Ricoh Talks Failing and Butts More Attractive (1 Viewer)

ccfcway

hmm

Asked if he felt the football club, as many supporters feel, is being squeezed out of the Ricoh and the city by Wasps, “It does feel that way"

and..

Mr Anderson said Coventry City Football Club estimates it received a paltry circa £75,000 of non-ticketing matchday revenue as tenants of the Ricoh Arena in the season just ended. It comprised of just £72,000 from the sale of kiosk food and drink to fans around the stadium concourse – with 85 per cent of those revenues going to ACL/Wasps

why would Wasps want rid of CCFC, they pay rent and bring in income. CCFC are a cash cow for Wasps

chiefdave

it received a paltry circa £75,000 of non-ticketing matchday revenue as tenants of the Ricoh Arena in the season just ended
Seems like a PR job from ACL to me. If you remember at the time Fisher said he was not allowed to reveal any details of the revenue share. Looked great for ACL but now a couple of years down the line we find out its £75K.

theferret

Don't know why people are flapping. The future looks decidedly less bleak than it did a week ago when there was seemingly no new stadium option.

There is a solution, its called the BPA. Get behind it and stop daydreaming about yellow seats and a future in the shadow of a shameless rugby club from London. Personally chuffed to bits by these developments. Higgs? That's a bummer - not at all surprising though.

stupot07

I'm almost past caring.
Sisu are settling on mediocrity and it's everybody else's fault but their's.
Lucky for me I can find other things to do.
So you won't go to watch ccfc if they move to the butts? Even if it's found to be the most financially beneficial?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Otis

CHRIS ANDERSON ON STAYING AT THE RICOH ARENA

He said: “I can confirm we’ve had ongoing conversations with Wasps to understand what the opportunities might be to stay at the Ricoh Arena long term. Those conversations were amicable but ultimately we haven’t arrived at the point where they’ve been able to give us what we need.
“We respect that and understand they are hemmed in by various arrangements they’ve made, and their own business model – the long-term arrangement with Compass and the need to service their bond scheme.
“They are not free to give us what we want. We respect that. For us we have to seriously consider the other option.
“Since I’m new to the town it’s given me a fresh perspective on what’s going on. I think it seems apparent that the arrangement with Wasps owning the Ricoh, and the arrangements they’ve made to make the Ricoh work for them, has made it more difficult for the club to operate because of the constraints put on the football club.”

SKY BLUES BEING ‘SQUEEZED OUT’ BY WASPS, COUNCIL AND OTHERS?

The Coventry Observer yesterday exclusively revealed a leaked council email in January to Coventry rugby club had proposed blocking the Butts groundshare proposal.
Asked if he felt the football club, as many supporters feel, is being squeezed out of the Ricoh and the city by Wasps, Coventry City Council and others, Mr Anderson said: “Are we being squeezed out? I can understand why a lot of supporters would feel that way.
“It does feel that way. I can’t comment on people’s intentions. One way of showing we’re not being squeezed out is to show us that the Butts Park Arena is being fairly examined. It’s a combination of factors that has produced the situation we’re in.
“It’s a very difficult situation for us to operate in. We don’t own the ground, we don’t have the access to revenue. I said to you when I first arrived that we need the support of everybody in the city, and that would include the support of the local authority.
“It’s difficult to see why the local authority wouldn’t want to be supportive of the two sporting institutions in the city with a distinguished history. They are community institutions which are valuable and important in the cultural landscape – with the city bidding to be capital of culture – and in a business sense. They provide jobs.
“In any other town you would assume the local authority would be absolutely on board with that.”

CHRIS ANDERSON ON CCFC ACADEMY’S FUTURE

He said: “When I think about our academy with local boys, the best athletes in our community, training at the Higgs centre, we would like to stay there and continue using it.
“That has become difficult. Coventry Sports Foundation has found it necessary to explore alternative uses. We’ve consistently said to them we would like to remain there. They have not been very engaging with us.
“Again, we need everybody behind the football club. I don’t see why anybody in Coventry would want the city’s most talented athletes frozen out of the city – a purpose-built facility which was built for the academy.
“I’ve not seen any evidence that the football club has ever indicated to the Coventry Sports Foundation that they would not want to stay there for the long term. I’ve seen no evidence of Coventry Sports Foundation coming to us officially to say we’re offering you to stay at the Higgs centre long term. They’ve not made that offer.
“It feels like they’ve decided we’re not part of their plans.”

