Professional beggars in town (1 Viewer)

dancers lance

Popped into town today and decided to go for a few ales (post Xmas present shopping) I got talking to a couple of homeless lads that are sleeping under the canopy opposite the council house, genuine people down on their look so, I gave them a few quid. They told me that there are loads of professional beggars in Cov now and they are taking the piss and making people think they are the same.

Anyway, I was stood outside the Earl Of Mercia and within 20 minutes we had 3 blokes and a girl walk up to us asking for money, all told the same bullshit story, I lost my shit with the last lad and told him to fuck off. I bloke stood near us came over and said they do it all the time, none of them are homeless and they work together, fucking horrible creatures.

Otis

The Telegraph have been conducting a campaign for people to help the homeless. Could well be these scum have picked up on that and see easy money.

Feel so sorry for those who ARE genuine. This can only hurt them and prevent them getting the help they need.

I do sometimes give money to the homeless. This will obviously make me think twice. Hard to ascertain who is genuine at times.

The other day I gave someone a pound and a lady behind me gave the same person a fiver. I'm sure the person WAS genuine, but you can't always be certain.

dancers lance

The Telegraph have been conducting a campaign for people to help the homeless. Could well be these scum have picked up on that and see easy money.

Feel so sorry for those who ARE genuine. This can only hurt them and prevent them getting the help they need.

I do sometimes give money to the homeless. This will obviously make me think twice. Hard to ascertain who is genuine at times.

The other day I gave someone a pound and a lady behind me gave the same person a fiver. I'm sure the person WAS genuine, but you can't always be certain.
That's the thing Otis, I will always give (if I can) to a person in need, but these people will put me (and many others) off, they are making an already shit situation for genuine people even worse, wankers.

Grendel

Ask them if they need food and offer to buy them a sandwich and some soup. Always gets an interesting response.

Sky_Blue_Daz

I never give money, but last year I bought a chap sleeping rough near cosmo some gloves a hat and 3 pairs of socks.But I kept the receipt
Was in town Friday and there was a fella sleeping rough in the subway by the gatehouse pub as I walked by, on the way back I got him a sandwich a drink and a chocolate bar.

I would rather do that then give cards out at work

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

Popped into town today and decided to go for a few ales (post Xmas present shopping) I got talking to a couple of homeless lads that are sleeping under the canopy opposite the council house, genuine people down on their look so, I gave them a few quid. They told me that there are loads of professional beggars in Cov now and they are taking the piss and making people think they are the same.

Anyway, I was stood outside the Earl Of Mercia and within 20 minutes we had 3 blokes and a girl walk up to us asking for money, all told the same bullshit story, I lost my shit with the last lad and told him to fuck off. I bloke stood near us came over and said they do it all the time, none of them are homeless and they work together, fucking horrible creatures.

Those lads opposite the council house I haven't seen for a few weeks, usually 3 of them on a big mattress that they prop up during the day. Like you say they're genuine but so many chancers, I usually take a look at their footwear, was a lad outside the falafel place ny Broadgate a couple of weeks back with a brand new pair of Nike trainers on, he looked too well kept and another a bit further down a week later I saw with an iPhone.....maybe he was genuine but certainly didn't sit well with me compared to the lads opposite the council house etc

dancers lance

I never give money, but last year I bought a chap sleeping rough near cosmo some gloves a hat and 3 pairs of socks.But I kept the receipt
Was in town Friday and there was a fella sleeping rough in the subway by the gatehouse pub as I walked by, on the way back I got him a sandwich a drink and a chocolate bar.

I would rather do that then give cards out at work
I have also asked people what I can buy them that they need and given food, drinks etc. Iv'e also taken a few people into shops so they can get a few bits. I get a hard time from friends and family sometimes when I give people cash, they say the will only spend that money on drink and drugs, I just say "what did think I was going to spend it on?"

dancers lance

Those lads opposite the council house I haven't seen for a few weeks, usually 3 of them on a big mattress that they prop up during the day. Like you say they're genuine but so many chancers, I usually take a look at their footwear, was a lad outside the falafel place ny Broadgate a couple of weeks back with a brand new pair of Nike trainers on, he looked too well kept and another a bit further down a week later I saw with an iPhone.....maybe he was genuine but certainly didn't sit well with me compared to the lads opposite the council house etc
I think It's the same chaps, no mattress anymore, just sitting on the wall with a dirty quilt.

Gazolba

Ask them if they need food and offer to buy them a sandwich and some soup. Always gets an interesting response.
I once saw someone give a homeless person a sandwich, after she had walked off thinking she had done a good deed, he threw it in the trash.

dancers lance

I once saw someone give a homeless person a sandwich, after she had walked off thinking she had done a good deed, he threw it in the trash.
I'm sure that does happen and that's the point of this thread, actions like that are making people think twice before helping someone, someone that is genuinely in need and in danger.

clint van damme

give to a local homeless charity. They know who the genuine cases are and how best to use the money.

Sick Boy

I know for a fact that homeless charities tend to give homeless people basic mobile phones with credit to keep in touch and for them to report being attacked.

Grendel

Yep. Seen it before. Some don't want food they want money.

Very telling.

