"Realistic" free transfers or signings only (2 Viewers)

WestEndAgro

Get Martin Samuelsen on loan from West Ham looks absolute class.

sw88

Chief Commentator!
FW-Simon Cox, Lee Novak, A Williams
DEF-Sam Hutchinson, J Egan, S Brisley
AMC-Gab Ledesma Harry Chapman
WM-Obika, Dave Worrall, Lee Freclington or Jay O Shea

Any of the above would be good signings and would add to what is needed within the squad.

Isn't Sam Hitchinson another player who's made of brittle bones? Used to be on Chelsea's books then Forest and hardly appeared due to injury?

Chipfat

Isn't Sam Hitchinson another player who's made of brittle bones? Used to be on Chelsea's books then Forest and hardly appeared due to injury?

Yeah but has played 55 times for Wednesday last 2 seasons at a higher level, not saying he is made of rock but good solid player with pedigree and could do a job at RB if he was looked after.

stupot07

Yeah but has played 55 times for Wednesday last 2 seasons at a higher level, not saying he is made of rock but good solid player with pedigree and could do a job at RB if he was looked after.
I would steer well clear of any player that had a poor injury record or needs to be specially "managed/looked after" in order to keep fit. We need players that will play 35-40 games in a season.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

higgs

He would be looking for big wages I'd imagine would rule us out

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

steve82

Graham Carey of Plymouth is causing Portsmouth some trouble in there game tonight. Plays in the 10 and got a eye for goal too, knocking some great balls around

Hadji10

Simon Cox will sign, he was the player who was meant to sign on loan in January but couldn't because of the Maddison loan.

ccfcway

Simon Cox will sign, he was the player who was meant to sign on loan in January but couldn't because of the Maddison loan.

a goal in every 3.5 games in his career

more than 1 in 2 at this level

only 29 years old

it does make sense !

SkyB

I think what we should look at is younger players from bigger teams that are being released. Will be able to get them on a longer contract than a year and may be able to find a diamond out of them and it's likely that they will only get better as time goes on.

Winny the Bish

I think what we should look at is younger players from bigger teams that are being released. Will be able to get them on a longer contract than a year and may be able to find a diamond out of them and it's likely that they will only get better as time goes on.

We did this last year with Lameiras and he showed the good and bad sides of picking up Premier League academy kids. Pros: Excellent technique and vision. Cons: Very lightweight, head drops when he doesn't get the ball and a lack of fight.

Yes, they have talent but it seems they lack the mental characteristics that players coming up from lower leagues do. You need a mix of the two to succeed.

Nick

Administrator
We did this last year with Lameiras and he showed the good and bad sides of picking up Premier League academy kids. Pros: Excellent technique and vision. Cons: Very lightweight, head drops when he doesn't get the ball and a lack of fight.

Yes, they have talent but it seems they lack the mental characteristics that players coming up from lower leagues do. You need a mix of the two to succeed.

To be fair, Lameiras gets stuck in more than some of the bigger players.

SkyBlueCRJ

Jay O'Shea, out of contract at Chesterfield would be a good one, always been impressive when I've seen him play and Lord knows we need some wingers.

Bradden Inman from Crewe - always bloody scores against us, so maybe he could do it for us. 9 goals from midfield this season on an awful Crewe team.

Definitely agree with Brad Inman. Always been a fan of his and out of contract obviously next month. Out and out winger who's skilful and has a good amount of pace. Like you said 9 goals from midfield is an excellent achievement this term considering how poor Crewe were. Jay O'Shea another good player but there are others I would prefer

SkyBlueCRJ

Ajose looks to be leaving Swindon, would be surprised if Mowbray isn't sniffing around again.

Ajose still has another year left running on his contract I believe that has been triggered by the club, Swindon regard him very highly especially with the season he had last year (22 goals) and therefore would command a fee that would be outside out budget considering the amount of players were are realistically going to have to bring in

SkyBlueCRJ

Dan Burn from Fulham? Certainly a dominant centre half. Out of contract and announced to be leaving.