WASPS GIANT FLAGS ON A444 OUTSIDE RICOH

Asked about the furore over flags, Mr Anderson said: “We would love to see our own flags on the roundabout. I completely understand our supporters’ feelings about the flags. I’d prefer our flags to be flying there, or for us to at least share the 10 flagpoles.”

PALTRY c.£75,000 RICOH REVENUES

Mr Anderson said Coventry City Football Club estimates it received a paltry circa £75,000 of non-ticketing matchday revenue as tenants of the Ricoh Arena in the season just ended.
It comprised of just £72,000 from the sale of kiosk food and drink to fans around the stadium concourse – with 85 per cent of those revenues going to ACL/Wasps – and just £2,700 from car parking from just five games, with the rest going to ACL/Wasps.
The club received not a penny from corporate catering, he added, nor, crucially, from any commercial activities around-the-clock 24/7 on non-matchdays.
The club’s total revenue is expected to be recorded in the next accounts at between £5million and£5.5million for this season. Football League rules restrict to around 40 per cent of revenues the amount clubs can invest in players on the pitch – making it more difficult to compete with clubs who have their own stadium revenues.
Club sources estimate between £1million and £2million was generated by the Sky Blues from non-ticketing matchday revenue alone when at its former Highfield Road stadium it owned just outside the city centre, more than a decade ago.
Mr Anderson emphasised the Sky Blues would share revenues from non-matchday commercial activities at the Butts Park Arena, which could include student accommodation, conferencing, catering, weddings, funeral, hotel facilities and/or more.
He added the average non-matchday revenue for football clubs was between £350,000 and £1million a year – and owning your own stadium brings more lucrative income from stadium naming rights, and other sponsorship and advertising deals.

MORE ON BUTTS PROPOSAL

The Butts stadium could increase from the current one-stand 4,000-capacity to 15,000 initially, rising to up to 25,000 if Coventry City secures promotions. As we reported yesterday, Cov rugby chairman John Sharp said one possibility was to build two stands initially.
Consultants on real estate and planning have been examining potential possibilities at the Butts for over a year.
The proposal is that Coventry City and Cov rugby would have shares (on a ratio to be decided) in a property company at the redeveloped Butts Park Arena.
Each sporting club would have its own separate operating company. The aim would be to protect each of the clubs from any insolvency event affecting the other.
Use of the expanded Butts by Coventry United Football Club and potentially other sporting institutions are being examined, Mr Sharp told us yesterday.
Mr Anderson added: “It all links back to the playing squad. We’re trying to get back up the leagues again.
“Our dream is to play in the Premiership. Stadium revenues are the difference between having to sell your (homegrown young) players like James Maddison and not having to.

Sorry, but that last point is total bollocks. If we were in the Premier League and Maddison was good enough, he would be sold just the same and simply be snapped up by one of the big boys.

We have pretty much always been a selling club, as are most throughout the entire League system. A bigger club is always going to snap up your best players.

shy_tall_knight

There is no getting away from it and despite the Higgs & CCC shafting the club to bring in WASPS, whilst SISU are here we're fooked, its clearly personal with CCC but they have the whip hand, SISuU lack credability, are despised by many CCFC fans, can be used as a convenient excuse by others, WASPS are winning the PR battle in Coventry. BPA could lead to more disputes and battles whilst we languish in the lower leagues.

I haven't got the answers but this is a low point, if BPA happens I will support all the way but lets be honest its SISU they are the masters of negative PR and strategic cock ups it will need a master stroke by them to get the fans and alot of the city behind the project as well as CCC.

These are desperate times, fooked as we are and the future looks equally uncertain.

Otis

There is no getting away from it and despite the Higgs & CCC shafting the club to bring in WASPS, whilst SISU are here we're fooked, its clearly personal with CCC but they have the whip hand, SISuU lack credability, are despised by many CCFC fans, can be used as a convenient excuse by others, WASPS are winning the PR battle in Coventry. BPA could lead to more disputes and battles whilst we languish in the lower leagues.

