Pub's now and then. (1 Viewer)

blunted

Who remembers when they sold the steaks there possibly the first pub steak house in Cov, Bernie Inns. Had to queue for ages but worth the wait…Delicious.
Yes I do. Before then used to pop in for an Irish Coffee as a last drink. Can't seem to get them anymore where you drank the coffee and spirit through the cream

CDK

Was doing a gig at the greyhound Fulham palace rd Hammersmith and got to meet the late Dennis Waterman and became good friends with the man.

RedSalmon

Have just got back from Melbourne and was in a pub there minding my own business watching an ARF game on the TV. Two guys came and sat at the same table and introduced themselves (Al and Cal). We got talking and then one of them asked which football team I supported back in the UK. When I told them 'Coventry City', Al (the more talkative of the two ) said "Is that who David Icke used to play for"?
Could not fucking believe it!!!

fernandopartridge

It's funny thinking back to all of the pubs around Highfield Rd (as close to walk to as say the Wheatsheaf now) that you might have drank in on match day:

Sky Blue Tavern / Mercer's
Old Ball
Hastings
Red Horse
Stoke Con Club
Binley Oak
Brewer and Baker
Freehold (when did that close?)
Vauxhall Tavern (before my time)
Gosford Arms
Hertford Arms
Hand & Heart
Beer Engine
Hare & Hounds
Peacock

clint van damme

It's funny thinking back to all of the pubs around Highfield Rd (as close to walk to as say the Wheatsheaf now) that you might have drank in on match day:

Old Ball
Hastings
Red Horse
Stoke Con Club
Binley Oak
Brewer and Baker
Gosford Arms
Hertford Arms
Hand & Heart
Beer Engine
Hare & Hounds
Peacock

You could probably throw the Elastic and the Forresters into the mix as well. There was some selection tochoose from.

slowpoke

They were great days, watching City in the afternoon and the Bees in the evening.
I remember one year the Bees speedway match on a Saturday night coincided with a Wolves home game and Cov fans were going round nicking Wolves scarves galore, my mate got slung in the cells with a few others for the night for having a Wolves scarf

Johhny Blue

Old Ball
Hastings
Red Horse
Stoke Con Club
Binley Oak
Brewer and Baker
Gosford Arms
Hertford Arms
Hand & Heart
Beer Engine
Hare & Hounds
Peacock
Hare and Hounds would be a fair walk to HR. Or are there two?

the rumpo kid

Old Ball
Hastings
Red Horse
Stoke Con Club
Binley Oak
Brewer and Baker
Gosford Arms
Hertford Arms
Hand & Heart
Beer Engine
Hare & Hounds
Peacock
It was the masons on freehold street and harnall lane.
No one mentioned upstair in the silver sword. ( Freemasons)

The Rocket.
Fun and games when the away crew tried to gain access, after coming off their train.
It was a good place for a 'last pint' before getting the train to away games, as well.

Travs

Old Ball
Hastings
Red Horse
Stoke Con Club
Binley Oak
Brewer and Baker
Gosford Arms
Hertford Arms
Hand & Heart
Beer Engine
Hare & Hounds
Peacock

For us it was Flying Standard, Forresters, Brewer & Baker, and possibly one in the Binley Oak.

Remember standing in the garden of the Binley Oak on a gorgeous day before the Derby match, thinking this is the last time i'll ever have a drink here.

We used to call the Forresters "the long & skinny", due to the dimensions of the bar area.

Sick Boy

I went in the Gosford at Christmas for the first time since the HR days - it’s certainly changed a bit. I remember the bouncer on match days was a German Shepherd.

COVKIDSNEVERQUIT

I remember one year the Bees speedway match on a Saturday night coincided with a Wolves home game and Cov fans were going round nicking Wolves scarves galore, my mate got slung in the cells with a few others for the night for having a Wolves scarf

😂🤣😂

Bad Boy

The Elastic first, The Foresters, The Raglan Tavern, Brewer & Baker, The Vauxhall Tavern, Binley Oak and finally City Supporters Club for a pint of piss. 🥴

Users who are viewing this thread