Match Thread Preston V City - Tue 28th Feb - 19:45 (3 Viewers)

Astute

Gyokeres was well marked last night. It gave space for the others. Once Allen went off our game going forward changed. We were second to nearly every loose ball. They had nearly every run covered. But there was a few times we had a player in space running forward that didn't get noticed/not passed to.

We did have one moment in the first half where Gyokeres was on the right hand side of the box and all alone. Can't remember who the player was but it would have been an easy pass. He decided to run at the defenders. Gyokeres was irate. Spent at least 10 seconds having a go at him and pointing exactly where the ball should have been played. Would have been a 1v1 with the keeper.

Went for a kebab after the game. Had a chat with several Preston supporters. Best they have played for weeks. Most noise at their ground for ages. They all expected to lose so very happy with the point. The biggest praise was for McFadz. Did nothing special but always there. The only player we had picking up loose balls constantly.

A game of two sides that were useless in front of goal. A fair result.

Sky Blue Pete

So unlucky with the volley Jamie Allen!

The injuries are no surprise and they are completely down to fatigue. I hope king mark learns that you can’t keep playing the same players 90 mins every game without consequence

jordan210

Our shooting is awful.

Allen is good at hitting the ball when it comes to him side on. But apart from Hammer and maybe Doyle we struggle to actually strike the ball.

Otis

So unlucky with the volley Jamie Allen!

The injuries are no surprise and they are completely down to fatigue. I hope king mark learns that you can’t keep playing the same players 90 mins every game without consequence
I think he feels he has little other choice

SBAndy

Proper niche call, but can someone tell Hamer not to shoot from drop balls? It wouldn’t count so an absolute waste.

Frostie

Proper niche call, but can someone tell Hamer not to shoot from drop balls? It wouldn’t count so an absolute waste.
No reason that should have been a drop ball anyway, another odd decision. I imagine PNE would have been fuming had he scored.

Frostie

Wasn't that one a drop ball because it hit the ref?
Yes but we retained possession, doesn't need to stop the game unless we have gained a significant advantage from it. He actually gave us a more promising position although, as @SBAndy says you can't score direct from a drop ball anyway. Had it have deflected in or something though the ref would have had egg on his face.

Frostie

I always thought the ref was for all intents and purposes part of the plying field?
If by hitting him possession turns over or by hitting him the attacking team gets a promising attack then you give a drop ball. In that instance last night there was no need, Hamer basically played a 1-2 with him.

fernandopartridge

If by hitting him possession turns over or by hitting him the attacking team gets a promising attack then you give a drop ball. In that instance last night there was no need, Hamer basically played a 1-2 with him.

He was in a very poor position at the time, I was fucking livid that he got in the way of an obvious pass

Brighton Sky Blue

Yeah yok been very badly treated by refs last few weeks and he’s got away with clear dissent over the last 9-10 games
No surprise the ref booked him last night

He’d be well advised to stop berating his own teammates. It’s not like he always makes the right decision with the ball or even executes it when he does. Particularly with Cuffey and JWE they’re just rookies, not getting it wrong on purpose.

jordan210

Fair play to the Preston defender who marked Vik out the game. Probs best defence iv seen against him.

VIs is such a talent but when things are not working for him he shows it and makes it easy for defenders to get close to him. His outbursts to BNC showed that.

Hertsccfc

He’d be well advised to stop berating his own teammates. It’s not like he always makes the right decision with the ball or even executes it when he does. Particularly with Cuffey and JWE they’re just rookies, not getting it wrong on purpose.
Some time next season he is going to go through a lean spell in the Premier League and will get this treatment from an experienced Premier League player.

It would have been fine for him to make his point about the quality of the pass but to carry on like he did was really poor. It's a team game.

DazzleTommyDazzle

Yes but we retained possession, doesn't need to stop the game unless we have gained a significant advantage from it. He actually gave us a more promising position although, as @SBAndy says you can't score direct from a drop ball anyway. Had it have deflected in or something though the ref would have had egg on his face.
I'm pretty sure that they changed the rules last summer or the one before, so that if the ball hits the ref the game has to be stopped and restarted by a drop ball.

shmmeee

Nothing makes me feel old more than realising I don’t know the rules to my favourite sport any more 😂

Astute

Last night was a right ear bashing. We felt as we could hear it.

But until I read your comment I hadn't considered the previous times. They may be rookies. But if they keep getting it wrong they won't improve. Most probably would have been a goal if Gyokeres got the pass. If he has told them a few times already then they need a stern reminder. Hopefully they will start to listen.

Gyokeres is a winner. He always wants to win and always gives 100%. Wouldn't want to risk changing anything.

edgy

I'm pretty sure that they changed the rules last summer or the one before, so that if the ball hits the ref the game has to be stopped and restarted by a drop ball.

It did. The rule is now basically to stop play if the ball strikes the ref and it gives advantage to either team. Last night the ricochet or subsequent pass (cant remember) put our player through on goal. It had to be stopped. Annoying as it it.

99 times out of 100, refs will now stop play regardless. Easier to do that then face the backlash if a goal goes in afterwards.

Hertsccfc

Last night was a right ear bashing. We felt as we could hear it.

But until I read your comment I hadn't considered the previous times. They may be rookies. But if they keep getting it wrong they won't improve. Most probably would have been a goal if Gyokeres got the pass. If he has told them a few times already then they need a stern reminder. Hopefully they will start to listen.

Gyokeres is a winner. He always wants to win and always gives 100%. Wouldn't want to risk changing anything.
Sorry but this is nonsense and is a bit like that poster who was saying we should boo our own players. Experienced players should be helping the inexperienced ones not humiliating them.

And it was not likely to produce a goal. It was on the far edge of the box and Gyokeres was running away from goal. There was plenty of cover.

fernandopartridge

Sorry but this is nonsense and is a bit like that poster who was saying we should boo our own players. Experienced players should be helping the inexperienced ones not humiliating them.

And it was not likely to produce a goal. It was on the far edge of the box and Gyokeres was running away from goal. There was plenty of cover.

It's not humiliating them - players calling each other out happens. Have you ever watched Ronaldo? It's over a number of games now that Cuffy either fails to entirely or poorly executes a pass for Gyokeres, I'm not surprised he's pissed off.

Grendel

I’d be pissed off if someone I worked worth produced rubbish every week and is getting paid for it

Users who are viewing this thread