I haven't got the answers but this is a low point, if BPA happens I will support all the way but lets be honest its SISU they are the masters of negative PR and strategic cock ups it will need a master stroke by them to get the fans and alot of the city behind the project as well as CCC.

These are desperate times, fooked as we are and the future looks equally uncertain.

What we are left with are the two sides of the coin. A council pretty much despised by all the fans and then Sisu who are despised by the fans and the council.

Not a good place to be is it!

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
having looked at the article again (btw I think Reid's opinion piece is better and one of his better articles - don't agree with all of it but still not a bad report)

Moving to the Butts. Feels to me that it is eggs in one basket. The Butts move has to happen because clearly the negotiations with Wasps are not progressing. Am I convinced it will make a massive difference to our fortunes? - no not as yet. It may add more income certainly but on the otherside it will definitely add more cost. It will also be shared. I do worry for CRFC, perhaps as a CCFC fan I shouldn't, but I can forsee them rapidly becoming the junior party at BPA. If they don't get promotion from a one place promotion league then I think they have problems. I don't know much about there finances but I doubt they can sell the finance idea to anyone on their own. Still for CCFC its a question of do they get more turnover but more importantly cashflow to invest in the team. To count against SCMP I thought that income has to be football related is student accommodation? But yes they have to explore it and no despite the questions I and others have they wont really explain it all to us. If it happens be prepared to pay more for a ticket

Staying at the Ricoh. From the clubs point of view seems a straight answer to me Wasps wont give them what they need. Everything has a price and there are ways around these things usually. Yes there are complications surrounding the bond etc but I still wonder if part of it is Wasps have been hard nosed and we wont discuss further until the legal actions stop. Wasps are named and will be dealing costs associated. Also depends what the 17 points were and what CCFC are prepared to contribute to acquire the extra incomes. I can understand Wasps not doing any favours but not convinced yet there is no arrangement that can be made. This can all read different ways, we are most probably leaving, there is no deal to do, there is no deal at a price acceptable to CCFC, a bargaining position. I tend to think a bridge is falling and we will have to focus on BPA. Could be risky could be the making of CCFC future ..... or not

Being squeezed out You certainly could see it that way. You could also see it that the other side have simply had enough and are heading different directions. You would like to think that there was a relationship there between local authority and CCFC that could help both benefit, sadly there is clearly not. To my way of thinking both as bad as each other and the positions are firmly entrenched. However CCFC need to get CCC on side. Not necessarily to contribute but certainly to not block any future development. They cant block planning as such but they can block funding to things like travel plans, roads etc. Again this week comes over as CCFC being bullied by the big bad council and that's not I feel a helpful stance to take. In fact the comments can all come over as everyone is against us - in one way that will unite fans give some momentum, but fans don't sign the deals that will be necessary off. Of course it is also a challenge to CCC by CA ...... will they bite or turn away from it.......... in most other towns the local authority usually has only one major sporting to choose ? Are they saying they don't support it or that they wont finance it. Are they calling CCFC's bluff? Sure we will find out soon enough

The Academy This bit really annoys me. This is the clubs future. All involved should be taking better care of it. However the prime responsibility for the Academy rests with the club who owns it. Therefore if it is part of a long term plan you have to plan long term. Why have a three year deal anyway? Why leave it late in the day to secure it. Why if you know there is a predatory rugby club is around is not secured. Looks to me that neither side really talked until the pool news came out, but there had been warnings as to possible alternatives previously. The lease runs out a year from now so how could you have a long term plan for the Cat 2 Academy if neither side talked. Common theme in this saga - no sense of partnership don't care who is to blame but it has been all about confrontation not working together. Yes CCC, CSF, Charity could have done better but so could CCFC. A common theme seems to be expectation simply because it is CCFC I find that frustrating and arrogant

Flags Honestly don't really care but have we asked are we prepared to pay for some?

