Match Thread Rotherham United FC - Coventry City Match Thread - Wednesday 25th Oct (3 Viewers)

ProfessorbyGrace

Just for reference it wasn’t me that mentioned Rus either, I may be a knobhead to some but I’m not this particular knobhead 😂

(Anyone know if Rus is any good btw? I’m genuinely keen to see what some of these unknown players are like 😂)
I believe it was me that inquired about Marco Rus, regarding his ‘readiness’ etc at this level. Last I heard (which was admittedly a while ago) was that he was rated somewhat.

The response I had was along the lines of ‘he’s never fit enough’, or something like that.

BlueSkiesForever

I believe it was me that inquired about Marco Rus, regarding his ‘readiness’ etc at this level. Last I heard (which was admittedly a while ago) was that he was rated somewhat.

The response I had was along the lines of ‘he’s never fit enough’, or something like that.

Ah fair enough, I’ve no idea how good he is but would be interested to see what some of these unused players can do, even just for 5 mins or something. Maybe when we’re 3-0 up at 85 minutes it’d be good to test out Obikwu or Rus, surely can’t hurt?

slowpoke

Just for reference it wasn’t me that mentioned Rus either, I may be a knobhead to some but I’m not this particular knobhead 😂

(Anyone know if Rus is any good btw? I’m genuinely keen to see what some of these unknown players are like 😂)
Technically he is very good, bit on the light side though. Needs to bulk up imo.

itsabuzzard

Good to see at least some posters using the appropriate knob with a silent "k", rather than nob, which is a different thing altogether.

ptr

Wilson
Milan Joel Fadz Binks Dasilva
Sheaf Eccles Ayari
Wright Simms

Think Ayari needs another start as he seems the most likely to be able to thread a pass through to our strikers. Harsh on Sakamoto but a great option to have come on.

I do think at some point we will see Kitching in for Fadz. May well be tomorrow.

Lastly, Simms and Wright have to start for me. If they can’t do it against these then I would really look at going back to a box as that’s what suits O’hare - whose return is imminent. Would like to think there are goals in it for them tomoz.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Yeah exactly, this is my beef with 5 at the back, I know it’s a small thing but before you’ve even started the game you’re saying to the opposition we’d rather have defenders on the pitch than attackers. To me it sends off an image of team that isn’t confident enough to trust their defence with only 4 defenders, it’s like we need that extra defence-minded player because we’re unsure about going forward so we’d just rather not concede.

I don’t ever enjoy 5 at the back but I think it’s absolutely fine playing it if you have DMs that can also attack, Eccles is just not consistently good enough to be able attack and defend for 90 mins, the system worked with Hamer because he had that ability to defend but also get up the pitch, pick an amazing pass and also shoot exceptionally well but Eccles is nowhere near that level. I think we need to return to the box now, Robins needs to get over playing his favourites every game, play Simms as the sole striker, maybe play Kitching over Fadz every now and again, maybe put Lati in DM alongside Sheaf.

We need to see some creativity, not just from the lads but from the management as well.
If we played it better and let the WB's get forward more it would be more a back three.

fatso

Wilson
Milan Joel Fadz Binks Dasilva
Sheaf Eccles Ayari
Wright Simms

Think Ayari needs another start as he seems the most likely to be able to thread a pass through to our strikers. Harsh on Sakamoto but a great option to have come on.

I do think at some point we will see Kitching in for Fadz. May well be tomorrow.

Lastly, Simms and Wright have to start for me. If they can’t do it against these then I would really look at going back to a box as that’s what suits O’hare - whose return is imminent. Would like to think there are goals in it for them tomoz.
Ayari is wasted as there's zero movement in front of him.

Statistically we should play Godden and Owngoals up front.

Great_Expectations

There’s nothing wrong with the formation, it’s served us well and we’ve made it work with players less adept, and less talented, than the current squad.

The issue (in my view) is the tactics around it, especially with the WB’s. We arguably have our first choice WB’s available now, both of whom can be effective offensively, but we aren’t letting the hand brake off enough.

The whole ‘taking time’ and ‘need to gel’ lines are repeated and are annoying, but they hold true. We’ve not had a settled starting XI yet, nor have we had a chance to start our strongest one either.

We’ll be too strong tomorrow and hopefully it’s more game time for Sheaf and MVE, we get a successful COH cameo and Simms and Wright have good confidence boosting games.

2-0, Simms, Wright.

stevefloyd

I suggest you watch the game back, the wing backs were involved in a lot of our good forward play

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk
I suggest you read what I have written, we could easily deploy the same full backs as a 4 but not as wingbacks because they are only going so far and not really providing any crosses

BlueSkiesForever

The issue (in my view) is the tactics around it, especially with the WB’s. We arguably have our first choice WB’s available now, both of whom can be effective offensively, but we aren’t letting the hand brake off enough.

