue short again come May. Add that to Baker, Moussa, Murphy and Christie all being out of contract and the entire core has been ripped out of the team yet again. No coincidence that they are the top earners at the club who the scum want off the wage bill. A year from now I can see us languishing at the foot of league one, SP having moved on to bigger and better things and we are left being managed by a hoofball merchant (probably someone like graham westley).

Sorry, but today I have just woken up in an almighty pessimistic mood for all things CCFC. There really isn't even the tiniest flicker of light at the end of the tunnel. A mere shell of a once great club. Devastating

Hobo

The summer is a long way off. Not hopeful about this especially now it's gone public.

wingy

Somebody who fits the profile and had been in the back of my mind since Leon requested his move,like the previous two posts I have the same concerns re club policy and if this Is one of the 5 or so considered that we waited on, am a little disappointed we could'nt rustle uo circa £200K. for a player who's current club are financially troubled with low gates and on the verge of fan ownership,then I looked in the mirror.

Ashdown1

Now it's 'exposed' there will be competition and he'll go elsewhere. Besides I prefer SP's previous policy of looking at blooding keen and inexpensive talented young players.

edgy

The Scottish press were right with McGeouch. Let's hope they are right again, I reckon Boyd would be a good addition. We need some old(er) heads in now.

Skyblueweeman

I just can't see there being any truth in this (as much as I hope there is). I just can't see why he would want to come here ahead of a host of other clubs who I'm sure will be after him.

We just aren't an attractive proposition anymore. Those scavengers haven't given Pressley a penny of the Clarke fee nor the arsenal gate, a couple of measly loans who will no doubt never pull on the sky blue short again come May. Add that to Baker, Moussa, Murphy and Christie all being out of contract and the entire core has been ripped out of the team yet again. No coincidence that they are the top earners at the club who the scum want off the wage bill. A year from now I can see us languishing at the foot of league one, SP having moved on to bigger and better things and we are left being managed by a hoofball merchant (probably someone like graham westley).

Sorry, but today I have just woken up in an almighty pessimistic mood for all things CCFC. There really isn't even the tiniest flicker of light at the end of the tunnel. A mere shell of a once great club. Devastating

I agree with the bit about us not being a great proposition, spot on with that. But how do you know Pressleys not been given any money from Clarke/Arsenal? Not spending money in a week, doesn't translate to not having any. It's obvious that that could be the case but not definite.

WM

NorthernWisdom

I agree with the bit about us not being a great proposition, spot on with that. But how do you know Pressleys not been given any money from Clarke/Arsenal? Not spending money in a week, doesn't translate to not having any. It's obvious that that could be the case but not definite.

Rangers link too, they played together.

And not to piss on anybody's bonfire, but his career's been based on being in the right place to finish chances, not on being the most dedicated pro, so as he gets older he probably looks less attractive to higher level clubs. Kilmarnock ain't exactly everyone's dream, after all.

Manchester_sky_blue

I think we will see a lot of this kind of reporting from North of the border now. Pressley is quite a big name up there now, his excellent work with us has only increased that so now, whenever the Record are having a slow news day sportswise it becomes an easy story to link a popular Scottish player with a move to Cov.

skybluepm2

The Scottish press were right with McGeouch. Let's hope they are right again, I reckon Boyd would be a good addition. We need some old(er) heads in now.

Very true Edgy, there is probably some truth in it to be honest although spouting it off at such an early stage has probably dashed our hopes of luring him in :rolleyes:

torchomatic

Looking at those stats his record SHOUTS for itself.

If Pressley can get Boyd to find form (should he bring him in) he'd be decent at this level no doubt about it, his record speaks for itself.

skybluepm2

WM

Just speculating Weeman, there is no evidence to suggest either way but I would hazard a guess that it shan't be reinvested into the team or pay a season or 2's rent at the Ricoh god forbid! Just going on past experience, Turner, Dann, Fox, Juke.....where has it all gone? Certainly not on transfer fees.

With a bit of nous, the idiots would bite the bullet, head back to the Ricoh as tenants whilst they invest the money they are currently haemorrhaging at that dump to ensure that promotion to League 1 is a certainty, just look what SP has done on the peanuts he has been given! Prize assetts being given 18 month contracts are also coming back to bite them on the arse. It is just beyond ludicrous. £5m would get back to back promotions or certainly close to it. The amount they have probably lost this season alone at that shed added to needless legal fees.

If Seppalla wants to recoup the money she has so far lost there are far better means of doing so than the current doomsday scenario.

PUSB

I'd take him in a heartbeat. Quality finisher of the highest level - and will rattle in loads of goals if given the service. Has a similar languid style to Leon. Don't expect him to run around all day.

I think he'd do well in our set-up in League 1.

Hope this happens.

C

Coundon52

Laziest player I've ever seen.He was thrown out by Portland Timbers because he wouldn't move for the ball.It had to be right to his feet, or he wasn't interested.If he's got his motivation back, then he has to be worth a go, but give him a low salary with lots of performance incentives.

Users who are viewing this thread