Robins has to own that one (2 Viewers)

SBbucks

None of the goals last night was down to Wilson and against physical sides Kitching can get sucked into indiscipline.

None of the goals were down to Wilson???? Who was planted on his line for the first one? Who should have controlled the third one by telling Thomas there was no danger? For the second, who should have told Dasilva to clear it, or dealt with it himself? It was in the 6 yard box ffs.
His passiveness and lack of communication were at least partly to blame for all 3 of them.

Legia Sky Blue

Going off comments from Blackburn fans on Twitter. He plays in a 4 with Hyam and 2 fullbacks.

Are there fans on Twitter as reliable as ours?

BBC line up for their last match against Cardiff as follows:

Blackburn​

Formation 3-4-2-1
1Pears
5Hyam55McFadzean16S Wharton
2Brittain6Tronstad30Garrett45Chrisene
8Szmodics44Ayari
9Gallagher

BBC lists the same formation in the 3 games Fadz played before for Blackburn too. Fadz severe lack of pace would be an ovious risk in a back 4, but as we saw with us not so much of a risk when playing in a back 3. It will be ironic if we now return to a back 3, that we will have let Fadz go when he was someone that served us so well in such a formation.

Deity

As Otis has said, Godden needs to be given a chance and if he can't do it against non-league opposition, his time is limited.

Mind you, we're the fanbase that said Fadz couldn't play in a back 4 in the Championship and that's exactly what he's doing at Blackburn and getting praise for his performances too.
If you think Godden is the answer you don’t understand the question.

CCFCSteve

Hopefully the last time we’ll see Jay Da Silva start this season. A truly shocking player.

I think that’s a bit OTT. He’s played well last 2–3 games and has given Bidwell a break, which his performances suggested he needed. He also provides good options further up the pitch.

Agree that he had an absolute shocker last night though. That defence needed a leader, which Kitching is, especially with Wilson in goal. I hate knocking Wilson as he’s comes across as a great lad and had an amazing season last year but he’s never commanded his six yard box, let alone his area and defence looked very shaky with him behind

SBbucks

Are there fans on Twitter as reliable as ours?

BBC line up for their last match against Cardiff as follows:

Blackburn​

Formation 3-4-2-1
1Pears
5Hyam55McFadzean16S Wharton
2Brittain6Tronstad30Garrett45Chrisene
8Szmodics44Ayari
9Gallagher

BBC lists the same formation in the 3 games Fadz played before for Blackburn too. Fadz severe lack of pace would be an ovious risk in a back 4, but as we saw with us not so much of a risk when playing in a back 3. It will be ironic if we now return to a back 3, that we will have let Fadz go when he was someone that served us so well in such a formation.

The BBC lineups are guesswork. I watched their game against Birmingham, he was clearly in a back 4 with Hyam.

Grendel

I think that’s a bit OTT. He’s played well last 2–3 games and has given Bidwell a break, which his performances suggested he needed. He also provides good options further up the pitch.

Agree that he had an absolute shocker last night though. That defence needed a leader, which Kitching is, especially with Wilson in goal. I hate knocking Wilson as he’s comes across as a great lad and had an amazing season last year but he’s never commanded his six yard box, let alone his area and defence looked very shaky with him behind

Dasilva a poor player defensively and despite making pretty patterns and tidy interplay not that impactful further up the pitch.

He fits this pattern of obsessing with ex Chelsea youth players

Tying him into a 4 year deal beggars belief really.

Nick

Administrator
None of the goals last night was down to Wilson and against physical sides Kitching can get sucked into indiscipline.

He has no communication.

The first was his fault.
The OG, he could have called for it and just picked it up.

CCFCSteve

Dasilva a poor player defensively and despite making pretty patterns and tidy interplay not that impactful further up the pitch.

He fits this pattern of obsessing with ex Chelsea youth players

Tying him into a 4 year deal beggars belief really.

4 year deal was a bit toppy but he’s played well last few games and Bidwell hadnt looked right/needed a breather.

Horses for courses though. This is where I come back to robins. Big physical opposition and we play a small LB, leave our physical CB leader on the bench and pick a keeper that doesn’t really command his area. Strange choice of line up albeit not helped by some absolutely stinking performances inc ref

Sure we’ll sort it though. Massive week next week

Grendel

4 year deal was a bit toppy but he’s played well last few games and Bidwell hadnt looked right/needed a breather.

Horses for courses though. This is where I come back to robins. Big physical opposition and we play a small LB, leave our physical CB leader on the bench and pick a keeper that doesn’t really command his area. Strange choice of line up albeit not helped by some absolutely stinking performances inc ref

He hasn’t really played well considering he will be a highly paid player at this level.

He’s easily bullied and has zero pace. The Bidwell argument isn’t even the point. Bidwell obviously has some limitations but far greater positional awareness and energy levels. We should have bought better.

Sky Blue Harry H

The players undoubtedly got it wrong but Robins got the initial team selection wrong, waited too long to act, then got the change in formation wrong.
Waited too long to change it ?!? Goal after a minute, and the second goal wasn't the result of a formation issue - we were done after that. along with the Saka injury. It wasn't like we could bring on De Bruyne to change the game.

