"Realistic" free transfers or signings only (3 Viewers)

SkyBlue_Bear83

Miller strikes me as a better version of Nouble, wouldn't fancy him as our first choice striker to bang in 20 goals but as our plan B to bring off the bench then sure

Last edited:

SkyBlueCRJ

Miller strikes me as a better version of Nouble, wouldn't fancy him as our first choice striker to bang in 20 goals but as our plan B to ring off the bench then sure

I agree, I thought Miller could be used as a Plan B and a Plan B only. No chance would i want him starting every game by any means but the guy is 6"4 and an obvious presence in the oppositions box. He's also never played in League One which makes me think that he could bag the odd goal if given the opportunity

stupot07

Miller strikes me as a better version of Nouble, wouldn't fancy him as our first choice striker to bang in 20 goals but as our plan B to ring off the bench then sure
Problem is we will have Thomas and Tudguy, the likelihood is we're only going to be bringing 2 strikers in, therefore we need to be looking at better than the likes of Miller. We've got to stop signing players who's careers are on the decline just because we've heard of them.

I agree, I thought Miller could be used as a Plan B and a Plan B only. No chance would i want him starting every game by any means but the guy is 6"4 and an obvious presence in the oppositions box. He's also never played in League One which makes me think that he could bag the odd goal if given the opportunity
If he's only plan b he's hardly going to play and therefore likely to score no more than MAF or Tudguy.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

SkyBlue_Bear83

Problem is we will have Thomas and Tudguy, the likelihood is we're only going to be bringing 2 strikers in, therefore we need to be looking at better than the likes of Miller. We've got to stop signing players who's careers are on the decline just because we've heard of them.
Tudgay for the experience, Thomas for development, youth and energy, Miller as our something different off the bench and then one more signing to be our first choice striker. Could be worse.

If he's only plan b he's hardly going to play and therefore likely to score no more than MAF or Tudguy.

So what we should just stick with having no plan B then because they won't be starting? Doesn't that go against what people have been crying about for the last 3 months?

stupot07

Tudgay for the experience, Thomas for development, youth and energy, Miller as our something different off the bench and then one more signing to be our first choice striker. Could be worse.

So what we should just stick with having no plan B then because they won't be starting? Doesn't that go against what people have been crying about for the last 3 months?

No, never said we shouldn't have a plan b have I? Just that there must be better options out there, preferably one that has a half decent goal record, not a striker that's 29 and not yet hit 50 first team goals yet and not someone who's career is in the decline because we've heard of him. If it was someone like Hansen from Bradford who's proven and knows this league and has a goal and assists in him, and proven to be effective off the bench, I'd be all for signing him. my point is saying Miller would be plan b but you give him some games hell score goals when 1) his career stats say otherwise and 2) if he's plan b he won't get the chance to get a load of games anyway.

How do you know it could be worse? we haven't signed him so its a mute point anyway.

Last edited:

SkyBlue_Bear83

No, never said we shouldn't have a plan b have I? Just that there must be better options out there, preferably one that has a half decent goal record, not a striker that's 29 and not yet hit 50 first team goals yet and not someone who's career is in the decline because we've heard of him. If it was someone like Hansen from Bradford who's proven and knows this league and has a goal and assists in him I'd be all for signing him.

How do you know it could be worse? we haven't signed him so its a mute point anyway.

There are two problems with that, firstly because he is only going to be used sparingly that will reflect in the wage the club are prepared to offer him as most of the resources will go towards the first 11. So players which are more sought after, desirable and proven will be able to get better offers elsewhere where they will be paid more as they are a key player and also be guaranteed more minutes on the pitch.

So if you said to Hanson do you want to come and be our plan B striker, you will sit on the bench mostly and only be used if we want to change style in the match or we are chasing the match and need a goal and we will pay you £1200 a week, he would probably tell you to do one.

I know it could be worse as I had to watch Fortune and Henderson fill the role of our plan B option this season.

SkyBlue_Bear83

Leon Clarke would be cheaper and more effective in this league that Miller
Agree with he is more effective but you don't bring in Clarke as your plan B which is what I said about Miller, I wouldn't mind Miller as our back up option to bring something different off the bench.

If we signed Clarke he would be the main striker and goalscorer who we build the team around.

banbury_skyblue

I completely agree, Millers stats are pretty poor (1 goal every 5 games).

However he has only ever played in top 2 divisions and could very well hit the ground running in L1.

in 2012 I remember loaning an out of form McGoldrick who was yet to play in the third tier - now look at him!

Miller could be the next McGoldrick - who knows!

ccfcway

Agree with he is more effective but you don't bring in Clarke as your plan B which is what I said about Miller, I wouldn't mind Miller as our back up option to bring something different off the bench.

If we signed Clarke he would be the main striker and goalscorer who we build the team around.

but why bring in a plan B for more money than we could sign a Plan A striker for ?

Hobo

As Steven Pressley spotted, Rory Donnelly is a good prospect. 10 in 38 for Gillingham. Shame Swansea sacked their manager on day one of his loan. Fair play to him for doing a u turn so he could try and prove himself to the new manager.

SkyBlue_Bear83

but why bring in a plan B for more money than we could sign a Plan A striker for ?
Obviously we wouldn't, I'm not so sure Miller would cost more than Clarke.

All depends what other clubs are in him for him, if Clarke was available you would imagine half of league 1 would be in for him. Could you really say the same about Miller?

sw88

Chief Commentator!
As Steven Pressley spotted, Rory Donnelly is a good prospect. 10 in 38 for Gillingham. Shame Swansea sacked their manager on day one of his loan. Fair play to him for doing a u turn so he could try and prove himself to the new manager.

Do you really believe that was the reason for him not sticking it out? I'm not so sure, especially as he never left again after the shortest of short term loans ever known to man, despite not coming in favour under the new boss

SkyBlueCRJ

Leon Clarke would be cheaper and more effective in this league that Miller

Cheaper? Do you really think so? Firstly we would have to pay a fee for Clarke and then match or possibly increase the wage that he gets paid by Bury which cannot be lower than 4K a week considering it is unlikely he would've taken a massive drop from his Wolves wage. Miller is a free agent and will have no choice but to reduce whatever he was on at huddersfield due to the fact that it simply has not worked out for him at championship level and will have to seek out league one clubs. Don't doubt whatsoever Clarke would be more effective though.

SkyBlueCRJ

He would be far more effective than MAF and Tudgay seems to have taken the role of a cool head when things are getting tough. He is not plan B. I think he would play if we signed him. Don't forget Armstrong is gone, there is no guaranteed starter therefore theres nothing stopping mowbray telling strikers bought in that the starting spot is there to be filled and those players need to prove themselves to fill it. Think thats what everyone is forgetting. We have George Thomas thats it. We don't even have Tudgay at this point. He may not sign

ccfcway

Cheaper? Do you really think so? Firstly we would have to pay a fee for Clarke and then match or possibly increase the wage that he gets paid by Bury which cannot be lower than 4K a week considering it is unlikely he would've taken a massive drop from his Wolves wage. Miller is a free agent and will have no choice but to reduce whatever he was on at huddersfield due to the fact that it simply has not worked out for him at championship level and will have to seek out league one clubs. Don't doubt whatsoever Clarke would be more effective though.

hmm, well for a start, it might not just be league one clubs

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...merges-transfer-target-Turkish-Sivasspor.html

Also, as you said its unlikely Clarke has taken a reduction in Wolves wages to go to league one, why would Miller ?

SkyBlueCRJ

hmm, well for a start, it might not just be league one clubs

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...merges-transfer-target-Turkish-Sivasspor.html

Also, as you said its unlikely Clarke has taken a reduction in Wolves wages to go to league one, why would Miller ?

Never actually considered clubs outside England coming in for Miller tbh. Same reason why Clarke would have at Bury? Clarke had a poor season at Wolves where his wage would most definitely be in excess of 6K a week and subsequently was forced to drop down a league. It's a choice of a reduction of wages or endure a continuous struggle in finding a club at a higher level. Miller has struggled season after season to find consistency in his goal scoring therefore if he chose to drop down a league, a reduction of wages would come with the package, like anyone dropping from higher leagues to a lower one unless you find a club in that mentioned lower league that is willing to match your wages

Winny the Bish

Potential loan striker - Tammy Abraham from Chelsea. England Under-19 player - which Mowbray seems to look for in loans.
Is 6ft3 and incredibly strong and quick which could be very useful for leading the line as a lone striker. I know we haven't had any Chelsea loanees in a while, but hopefully the success of Armstrong can turn their heads a bit.

SkyBlueCRJ

Possible loanees as it is being bought up:
Brandon Barker: Quick, skilful and has huge potential, highly rated at Man City.
Matt Targett: Southampton winger who has featured for their U21's frequently.
Will Wood: Southampton left sided centre half. Also frequently used in their under 21's and highly rated.
Sullay Kaikai: Winger from Crystal Palace who notched 12 goals in 30 appearances for Shrewsbury last season whilst on loan.
Sam Gallagher: 6"4 centre forward who is ever present in the Southampton under 21's. On loan at MK Dons last season.
Kieran Dowell: Attacking midfielder, highly rated by Everton. Capped for england at numerous youth levels

Last edited by a moderator:

Sky Blue Kid

Leon Clarke? No thanks. Last time he was here, as soon as a Club, waving the folding green stuff in his face came calling, he was off quicker than Road Runner.

chiefdave

Rumours doing the rounds on twitter of an impending fire sale at Norwich due to financial problems. Probably bollocks as its twitter but if true worth a cheeky bid for Murphy?

skybluegod

Rumours doing the rounds on twitter of an impending fire sale at Norwich due to financial problems. Probably bollocks as its twitter but if true worth a cheeky bid for Murphy?
Why would Murphy go? He's one of the one's likely to be on an okay wage for the Championship.

The Reverend Skyblue

How the hell have Norwich got money problem. Two of the last three years in the Prem with parachute payments rolled in for the next few years.They have hardly spent on the stadium or infrastructure to my knowledge, so unless they have totally overpaid on wages which I'm sure Delia wouldn't let happen I can't believe they are struggling
They must have the worst chief accountant going if they do have financial woes.

Can't see it myself

Brylowes

How the hell have Norwich got money problem. Two of the last three years in the Prem with parachute payments rolled in for the next few years.They have hardly spent on the stadium or infrastructure to my knowledge, so unless they have totally overpaid on wages which I'm sure Delia wouldn't let happen I can't believe they are struggling
They must have the worst chief accountant going if they do have financial woes.

Can't see it myself
Live 20 miles from Norwich and have several mates who are season ticket holders, pretty
Sure they will sell out every game next season. Along with parachute payments and a
Strict wage budget, I would be amazed if they're not on a sound financial footing.
Will probably start next season as favourites alongside NUFC as well.

sw88

Chief Commentator!
Tommy Rowe is a good league one player out of contract at Wolves as well, scored against us yesterday for Doncaster who he is one loan at. Don't think those two strikers you mentioned are good enough.

I rate him! Was decent for Peterbrough, especially when I managed them on Football Manager :D

Him and Duffy would be great in midfield

Alkhen

Just had a look at the CET article on the Championship released list. a couple that caught my eye:

Neal Eardley. been injured but I always rated him

David Wheater. Ugly brute of a defender with a Mowbray link

then 3 who could be worth a punt if they could get back their early promise.

Jordan Spence. was very highly regarded at west ham

James Vaughan. again remember Everton having high hopes. L1 could be his level

Sigurðarson. Wolves paid big bucks for him tho id imagine he will head back to the Scandinavian leagues

Users who are viewing this thread