Reda Up Front (1 Viewer)

GaryMabbuttsLeftKnee

Quick question.

I am of the mindset that despite Bristol having been promoted their eyes will be on the title on Saturday (unless Preston slip up on Friday of course) & personally can't see us getting anything from it (although I would gladly be proved wrong). With our lack of goals issues and Reda now our joint top scorer, would it be an idea for the last two games against Crewe and Crawley if we played big Reda up front? (I'm ignoring Bristol as i think he would be far more crucial at the back IF we were to get anything from it).

It wouldn't be particularly pretty and it wouldn't be a long-term solution but could he actually help get us over the line?

stupot07

No, I don't think we should. It should be a tactic reserved for the last 10 minutes if we're chasing the game.

If you look at the reasons it worked - lots of attackers on the pitch and oldham trying to protect their lead made them drop and defend very deep, midfielders were playing a centre halves, confusion of who is picking up which man. I don't think it would be anywhere near as effective in normal play situation against a high line when you're looking to play into the strikers to link play.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

Last edited:

Skyblueweeman

Funny, I was thinking the same thing this morning actually and whether he could become sort of reverse Chris Sutton! However, I then thought that although he's got great heading prowess, he wouldn't exactly work the channels or have a strikers finish on him. I agree with Stupot, something that should be used in the last 5-10 minutes if needed.

He's a bit of a luxury player is Reda. When he's fit, the back line apparently look more composed/assured and he chips in with goals as well. Defo someone we need to have starting as many games as possible next season.

ajsccfc

He's ideal if you need someone steaming onto crosses that you're peppering the goal with, but that's something that only really works when you're playing in desperation. Set out to play like that and you'd be battered.

GaryMabbuttsLeftKnee

Yeah, I do agree. Think he would hold the ball up pretty well given his stature but off the ball movement wouldn't be that of a natural striker. I was just thinking it 's not really working too well as it is with our lack of goals anyway so throw something different out there. Hopefully he won't be needed up top in final 10 mins of either of the last two!

Covstu

I think they are still chasing 100 points and although promoted they are not champions yet so i dont think it is the right time to experiment! I agree with stu on this one, this is a last 10 min tactic when your chasing the game.

ajsccfc

Incidentally, if anyone had tried to challenge Reda's header last night they'd still be trying to get up now.

pusbccfc

It did frustrate me that it took so long to get him up front last night. Should have been up there with 15 to go, rather than 5.

matesx

It did frustrate me that it took so long to get him up front last night. Should have been up there with 15 to go, rather than 5.

... too bad you're not the manager

Users who are viewing this thread