Nick

Administrator
Waited too long to change it ?!? Goal after a minute, and the second goal wasn't the result of a formation issue - we were done after that. along with the Saka injury. It wasn't like we could bring on De Bruyne to change the game.

Starting 11 issue caused all 3 goals.

CCFCSteve

He hasn’t really played well considering he will be a highly paid player at this level.

He’s easily bullied and has zero pace. The Bidwell argument isn’t even the point. Bidwell obviously has some limitations but far greater positional awareness and energy levels. We should have bought better.

He was bought for a different system which doesn’t help. Agree that Bidwells better, definitely at LB. I’m not going to get too upset about a free transfer, even on a longer contract. I also think he can still contribute but better in certain game situations and against certain opposition.

We’ll just have to agree to disagree….after last night performance i probably won’t have too many backers but 🤷‍♂️

Sky Blue Harry H

Think there is an argument for looking at Sam McCallum again come the summer. Decent attacking and strong in the air. Does wander a bit though (as a result of attacking)

fatso

If Kelly has indeed got a foot infection, as has been mooted, he couldn't have started with Kelly and Palmer in the middle as a two? That scares the life out of me.
Obviously if Kelly was unavailable to start that's understandable, however Lats and Eccles were the stuff of nightmares last night.

I like Lats, but to be honest he's an ideal sub rather than a starter. (Same could be said of Eccles tbf) but as things stand, needs must, so we'll have to be patient.
going forward we need more quality in depth not just numbers, I'm sure that will be the case next season.

fatso

Wtf???
Did you see that first goal???
Wilson can't command his own goal line never mind his 6 yard box!

And there's constant confusion between him and the central defenders, as he's permanently rooted to the spot.

He got away with so much last season because he had 5 defenders and 2 defensive midfielders in front of him.

And we had Gyokeres up front which allowed us to get bodies behind the ball and hit teams on the break.

Hertsccfc

Agree with all that.

Also worth bearing in mind Bidwell was also poor. Better than Dasilva on the night but not that much to be honest.

fatso

Why bring him on if he's got an infection?
Tbf the game was well over when he came on. but it gave him 10 minutes to get him mentally up to speed, ready for Monday night.
And saved Eccles from getting a late injury.
That's about all that can be said fir that decision I guess.
Personally I'd of dragged O'hare off at half time to rest him, imagine loosing him and Sakamoto to long term injury!!! 😱

Hertsccfc

Think there is an argument for looking at Sam McCallum again come the summer. Decent attacking and strong in the air. Does wander a bit though (as a result of attacking)
I'd love McCallum back. Far better than we have at the moment. Surprised his career hasn't taken off yet but I think injuries are part of the reason.

Hobo

Wtf???
Did you see that first goal???
Wilson can't command his own goal line never mind his 6 yard box!

And there's constant confusion between him and the central defenders, as he's permanently rooted to the spot.

He got away with so much last season because he had 5 defenders and 2 defensive midfielders in front of him.

And we had Gyokeres up front which allowed us to get bodies behind the ball and hit teams on the break.

It wasn't all down to him. It wasn't a ball coming across the six yard box. It came across from one corner of the penalty area to just outside the six yard box. Thomas just didn't compete, I don't know what he was doing?

usskyblue

Every player underperformed last night except, perhaps, for Simms for his work rate and MVE for trying to drive us forward in the 2nd half.

We had a bad game and Preston (to their credit) played well. Like Southampton and Lestah found out, it doesn’t matter what a great run you’ve had recently, sometimes shit happens.

Learn your lessons, then throw it away and move on.

Last edited:

Otis

Surely that would be done at Ryton?
In training and/or in games. Game time is different to training obviously.

I think sometimes a slight injury or knock needs to be tested in match conditions.

If we had the numbers, I am sure neither Kelly or Torp would have been on the bench.

fatso

Then you can add Wilson, Kelly, Moore, Da Silva, Allen to that list ….
Very true, so thats 6 at least to go, and Ohare and possibly Binks to replace, it's going to be another busy pre season, and hopefully we can get the work done earlier and have the squad actually training together before we go on tour!

Now that would be nice.

Alan Dugdales Moustache

I don't get why you go in against a physical team with dasilva and leave kitching on the bench.
I agree. We were " scared stiff" being the actual words Robins used.
We were woeful in every department . Preston passed better, found space , were quicker and stronger. They were more "savvy" .

fatso

Tbf, I don't think he was brought in as a LB, he's more of an attacking LWB, he's too easily exposed defensively at LB without a left sided centre back to cover him. It says it all when Bristol City fans said he wasn't even first choice for them.

What probably helped his cause was that he was available on a free transfer at the time,
And his wages demands were affordable.

He's better off as cover for Wright on the left side of midfield for the rest of this season, and will be expendable once EMC arrives in the summer imo.
I can imagine opposition teams will look to target him from now on as he's been exposed as a weakness.
Let's hope MR has learnt from recent performances.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread