Robins dilemma (1 Viewer)

hamertime

Wright should start before Simms, Godden should be a given. If Simms comes in and score and Godden or Wright don’t score then Simms should start.

Its really simple just starts who scores and the other has to work their way back in.

At the end of the day Wright has scored and won a penalty, Simms nothing with more minutes.

Fully expect Wright to start Saturday.

Boicey

Talking about a 'dilemma' at this point is a bit odd. Robins targeted, researched and bought in these two players a few weeks ago. You'd hope there was quite a lot of clarity and planning on how he was going to use them in the squad.
I think everything we've seen so far suggests it will be either/or Simms, Wright to start not both. We'll see

Macca1987

I trust in Robins, he will look at our opponents, then, who is doing what in training during the week and make the correct call PUSB

ptr

I should think Godden and Simms start again, but this time Godden comes off for the Wright. Simms needs a goal, deffo a confidence player.

Esoterica

Talking about a 'dilemma' at this point is a bit odd. Robins targeted, researched and bought in these two players a few weeks ago. You'd hope there was quite a lot of clarity and planning on how he was going to use them in the squad.
I think everything we've seen so far suggests it will be either/or Simms, Wright to start not both. We'll see
Fanbase is just not used to having a squad with genuine options in it. With the odd exception, our starting XI has picked itself for years. Having competition for places and different options for different teams can only be a good thing.

twistandshout

Robins said after the game on Saturday that Simms is starting because hes been with us longer than Wright and its important that Godden plays with them to show them how we play.

Astute

Simms and Wright will be our starting strikers when everyone is up to speed. This only changes if Godden has an impact similar to that in our second Championship season.

Simms will be absolutely fine and the naysayers will come to look silly in a few months time. Wright will also be a class act for us.
Godden has suffered recently with us playing to Gyokeres's strengths. Now we're playing a different set up Godden will score goals. He seems to have a good understanding with Wright already. Even the OG against Middlesbrough was an attempted pass to Wright. If it had missed the defender it would have most probably be another goal for Wright and assist for Godden.

If Wright and Godden continue as they are it will be Simms fighting for a starting place.

Happy_Martian

Simms is a long term replacement for Godden. Regardless of how much we or Robins like him, Godden's body is not strong enough to last a full season any more. A small injury soon grows into a more lengthy period out. So while God is fit now, Simms will be the backup. That will change, and I'd even guess as soon as Xmas. When pitches get more heavy, Goddens legs will have to be protected. And to a similar amount, so will CoH's.

I think coming on and scoring will also have the added bonus of speeding up Simm's confidence boost. We talk about the first goalscorer but we praise the one who wins the game for us.

steve cooper

I don't really understand getting hung-up on the starting line up. If a player with fresh legs comes on and makes a meaningful contribution, surely that's all that matters. With the amount of substitutes teams can make now, we need players from the bench that can change the game.

Boicey

I don't really understand getting hung-up on the starting line up. If a player with fresh legs comes on and makes a meaningful contribution, surely that's all that matters. With the amount of substitutes teams can make now, we need players from the bench that can change the game.
You reckon payers put on the bench feel the same way?

Deity

Young lads yes, apart from that , no. Most players are selfish and only happy when playing in my experience.

just as players don’t mind the rotation principle as long as it’s not them that is rotated !

blunted

MR likes to have four strikers changing two for two as the game progresses. I expect another forward to come in before the window closes. Horses for courses depending on opposition, fitness and if players have been away on international duty.

fernandopartridge

Simms is a long term replacement for Godden. Regardless of how much we or Robins like him, Godden's body is not strong enough to last a full season any more. A small injury soon grows into a more lengthy period out. So while God is fit now, Simms will be the backup. That will change, and I'd even guess as soon as Xmas. When pitches get more heavy, Goddens legs will have to be protected. And to a similar amount, so will CoH's.

I think coming on and scoring will also have the added bonus of speeding up Simm's confidence boost. We talk about the first goalscorer but we praise the one who wins the game for us.
Nobody is a direct replacement for anybody else

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

stupot07

Surely the bigger question is when Allen and O'Hare are back and fit, will he go back to the box and then who will be the lone striker.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

steve cooper

It's all about competition for places, and quality in depth. Rather than players being unhappy on the bench they need to compete and earn a place in the team and perform well when called upon. Most players realise this. You're a new member so may not know this :unsure: but last season we were complaining that we didn't have enough quality in depth. Can't have it both ways.

Deity

He had a poor end to last season and was poor at Leicester. Most fans, myself included, want him to do well, but that doesn’t mean we should pretend he has been.

I have never bought the logic that a striker getting into good positions but not scoring still means he’s had a good match. We don’t say a keeper has played well if he gets in a position to make an obvious save, and then doesn’t and we concede.

hamertime

He had a poor end to last season and was poor at Leicester. Most fans, myself included, want him to do well, but that doesn’t mean we should pretend he has been.

I have never bought the logic that a striker getting into good positions but not scoring still means he’s had a good match. We don’t say a keeper has played well if he gets in a position to make an obvious save, and then doesn’t and we concede.
He was injured for 3 months😂

The way we played meant Vic was usually on his own so he didn’t get a chance of a run in a team what do you expect.

Hes started the season great and fit yet people still doubt him. He is right about cov fans isnt he.

Boicey

He was injured for 3 months😂

The way we played meant Vic was usually on his own so he didn’t get a chance of a run in a team what do you expect.

Hes started the season great and fit yet people still doubt him. He is right about cov fans isnt he.
He hasnt started the season great though has he? He's had one stinker and one good game- though good job his scuffed shot went in else we might have been saying otherwise.
Last season he had a bucketload of anonymous games where he barely had a touch. Fans had every right to criticise and its no surprise he needs to prove himself.
In the end I think most recognise he has been a good servant, cares and wish him well.

Brighton Sky Blue

Fingers in the ears.
That always works out well. Ask Micky Adams.
Its a silly thing to do as in the end it just puts yourself under more pressure.
Harry Maguire did the same thing too for England last year. Worked out well

Deity

Must be aimed at his gaffer too because Robins hasn’t spent £11m on 2 strikers because he thought Godden would be one of his first choice pair !!

Flying Fokker

So was our other striker. We’d be in the Prem if either of them were on form. It wasn’t all about Hamer.

Users who are viewing this thread