Remarkable but Concerning (2 Viewers)

Adge

He might be a bit blinkered then. I can’t see it and would be really surprised if we pass this seasons season ticket sales.

Regarding the opening post and attendances or lack of, Coventry has always been a football City but is too cosmopolitan in regards to supporting Coventry City.

mark82

yes it’s irrelevant. What isn’t of course is the attendance figures. The real alarming thing is the way the club structures itself we are a loss making model already and it’s getting worse

How many clubs at this level don't make a loss? In the current environment of the championship I'm not sure there is a sustainable way to run a club.

ccfc1234

I could not agree less about the 'ceiling' of our attendances. The size of the city has grown and therefore so has the club's addressable market. Football is also far more mainstream and inclusive a watch than in the 70s to 90s. Women as one example now attend in fair numbers. This single demographic shift has expanded football clubs reach a great deal. What CCFC need is some real creative thinking about how they can tap into the whole spectrum of the cities population and sell the benefit of supporting our club. Some clubs have done this superbly, we are currently not maximising our opportunities. Covid has not helped but I genuinely don't think we have those types of thinkers directing the daily business activities at the club.

Saddlebrains

If they think we're going to get near last seasons ST figures they're dreaming

The cost of living at the moment is a joke

The novelty of the return to cov has worn off (as seen by the walk ups, etc recently)

The amount of night games because of the shitty winter world cup will put people off, different missing 2 or 3 a season compared to 7 or 8 (lots cant make midweeks)

Inevitably going to be some who will question it due to the numerous incidences of drug taking, violence etc that seems to have crept into the fanbase this season

Il go 9k

Personally I'm undecided, sick of having to walk my daughter through puddles of piss and wiping cocaine/bags off the bog roll holder etc

Sky Blue Pete

And why the hell not? We should be beating the numbers based on what fans say they want. Relative success and attractive football, but lots of the so called supporters will blame something they can’t control.
If after this season you’re thinking not again about a season ticket I despair

Sky Blue Pete

How many clubs at this level don't make a loss? In the current environment of the championship I'm not sure there is a sustainable way to run a club.
He and many others don’t want a sustainable club they want someone else to give their money without expecting it back. It’s fair enough most other clubs have it

duffer

And why the hell not? We should be beating the numbers based on what fans say they want. Relative success and attractive football, but lots of the so called supporters will blame something they can’t control.

In fairness Pete, it's not just about the football. If it was I'd be there every week because I still love the game and the club.

However it's the cost and the overall experience, as saddlebrains alludes to above. Not enough spare cash and a bit too much hassle to make it a regular thing, for me at least. That's a pity, because I had an ST for, well, decades basically.

That said, I've still got absolute respect for everyone who does pay out for an ST. I'd have to accept that they're doing more for the club than I am.

NorthernWisdom

In fairness Pete, it's not just about the football. If it was I'd be there every week because I still love the game and the club.

However it's the cost and the overall experience, as saddlebrains alludes to above. Not enough spare cash and a bit too much hassle to make it a regular thing, for me at least. That's a pity, because I had an ST for, well, decades basically.

That said, I've still got absolute respect for everyone who does pay out for an ST. I'd have to accept that they're doing more for the club than I am.
While I agree with you, tbf I think Pete was suggesting if you had a season ticket this season, then it wouldn't be the product that stopped you renewing next, which is where you're in agreement.

And I can see the point about aiming for more next season. This season has been positive, the atmosphere has come across well, some who were cautious about buying this season may be less cautious about next... there are reasons to aim big.

Whether we get there, of course...

Sky Blue Pete

I’m sorry!! We are all fans I just can’t believe it’s wrong for the club to think we should aim for similar season ticket sales

Brylowes

Being the 9th largest city will ‘in no way‘ equate to having the 9th largest fan base or average crowd ‘and for many reasons’ not least some of the larger cities have more than one bigger club eg: LONDON; Arsenal, Spurs, Chelsea, West Ham, Palace, Fulham. BIRMINGHAM; Villa, West Brom, Birmingham. MANCHESTER; Utd, City. LIVERPOOL; Everton, Liverpool. SHEFFIELD; Utd, Wednesday.
So that’s 15 bigger clubs in those 5 cities alone, then you have a cluster of clubs from smaller cities that have larger fan bases than us for numerous different reasons, historical success, geographic position, recent relevant success etc; Sunderland, Southampton, Wolverhampton, Ipswich, Norwich, Portsmouth, Watford, Burnley, Derby, Middlesbrough, Stoke.
If you then add Leeds, Newcastle, Nottingham Forest, Leicester and we are probably about bang on our correct position of 30th