£75000 revenues I agree not much but then again CCFC fans don't actually spend much either. But the £72000 straight 15% I assume is a straight cut with no expenses? Equates to a F&B turnover of 480k. If turnover was so crucial why didn't they do a joint deal where they were credited with 50% of the turnover for example upon which they earn 72k. That way 240k not 72k counts towards SCMP. Of course the budget issue is really the cash flow. As for car parking why only 5 games, what was the deal struck? So for all the corporate and hospitality tickets sold by the club they didn't earn from the catering ? Who and how were these deals negotiated, if ACL & CCC were so desperate to get CCFC back why did we accept the set up. Does make me wonder who needed CCFC back at the Ricoh most. Of course none of the above is going to improve whilst we are in the position of promoting BPA as the CCFC solution. So for the next 3, 4 5 years we get very little back.

The £72k does of course mean that netted off against rent it cost very little to be at the Ricoh. We don't know what match day expenses were or if charged and in any case those would be payable at any ground including our own. But it also confirms that Wasps earn very little from CCFC and therefore would not be overly concerned by them leaving. Catering incomes at HR were just under £1m but the club bore all the costs too, infact for several years were much lower because they were franchised out. I doubt Wasps earn anything close to £1m from CCFC corporate hospitality etc. It would be interesting to see matchday incomes defined - analysis and allocation if disclosed seems to vary from club to club.

We will have had a turnover of between £5 to £5.5m this season. Well above many other clubs. It isn't necessarily how much but it is how you spend it. As much as possible obviously helps. That figure puts our player budget above the matchday income of a number of clubs

BPA Got a lot going for it but also a lot of hurdles to overcome. Of course the club has to explore it. After this week they have no choice now. Many fans are keen but I sense a hardening of attitudes on all sides. Fingers crossed it works and it leads to success. It will take time and in that time I reckon there is precious little chance of improved income streams. that will inevitably mean player sales. However that doesn't mean in a new ground we wont need to cash in on the starlets the Academy produces if we still have one

On the one hand there is a glimmer of hope but on the other nothing has changed. But at least BPA makes us look forward and not back in these ever decreasing circles of nit picking as to what went on or who said what when. I think the stakes have been raised by SISU/CCFC

Last edited:

stupot07

The Academy This bit really annoys me. This is the clubs future. All involved should be taking better care of it. However the prime responsibility for the Academy rests with the club who owns it. Therefore if it is part of a long term plan you have to plan long term. Why have a three year deal anyway? Why leave it late in the day to secure it. Why if you know there is a predatory rugby club is around is not secured. Looks to me that neither side really talked until the pool news came out, but there had been warnings as to possible alternatives previously. The lease runs out a year from now so how could you have a long term plan for the Cat 2 Academy if neither side talked. Common theme in this saga - no sense of partnership don't care who is to blame but it has been all about confrontation not working together. Yes CCC, CSF, Charity could have done better but so could CCFC. A common theme seems to be expectation simply because it is CCFC I find that frustrating and arrogant

To be honest, they have totally ignored the swimming pool, which is pretty much a done deal, is part of the councils sports strategy and will the indoor pitches demolished and replaced with the pool. From what I understand this would be happening whether the club had a long term deal there or not, and by that happening we wouldn't meet the requirements for a cat 2 academy as you have to have an indoor training pitch (from what I understand). So regardless of city messing around, or wasps replacing them, our academy would be shafted.

chiefdave

Sorry, but that last point is total bollocks. If we were in the Premier League and Maddison was good enough, he would be sold just the same and simply be snapped up by one of the big boys.

Of course but I think what he means is we wouldn't need to sell at the earliest opportunity to balance the books.

It seems that there was a need to sell Maddison as we were losing money, said to be in a large part due to the uptake of season tickets / match packages which considerably lowered the revenue per ticket sold.

Nick

Administrator
To be honest, they have totally ignored the swimming pool, which is pretty much a done deal, is part of the councils sports strategy and will the indoor pitches demolished and replaced with the pool. From what I understand this would be happening whether the club had a long term deal there or not, and by that happening we wouldn't meet the requirements for a cat 2 academy as you have to have an indoor training pitch (from what I understand). So regardless of city messing around, or wasps replacing them, our academy would be shafted.

