Rob Gurney (2 Viewers)

AOM

Always felt sorry for Oggy whenever Clive would leave him to do the phone ins on his own as he's too polite to know when to cut off some of the crazies.

Think they're both great though. The Exeter commentators pre-season were proper Partridge

Grendel

Grendel

So just bullshit instead, standard.

He would get irritated all the time when anybody mentioned them.

It’s a difficult situation though isn’t it. BBC assigned a local commentary team and rugby slots to them - I don’t think any presenter criticised our move to Northampton from what I recall

Nick

Administrator
It’s a difficult situation though isn’t it. BBC assigned a local commentary team and rugby slots to them - I don’t think any presenter criticised our move to Northampton from what I recall

Pretty sure they were sympathetic and agreed with people when they rang in, they didn't start having a go at them.

the rumpo kid

Heard many supporters on other forums laughing at the low quality of commentary when watching there team on our I follow . Clive can't get our players name right what chance have other teams got. He's crap.

Tile Hill Phil

Honestly - these Cov fans are unbelievable. Clive has been consistently dogshit for many years. I have had to stop listening. He can’t even get the players’ names right for good sake! Get him out the exit door ASAP along with Boddy!
I think that’s part of the fun of
listening to his commentary

itsabuzzard

Honestly - these Cov fans are unbelievable. Clive has been consistently dogshit for many years. I have had to stop listening. He can’t even get the players’ names right for good sake! Get him out the exit door ASAP along with Boddy!
Couldn't disagree more. It's part of Clive's charm that he gets players and even teams' names wrong. Oggy's almost as bad! They're a good combination. Leave them be.

Nick

Administrator
Couldn't disagree more. It's part of Clive's charm that he gets players and even teams' names wrong. Oggy's almost as bad! They're a good combination. Leave them be.

"Charm"

Will tell that to my boss when I get things wrong in my job all the time.

Dhinsa's_Millions

I really enjoyed Rob Gurney's commentary, but at times he seemed to be really downbeat during games - being a fan when your team is playing shit is bad at the best of times, and I don't think he was able to keep his emotions in check. I distinctly remember a game when Tony Cottee scored 2 or 3, and I thought he was going to off himself.

Wasn't he initially replaced by Geoff Foster, with Clive then coming in a year or so later? Or is my memory playing tricks?
Think Gurney had to leave as Strachan wanted him out. The whole club was in turmoil at the time.

Thought he was an excellent commentator. Think we've all learned to love Clive over time - probably because we occasionally had to listen to Geoff Foster attempt commentary!

Can imagine that Clive will be retiring soon so this is some sort of transition. Gurney covers Villa and West Brom and is well regarded so it's a step up having him back.

Good to hear CWR are having a 6-7pm sports programme on weekdays much like the WM coverage.

Hiraeth

I loved Rob Gurney commentating back in the day, agree he could get a little too down when we weren't playing well.
Remember Adam Dent talking a lot on phone ins about how he preferred Rugby. Wasn't keen.

Clive may have done a bit of the whole 'Wasps are here to stay, people need to accept it' line that sounds ridiculous as did Oggy if memory serves me right but I think the majority of the whole indemnity stuff and pro-Wasps/anti-SISU slants was more from Stuart Linnell than Clive or Oggy to be fair to them.

The thing that got on my nerves was the post match phone ins when we were going on a great run in the league one promotion season after the Shrewsbury defeat and some people wanted to talk about the football we were playing and they always ended up getting asked and drawn into what we thought about not playing in Coventry. That got so tedious as everyone hated not being in Coventry and weren't allowed to express the suggestion that Wasps did anything wrong ever which left me feeling why ask the question about it if you only allow one view. So glad that's all in the past and not before time.

Clive has grown on me I must admit and switching to Home / Away commentaries on ifollow has given me an appreciation for him given how much better he often is than the alternatives and I like him now even with the odd accidental partridge that he throws in to spice things up.

fatso

I've kind of got used to listening to Clive over the years, yes he often gets the names fucked up, and Oggy's pronunciations are hilarious at times, but you only have to listen to opposition's commentary to realise they are far better than some alternatives.

The CWR stance on Wasps was disgraceful, and badly let down Cov Rugby imo.

As for cutting off callers, let's be honest 99% of those who call in are complete fucking bellends and need cutting off.

Travs

I've kind of got used to listening to Clive over the years, yes he often gets the names fucked up, and Oggy's pronunciations are hilarious at times, but you only have to listen to opposition's commentary to realise they are far better than some alternatives.

As for cutting off callers, let's be honest 99% of those who call in are complete fucking bellends and need cutting off.

I agree with all of this.

That said, it can only be a good thing that Rob Gurney is back.

CCFC54321

I agree CWR didn't read the room in relation to London Wasps.

Grendel

I think the highlight of gurney on a phone in was suggesting Marlon Devonish could sign as a player as he’s really quick. At least Dent said he couldn’t partake in such a nonsense discussion

letsallsingtogether

Heard many supporters on other forums laughing at the low quality of commentary when watching there team on our I follow . Clive can't get our players name right what chance have other teams got. He's crap.
Really have they listened to their own?

Most are very biased every tackle deserves a card etc, turn them off most of the time.

Users who are viewing this thread