Samo

Being the 9th largest city will ‘in no way‘ equate to having the 9th largest fan base or average crowd ‘and for many reasons’ not least some of the larger cities have more than one bigger club eg: LONDON; Arsenal, Spurs, Chelsea, West Ham, Palace, Fulham. BIRMINGHAM; Villa, West Brom, Birmingham. MANCHESTER; Utd, City. LIVERPOOL; Everton, Liverpool. SHEFFIELD; Utd, Wednesday.
So that’s 15 bigger clubs in those 5 cities alone, then you have a cluster of clubs from smaller cities that have larger fan bases than us for numerous different reasons, historical success, geographic position, recent relevant success etc; Sunderland, Southampton, Wolverhampton, Ipswich, Norwich, Portsmouth, Watford, Burnley, Derby, Middlesbrough, Stoke.
If you then add Leeds, Newcastle, Nottingham Forest, Leicester and we are probably about bang on our correct position of 30th

Agreed. But... being the 9th largest city in England would suggest that there is room to grow our fanbase if the club is marketed aggressively.

Gynnsthetonic

I havnt had a full season ticket for 15 years until this season, had part ones before normally after Christmas, will be renewing in the summer as feel if I don't I'm letting the Club down especially after the relatively successful last 5 years!

NortonSkyBlue

If you need support in getting a season ticket then on this very forum help is at hand.

letsallsingtogether

But we've never hardly gone over the 20k ceiling for home fans at the Ricoh so what's your point
Nor did the likes of leicester, fill their ground until they made the Prem thats just one team there are lots of examples.

We would sell out every week in the Prem Fact thats the point.

ccfc1234

Just seen the job advert for the Head of ticketing and our HR department have dropped the ball a bit. The first 'Essential' criteria on the list is that the successful candidate will have been head of ticketing at a professional sports team. That one criteria will knock out so many potentially superb candidates. If someone has been head of ticketing for theatre company for example marketing events astutely and bringing in sell out crowds, they would be rejected at the 1st sift. Transferable skills and understanding of the target market customer is what's needed.

theferret

By no meaningful measure is Coventry the 9th largest city in England. City populations are often determined by artificial lines on a map drawn by civil servants. Coventry is nowhere near as big as Nottingham or Newcastle, but the 'city' population says it is. As a single urban sprawl these places are much bigger than Coventry. Conurbation size is a far better measure of the size of a 'place', and Coventry is about 20th on that list.

duffer

By no meaningful measure is Coventry the 9th largest city in England. City populations are often determined by artificial lines on a map drawn by civil servants. Coventry is nowhere near as big as Nottingham or Newcastle, but the 'city' population says it is. As a single urban sprawl these places are much bigger than Coventry. Conurbation size is a far better measure of the size of a 'place', and Coventry is about 20th on that list.

Don't worry mate, the Council are working pretty hard to increase that 'urban sprawl'. I'm sure we'll get there one day.

Your point has merit though, I think technically we've got a bigger population than London. The 'City of London', anyway. 😁

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

He and many others don’t want a sustainable club they want someone else to give their money without expecting it back. It’s fair enough most other clubs have it
Not necessarily, there’s a way to invest but get a return. The current strategy isn’t a bad one. Buy low sell high.

what we need is someone to take the gamble. Sign 5/6 good players sell 1 each year.Thats what we started with and what Brentford did. Its also about keeping those players on long term contracts. If we had 5/6 new players in - selling Hamer for example wouldn’t be a ball ache.

we’ve got this much vaunted recruitment system, let’s believe in it. We’re currently signing 1/2 each season and that’s it. It’s nowhere near enough to make this model successful

Sky Blue Pete

Not necessarily, there’s a way to invest but get a return. The current strategy isn’t a bad one. Buy low sell high.

what we need is someone to take the gamble. Sign 5/6 good players sell 1 each year.Thats what we started with and what Brentford did. Its also about keeping those players on long term contracts. If we had 5/6 new players in - selling Hamer for example wouldn’t be a ball ache.

we’ve got this much vaunted recruitment system, let’s believe in it. We’re currently signing 1/2 each season and that’s it. It’s nowhere near enough to make this model successful
What does success look like to you?
Automatic promotion?
I’ll let you into a secret it’s not going to happen
Or?
Ongoing progression

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

What does success look like to you?
Automatic promotion?
I’ll let you into a secret it’s not going to happen
Or?
Ongoing progression
I’m not getting what you’re getting at? We agree. Ongoing progression is good.

but at some point we’re going to stall, and stagnate. I don’t want the owners to throw cash with no way of getting the money back. If we’re going to continue to progress, eventually they’re going to have to invest in new and more assets.

Sky Blue Pete

I’m not getting what you’re getting at? We agree. Ongoing progression is good.

but at some point we’re going to stall, and stagnate. I don’t want the owners to throw cash with no way of getting the money back. If we’re going to continue to progress, eventually they’re going to have to invest in new and more assets.
We agree then. Sisu will not other than in the form of high interest loans.

Grendel

Just the best judge of the future is what’s happened in the past!

I do wonder what robins would consider what level of budget would allow him to progress

If owners has much larger funds at a takeover they’d get rid of him

Users who are viewing this thread