That's the thing.

If CCFC had committed to 50 years there, would the swimming pool idea be completely scrapped?

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
no probably not but the club would have had to be compensated or offered alternative

chiefdave

However CCFC need to get CCC on side.

My concern is that there are things that suggest the attitude of CCC towards CCFC predates SISU. I fear people are assuming that if SISU went everything would be OK, I'm not convinced that would be the case.

We don't know what match day expenses were or if charged and in any case those would be payable at any ground including our own.

Under the old deal (prior to Sixfields) matchday costs came to around £400K a season. From what I am led to believe since our return these have been increased significantly.

eastwoodsdustman

That's the thing.

If CCFC had committed to 50 years there, would the swimming pool idea be completely scrapped?

No chance. Council wanted a new pool and a new pool they shall have. By hook or by crook.
This council is very good at spending other peoples money. If we had an owner like Villa have got now then they'd be all over them like a cheap suit. Because they know that Sisu won't just blindly pump £millions in they are totally against them. They kiss Wasps and the universities arses at the moment because they know they'll get some credit for the money thats spent. As soon as the money stops they'll want nothing to do with them.

Nick

Administrator
no probably not but the club would have had to be compensated or offered alternative

Yeah they would need to be paid off to go, or they would need to plan it so that the facility there was still good enough for CCFC and redo it so the Academy AND the pool were still there.

If they could do it so the indoor pitch AND the pool were still there, why not do it anyway and maximise income?

If they would have done the pool whether CCFC had agreed to be there long term or not, it doesn't make a difference.

CCFC say "Wasps is a done deal, we have tried but aren't getting anywhere" and the response is "the door is open" but no mention of anything else. Very much like the "it is up to CCFC to bid on the Higgs half" when Wasps came in....

Sick Boy

The owners mate (and probably previous one's as well)

They won't be here forever and CCC's behaviour is making it more and more unlikely that anyone will ever want to buy the club. Numerous parties have now criticised them, yet many refuse to admit that they are part of the problem. CCC & SISU deserve each other.

Nick

Administrator
They won't be here forever and CCC's behaviour is making it more and more unlikely that anyone will ever want to buy the club. Numerous parties have now criticised them, yet many refuse to admit that they are part of the problem. CCC & SISU deserve each other.

2 sets of owners as well as potential owners who didn't even take over.

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
Under the old deal (prior to Sixfields) matchday costs came to around £400K a season. From what I am led to believe since our return these have been increased significantly.

Am not sure about that but as CA is being so forth coming perhaps now would be a good time for Les or Simon to finally bottom out what it does cost us to be at the Ricoh? Might help sell the BPA idea ?

NorthernWisdom

Am not sure about that but as CA is being so forth coming perhaps now would be a good time for Les or Simon to finally bottom out what it does cost us to be at the Ricoh? Might help sell the BPA idea ?

We've got the wrong owners for it, but I so so wish we'd move away from finances and onto social.

BPA trumps just about everywhere else then.

And sure, we might have owners who don't care for the social, but even if this were a bluff if we moved along so that BPA became an actual possibility... we might end up with more socially oriented owners next, who'd have an easier time making it happen... or an equivalent (and I'd far rather a social equivalent than a corporate monstrosity. Long term, CCFC *and* CCC would be better served with the former too, whatever the short-term says)

tisza

i don't understand how he says there is zero income from corporate catering. The club was selling various packages that included meals.
75K from non-ticketing matchday income doesn't seem to include matchday advertising income either which the club was selling.