Once there was this Eastern European guy who was begging and said he was conned to come to this country had no food and nowhere to live. To be fair he looked a mess and said he needed £20 to get some board in a hostel for a night and to be able to call home and lget help. He’d not exactly got a lot of money. I had a fiver so I gave it him. It still played on my mind when I got home so I actually got another tenner drove back (it was nearly midnight) and found him and gave him the ten pounds. He said he was still £2 short and started swearing at me and saying I was a bastard for not giving him the rest he needed. That is the end of my philanthropy towards human kind.

dancers lance

I know for a fact that homeless charities tend to give homeless people basic mobile phones with credit to keep in touch and for them to report being attacked.
You are 100% correct, they tend to give them to younger people and those most vulnerable, FFS though, who is going around attacking these people, what sort of animal would even consider it?

Sick Boy

You are 100% correct, they tend to give them to younger people and those most vulnerable, FFS though, who is going around attacking these people, what sort of animal would even consider it?

Sadly it is regular occurrence. I help out with a young homeless charity down here and have heard of some horrific stories, including people being set on fire, pissed on and kicked in the face while sleeping.

Westendlad

Once there was this Eastern European guy who was begging and said he was conned to come to this country had no food and nowhere to live. To be fair he looked a mess and said he needed £20 to get some board in a hostel for a night and to be able to call home and lget help. He’d not exactly got a lot of money. I had a fiver so I gave it him. It still played on my mind when I got home so I actually got another tenner drove back (it was nearly midnight) and found him and gave him the ten pounds. He said he was still £2 short and started swearing at me and saying I was a bastard for not giving him the rest he needed. That is the end of my philanthropy towards human kind.
Tight bastard :)

Westendlad

Most weekday afternoons a lad sits outside the one stop in Earlsdon Street with his sleeping bag etc.......Was watching him about a year ago whilst waiting for the misses and several people bought him a drink or something to eat then a lady gave him a note....couldn't see how much but as soon as she went into a shop he was up, packed his things and strolled off making a call on his phone. Ten mins later saw him leaning into a car parked in the side road by cov building society....Hmmm wonder what he was buying..

Sick Boy

Most weekday afternoons a lad sits outside the one stop in Earlsdon Street with his sleeping bag etc.......Was watching him about a year ago whilst waiting for the misses and several people bought him a drink or something to eat then a lady gave him a note....couldn't see how much but as soon as she went into a shop he was up, packed his things and strolled off making a call on his phone. Ten mins later saw him leaning into a car parked in the side road by cov building society....Hmmm wonder what he was buying..

A lot of people are homeless due to mental illness and drug addiction. Besides this, I doubt most people could cope long term without succumbing to substance abuse.

Westendlad

A lot of people are homeless due to mental illness and drug addiction. Besides this, I doubt most people could cope long term without succumbing to substance abuse.
Ok fair enough and understand that but people giving money is only making matters worse for the addict (There are plenty of places to help these people) and worse of all lining the dealers pockets.......

Nick

Administrator
You mean he had to get more to pay his boss?

The ones that used to be by the swimming baths were the worst, working in teams and then reporting back to a parked car every so often and swapping over.

I'd happily give if I thought it was going to help, money for clothes and blankets but not when it's going into a needle or to some crime boss.

I had somebody flag my car down the other week, I thought it was an emergency. He asked if i could give him £3 for fuel as he has run out.

Sky_Blue_Daz

There's a woman knocking doors in and around the coundon area asking for £2.50 for bus fare.

covcity4life

There are genuine homeless out there in Coventry as i know from helping out at shelters and public feeds. so if you see one and you can spare money or food etc please do.

clint van damme

There are genuine homeless out there in Coventry as i know from helping out at shelters and public feeds. so if you see one and you can spare money or food etc please do.

aren't they suffering enough without a visit from you!
Just joking mate, fair play to you, do you work for any particular charity, (ignore post of you'd rather not say).

covcity4life

aren't they suffering enough without a visit from you!
Just joking mate, fair play to you, do you work for any particular charity, (ignore post of you'd rather not say).
its with my local sikh temple. they give food to shelters like samaritans and one near the old cov and warwick hospital. and then go into town and give individuals hot food ,crisps,water etc

helps balance the sin of trolling on here i guess!

bringbackrattles

I've mentioned about this on here before. Here in Bell Green it's a daily thing, at least half a dozen asking for money for drink. I like helping people down on their luck, we've all had shitty times. But where do you draw the line ? A mate stopped giving them cash as he said you're adding to their addiction. But on a lighter note a chap who stunk of drink and with the shakes, asked for a quid for a magazine he had in his hand. Obviously he'd nicked it from the newsagents,it was Peppa Pig !
I declined his offer but still gave him a quid. He was straight in the shop for a can !

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

Just been having a wander around the city centre on my usual lunchtime walk 4/5 more than there was last week, you get used to the standard spots most sit or sleep but a few more around that seemed to have a 'genuine' look of being homeless.

Nick

Administrator
Just been having a wander around the city centre on my usual lunchtime walk 4/5 more than there was last week, you get used to the standard spots most sit or sleep but a few more around that seemed to have a 'genuine' look of being homeless.

Did you walk past topshop?

Last time they had built a fortress from boxes and were flat out.

Captain Dart

The genuine homeless are the ones getting up from their sleeping places in shop doorways at 8:00am.

I was staggered to see how many there were a few months back when I rolled up into the City centre before the shops opened one weekend.

Ashdown

Is that bloke still sleeping under the Railway bridge near the Broomfield ? It must have been mighty cold for these people over the last week or so.

Users who are viewing this thread