Reminder about Libel etc (1 Viewer)

Big_Ben

Keyword: In Private...that's no libellous

I think that you'll find that if it's in writing (or print as in e-mail), and it's not factually correct, even in a private message that is made public, and insult is caused or taken, in law that's libel.

ajsccfc

Everyone is allowed there own opinion so let them say what they feel and don't be so corrupt

Ignoring the odd use of the word corrupt, it can't be said enough that 'opinion' is no actual defence or justification for being able to say anything you want. See also: 'banter'.

cashless

If you were to suggest a certain local media personality was a pompous, know it all , self righteous twat...would there be a problem with that?

Skyblueloyal

Just a gentle reminder, could you think before you post personal insults, accusations and everything else against other members, organisations and individuals.

People DO read these forums so can see what you put and it possibly could come back to haunt you with legal action so just to save any hassle could you think before you post or if you see something a bit borderline could you report it so we can deal with it?

If anyone from Sisu is reading this then I have more money than you. FACT !

GaryPendrysEyes

I think that you'll find that if it's in writing (or print as in e-mail), and it's not factually correct, even in a private message that is made public, and insult is caused or taken, in law that's libel.
If its private and not published then its not libel. If its a private message made public, it would be whoever made it public liable not the author.

dongonzalos

If its private and not published then its not libel. If its a private message made public, it would be whoever made it public liable not the author.

Nick told me in private if I continue to support Andy Thorn he will ban me from the site, burn down my garden shed and steal my Easter Eggs.

So if I keep this to myself he is ok but if I send it to the guardian he is screwed?

Big_Ben

Not so - It's still the writer that's libellous. The person that revealed the libellous material will probably get called something else!!

shmmeee

They can say their opinion, not accusations and personal remarks without being able to prove them ;)

Not quite: http://www.urban75.org/info/libel.html

Seems like a lot of what people say comes under "fair comment"

Nonleagueherewecome

Nick, you removed my post saying "was it ok if i called Tim Fisher a homos*****", i was actually implying he was a homosapien ;)

I refute this unfounded allegation.

James Smith

FootyLawBlog

And seriously-has anyone aver been successfully sued for libel based on what they've said on an internet forum? Really?

Yes: quite a few people have been sued for defamation over things posted on the internet; and not just the people posting the libelous messages, but also the operator of the message board/web site and the internet company owning or hosting the server the site is based on.

Contrary to popular opinion, the Internet is not a law-free zone.

For the most high profile recent example take a look at McApline v Bercow [2013] EWHC 1342 (QB) where the High Court ruled that a Tweet stating simply: "Why is Lord McAlpine trending? *Innocent face*" was defamatory.

FootyLawBlog

Not so - It's still the writer that's libellous. The person that revealed the libellous material will probably get called something else!!

This is wrong (as are the preceding two messages).

If it is private and not published it isn't a message. A person is entitled to his own thoughts and can put what he wants in writing - so long as he doesn't show or sent it to anybody. But as soon as he does send it to another person, then it is published.

If the message is defamatory the person who sent it can be sued even though the message only went to one person (but how does the person defamed know about the existence of such a defamatory statement in such circumstances?)

If the person who received the defamatory message then sent it to other people, he too is guilty of defamation through dissemination.

If a newspaper prints something defamatory, it was quite common for those defamed to sue not only the newspaper, but also the journalist and editor, the printers, the wholesalers and even newsagents. The people lower down the dissemination chain would have indemnity clauses written into the contracts with those higher up so that, if necessary, they could settle the claim and receive a refund from the publishers. Lawyers tend not to do this now - presumably because of the developing defence of innocent dissemination - and also because it could be seen as abusive; it doesn't deal with the real injustice nor guarantee a printed retraction or apology.

Big Ben said that it is libel if "insult is caused or taken". Defamation has nothing to do with insult (a criminal matter covered by the Public Order Act and in the domain of the police rather than a civil matter pursued by the insulted).

Defamation is the publication of an untrue statement about a person that tends to:
  • expose the person to hatred, ridicule or contempt;
  • cause the person to be shunned or avoided;
  • lower the person in the estimation of right-thinking members of society generally; or
  • disparage the person in his/her business, trade, office or profession.

Going back to the single message - if the government was thinking of extending the West Coast Mainline franchise, and I sent a message to the Transport Secretary with some juicy but false information about Richard Branson, and the Transport Secretary blocked the extension, then I have defamed Branson. Nobody else need see the message other than the one person I sent it to.

dilligaf

Anyone can sue me they can have 99.9% or even 100% of what i have.
I'll still have 100% of nothing and so will they

Nick

Administrator
Another reminder not to get too carried away when posting, I'll be trying to find somebody to help out with moderating to try and keep on top of things and get a bit of structure / order in the court!

Sky Blue Pete

Another reminder not to get too carried away when posting, I'll be trying to find somebody to help out with moderating to try and keep on top of things and get a bit of structure / order in the court!
Thanks for all the work you do do on here-much appreciated

Nick

Administrator
Another reminder that if police or lawyers come knocking then I may be forced to give out personal info, so think before posting...

SkyblueBazza

Stupid fucking phone made me post on wrong thread.. doh

Tbh...it's snide so perhaps avoid posting it anywhere else either - whether you are NOPM or not. For the record I shall not go...but to be fair, even if no CCFC fans went - it's still a bumper pay-day for SISU unfortunately.

shmmeee

Be careful about what you think comes under fair comment as the Sunday Times and Julie Burchill found out in comments it made about the actor Steven Berkof.

http://mavrkydefamationcaselaw.blogspot.fr/2007/01/berkoff-v-burchill.html

I know this is like 5 months late, but I never go in this thread.

I refuse to accept that a poster on a message board and the Sunday Times are equivalent. And if the law sees them as such then the law is an ass. From what I've seen, most sensible judges agree.

James Smith

I know this is like 5 months late, but I never go in this thread.

I refuse to accept that a poster on a message board and the Sunday Times are equivalent. And if the law sees them as such then the law is an ass. From what I've seen, most sensible judges agree.

Actually there have been changes to the law recently and websites like this one are now slightly better protected.

chiefdave

I think I am right if you know something is correct and is fact you will not face libel on here

You may have to go to court to prove you are right and / or the other side prove you are wrong but generally if you're telling the truth there's not a lot anyone can do other than try and bully you into a retraction (see SISU and the Guardian).

dongonzalos

You need to be able to prove you are right

Yes in hypothetical situation if a person had heard it from the horses mouth as oppose to their cousin. They would be on safe grounds. If the horse didn't want it out there it should not have turned into the famous Mr Ed?

dongonzalos

You may have to go to court to prove you are right and / or the other side prove you are wrong but generally if you're telling the truth there's not a lot anyone can do other than try and bully you into a retraction (see SISU and the Guardian).

Yes that's what I thought.

Users who are viewing this thread