rightumpty

COVENTRY City Football Club’s talks over staying at the Wasps-owned Ricoh Arena are not working and the club must further explore a move to a redeveloped Butts Park Arena, managing director Chris Anderson told the Coventry Observer today.
Our exclusive interview with him is the first on-record public comment from anyone at the club concerning the groundshare proposal for the Butts home of Coventry Rugby Football Club with up to 25,000 capacity – a plan first exclusively revealed by this newspaper six months ago.
Mr Anderson – an academic, ex-German semi-professional footballer and author of a sports statistics book – took over as MD and executive vice chairman last November.
Earlier this year he spoke about the club examining two options – an unnamed new stadium site or negotiating a better deal with Wasps, to secure vital stadium revenues to ensure the cub’s survival and to invest in Tony Mowbray’s team and young talent.
But today he struck a different note concerning any prospect of staying at the Ricoh, saying his 17-point negotiation plan with Wasps over revenues had come to nought.
The club’s owners Sisu have long insisted a new stadium had to be the way forward as there was no prospect of significant 24/7 commercial and sponsorship revenues at the Ricoh Arena, where the club is a mere tenant.
Wasps will need as much revenue as it can muster from the stadium it bought from the council and Alan Edward Higgs Charity in 2014, on a massively extended 250-year lease deal not offered to football club on which the Ricoh always depended.
Wasps has reported debts of £35million in a retail bond scheme first revealed by this newspaper, and has to pay over £2million a year in interest payments alone. Corporate catering profits go to Wasps owned Arena Coventry Limited (ACL) and Compass who have a Joint Venture agreement

Mr Anderson also voiced disappointment over plans to remove the Sky Blues’ vital youth academy from the Alan Higgs Centre in Allard Way in June next year, into which Wasps is to move its training and academy facilities. He told us it now appears to be a done deal.
Mr Anderson revealed the Sky Blues had recently been informed by the centre’s operators there would be no going back on arrangements for the Sky Blues to leave the centre by June 30 next year, when a lease expires.

Trustees of the Alan Higgs Centre Trust have included former Sky Blues life president Joe Elliott, ex-council leader John Mutton (now the new deputy leader) and ex ACL director Peter Knatchbull-Hugessen, and it is understood they were party to negotiations.
An agreement was announced in March to transfer the Coventry Sports Foundation-operated centre’s lease to Coventry and Warwickshire Award Trust (CAWAT) to help facilitate the partnership with Wasps and potentially a new swimming pool, a move publicly supported in March by Coventry City Council.
The Coventry Sports Foundation claims Wasps had provided security of tenure for the long term, while the football club had spoken of moving its academy elsewhere.
But Mr Anderson said he and the club had attempted to have discussions with the centre about CCFC’s academy remaining there long term.
We also questioned Mr Anderson over fans’ anger over the erection of giant Wasps flags on the A444 roundabout outside the Ricoh Arena, with no Coventry City flags, perceived as a further insensitive council-backed move by many.

CHRIS ANDERSON ON MOVING TO BUTTS

Mr Anderson said “We’ve said all along we are considering all options. I’ve only been here since last autumn. I needed to get up to speed and understand what the options are.
“The Butts Park Arena is one of the options that’s come to the fore that we are actively considering for the obvious reasons. The football club needs to be in control of its own destiny when it comes to revenues.
“It could be a really interesting option. It has real potential in a number of ways. It’s important we consider it seriously and consider the conversations.
“What I love about those options is it is such a good location in the city boundary, with the opportunity to link to two sporting clubs together and make sure both have a future.
“This isn’t a takeover of the rugby club by the football club or vice versa, but a partnership and sharing a ground in the city centre. When you go to the Butts Park Arena you can imagine it and see it in your mind’s eye.
“..The Football League have given preliminary approval to the site. They’ve inspected it (as this newspaper revealed last November). They’ve given us a report and they are on board with it.”
Anderson now joins the ranks of Delieu, Tim nasty and Dim. Complete bunch of arseholes with no interest in CCFC at all.

martcov

Anderson now joins the ranks of Delieu, Tim nasty and Dim. Complete bunch of arseholes with no interest in CCFC at all.

Doubt that CA wants to fail at CCFC. Would not look good on his otherwise good CV. More like he has joined a war which he probably cannot understand or understood before he got roped in. He has written books, taught at Ivy League universities and now comes to a bitching match where no-one likes one another and everyone is trying to get one up on everyone else. How can he work in this climate? I can see the next book in a couple of years " How not to make friends and influence people".

tisza

He says the club doesn't receive any money from it. So whatever the price being charged that all goes to ACL.
right what's changed then and when?
Previously we were getting catering at cost and selling it on. the club is stilling hospitality packages.

Users who are viewing this thread