Redknapp defends Capello (1 Viewer)

Coventry La La La

HarryRedknappvBerne_2494392.jpg

Spurs boss does not interfere with

national team managers

Harry Redknapp has revealed he would never ask Fabio Capello to use his Tottenham players sparingly on international duty.
The Italian has been embroiled in a row with Liverpool after it emerged that he reneged on a deal with Liverpool to play Steven Gerrard for just an hour in England's friendly against France on Wednesday.
The Liverpool skipper subsequently suffered a hamstring injury in the 85th minute which will rule him out for a month.
Capello has stated that injuries to other players meant that he needed Gerrard's experience to guide a callow line up.
As a result of the injury, the Football Association has now agreed to pay Liverpool £500,000 in compensation.
Redknapp himself has been deprived of the services of Jermain Defoe and Michael Dawsonfor large chunks of the campaign after they too were injured on international duty in September.

Deal

"I've never struck a deal with," said Redknapp.
"Luka Modric has been playing Saturday, midweek, Saturday, midweek.
"He went off and played for Croatia this week but I didn't ring Slaven Bilic and say, 'Slaven, you can only play him for half a game'.
"It's a shame for Stevie Gerrard but no one is more patriotic than Stevie. It can happen but it can happen out there in training. It's just one of those things.
Peter Crouch also voiced his disappointment at his bit-part role with England despite plundering his 22nd goal in 42 games when he came off the bench against France.

Understands

Capello had opted to give the rampaging Andy Carroll his debut as he tries to sculpt an attack for the future - something Tottenham chief Redknapp understands, even if his gangly striker does not.
"I don't think he should be cheesed off, Crouchy," he added.
"I think he should be pleased to be in the squad. If you'd said to Crouchy about eight years ago, 'You'll be coming on as sub for England', he'd have bitten your arm off.
"We can't be precious, can we? The manager gave Andy Carroll a chance because he's been playing well at Newcastle and he wanted to look at some new faces.
"In a few years' time, Peter won't be available; in three or four years' time, Andy Carroll will."

Users who are viewing this thread