Could be possible, was willing to go out on loan to Sheffield United last year in January however due to injuries at Fulham, he was needed to fill the void. I can imagine he would get a significant amount of interest from lower league championship clubs or those such as Burton/Wigan who are coming up from League One. Would take a lucrative deal to make him want to drop down a league considering he's only 24

SkyBlueCRJ

There is a lot of quality in the free agent pool this year in my opinion and I think is Mowbray plays his cards right and does business efficiently he could bring in a solid squad of players. This is my list that I think would improve the team from last year purely from the released list so far. Few people have mentioned Matt Taylor of Bristol Rovers however it is likely he will go to a championship club considering his record. Leon Clarke signed a 3 year contract in 2015, that would command a fee

RB Jordan Spence - 25 years old (MK Dons)
CB x2 Rhys Bennett - 24 years old (Rochdale) Anthony Kay - 33 years old (MK Dons)
RM Mark Duffy - 30 years old (Birmingham)
LM x2 Brad Inman - 24 years old (Crewe Alexander) Tommy Rowe - 27 years old (Wolves)
CDM Neil Kilkenny - 30 years old (Preston North End)
ST Ismail Miller - 29 years old (Huddersfield)

Last edited by a moderator:

ptr

There is a lot of quality in the free agent pool this year in my opinion and I think is Mowbray plays his cards right and does business efficiently he could bring in a solid squad of players. This is my list that I think would improve the team from last year purely from the released list so far. Few people have mentioned Matt Taylor of Bristol Rovers however it is likely he will go to a championship club considering his record. Leon Clarke signed a 3 year contract in 2015, that would command a fee

GK Anthony Kay - 33 years old (MK Dons)
RB Jordan Spence - 25 years old (MK Dons)
CB Rhys Bennett - 24 years old (Rochdale)
RM Mark Duffy - 30 years old (Birmingham)
LM x2 Brad Inman - 24 years old (Crewe Alexander) Tommy Rowe - 27 years old (Wolves)
CDM Neil Kilkenny - 30 years old (Preston North End)
ST Ismail Miller - 29 years old (Huddersfield)

Anthony Kay is not a goalkeeper, he's a defender. But would still have him ahead of burge.

Out of this would take Duffy and maybe Rowe.

SkyBlueCRJ

Anthony Kay is not a goalkeeper, he's a defender. But would still have him ahead of burge.

Out of this would take Duffy and maybe Rowe.

Hahah sorry had a mind blank there. Interesting you wouldn't take Rhys Bennett. Was wanted by premier league clubs last year. Everton comes to mind I think

no_loyalty

Peterborough CB Gabriel Zakuani released today, could be worth a shot?

skybluegod

Hahah sorry had a mind blank there. Interesting you wouldn't take Rhys Bennett. Was wanted by premier league clubs last year. Everton comes to mind I think

Wait if he was wanted by Premier league clubs last year, why would we stand a chance this year?

stupot07

a goal in every 3.5 games in his career

more than 1 in 2 at this level

only 29 years old

it does make sense !
Looks good until you see that he scored over half his goals in a 2 season period at Swindon 07/08 and 08/09 seasons. Away from Swindon he's scored 44 in 253 apps.

Not writing him off, just find it hard to get too excited by him at this point, could be good but could be another Simeon Jackson, who was a 1 in 2 striker in this league based on historical stats.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Last edited:

SkyBlue_Bear83

Ajose still has another year left running on his contract I believe that has been triggered by the club, Swindon regard him very highly especially with the season he had last year (22 goals) and therefore would command a fee that would be outside out budget considering the amount of players were are realistically going to have to bring in

Swindon manager said they are preparing for him to leave, likely to leave but you are probably right about him commanding a fee we can't afford

SkyBlueCRJ

Swindon manager said they are preparing for him to leave, likely to leave but you are probably right about him commanding a fee we can't afford

Exactly, think he's probably hinted that he wants to go but like I said it'll still require a fee due to the extra year on his contract. No doubt Mowbray has probably enquired about him like he would many players due to the quality that he clearly possesses at this level

SkyBlueCRJ

Wait if he was wanted by Premier league clubs last year, why would we stand a chance this year?

Stranger things have happened. Leicester have just won the Premier League haven't you seen, anything can happen. Nothing wrong with me crossing my fingers that we get a bit of quality in this window ;)

banbury_skyblue

What about Ishmael Miller.
Just been released by Huddersfield. Mogga previously signed him for WBA and Middlesbrough.
Strong and quick, yet has struggled for form in Championship last 2 seasons and thus sounds ready for League 1.

Fingers crossed for Simon Cox too.

Miller, Cox and Jodi Jones would be a fantastic attacking line in this division.

stupot07

Millers got a horrendous goal record for a striker, he's yet to hit 50 goals and he's 29 years old.

he and cox are on their downward spirals of their career, we should be signing people who are on the up. Just because they have failed in the championship doesn't mean they will be fantastic in league one.

Users who are viewing this thread