The whole ‘taking time’ and ‘need to gel’ lines are repeated and are annoying, but they hold true. We’ve not had a settled starting XI yet, nor have we had a chance to start our strongest one either.

We’ll be too strong tomorrow and hopefully it’s more game time for Sheaf and MVE, we get a successful COH cameo and Simms and Wright have good confidence boosting games.

I definitely agree that the WBs don’t attack enough, we’ve got great WBs and they get into attacking positions but they don’t seem to ever do anything threatening with the ball. Oggy made a good point after the game on Saturday, we should be whipping the ball in a lot quicker and aiming for the heads of Simms and Wright, using their height instead of crossing it in at knee height all the time, there’s just very little variation in the play atm.

Sounds strange I know but at times it feels like we pen teams into their own third really well but then there’s almost no space for us to do anything decent with the ball. We don’t seem to have anyone other than Saka that can work the ball in tight spaces. We always come unstuck against teams that can sit deep and defend well. It’s almost like we need more space when we attack to allow our players to pull defenders out of position, giving space for a little 1-2 or a through ball for WBs to run on to. It does happen now and again but just not often enough in my view.

I’m confident that we’ll beat Rotherham because they’re just awful but it’s still a concern how our attack can improve when it comes to facing better opposition.

Ashdown

Im sure Robins will make changes and i can see Lats and Allen if fit coming in. The other change that id be tempted to make is Bidwell coming in. Im not trying to create a Bidwell discussion or say i don't rate DaSilva. I just i think he would bring a level of consistency that would help the team right now. He is a calm head and makes the right decision more often than not. We need that trait especially with the final ball in and around the opposition area. To often we get into good positions but pick the wrong pass or not find our target.

For me he is definitely worth a go as we know what he does and what he brings.
There’s nothing wrong with the formation, it’s served us well and we’ve made it work with players less adept, and less talented, than the current squad.

2-0, Simms, Wright.
No wonder you named yourself that 😂

Ashdown

I don’t predict scores, I’m rubbish at it . We have some good players through the team until we get to the forwards ( Apart from Matty who has done well ). As long as Fadz or Thomas don’t make any calamitous slips at the back and someone can chip in with a goal we have a chance of 3 points.
Simms has improved slightly of late but so he should for a £3.4 million pound striker.
Fingers crossed 🤞

Macca1987

Agree with the time taken to get forward, again we don't have a Hamer type now, we seem to wait until teams have at least 8 men behind the ball and then want to thread it through the eye of a needle, the answer (I don't know at the minute) maybe our saviour coming in in January is the answer. I have been to most games home and away this season and I don't think we are that far away, balls hitting posts instead of going in, the amount of clearances off the line, these all add up to points lost. I still believe we will come good, needs a bit of luck and a bit more belief from some players

thekidfromstrettoncamp

I agree with you Macca1987 on getting forward quicker but movement from our forward player would help. I've seen times when Eccles in particular has looked for a decisive pass forward and there are none.

SlowerThanPlatt

Their goalkeeper Johansson must only ever be good against us as I check their squad every time we play and he’s still there

skybluepm2

Someone is going to get a good pasting soon. Hopefully tonight. 0-4. Lati in for Thomas, Allen for Sakamoto. Potentially Wright for Simms to see if he can find his scoring boots against the worst side in the division. Cameo from COH to set up the 4th.

Eccles to stay clear of any set pieces. Leave them to Da Silva and MVE.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

I can't see MR changing the team around much, maybe just bringing Lati back in, given how he said he was impressed with the performance against Bristol. Unless the likes of O'hare are suddenly deemed fit enough but even then I can only see them making the bench.

MR was also talking about pace in the wide forward positions, and I wonder if he's maybe wondering about trying Wright in a role like that to see if it works better for him, as we're not seeing a lot from him the way we're using him so far. That would have to lead to a change in formation, with probably Tatsu as a left forward, meaning one of Godden or Simms will likely miss out as I can't see either of them playing as a wide forward.

I think I'd like to see a back three of Binks, Kitching and Lati as we need to start finding out who can take over from Fadz. Kitching was captain at Barnsley and is supposedly a leader and although left-sided has the physique to play in the middle.

I agree with BSF about how us keeping possession, especially high up the pitch, makes it harder for us to break teams down because there is so little space to create an opportunity, while at the same time leaving a lot of space behind us for a potential counter attack. I'm all for having possession, but we also need to be willing to get the ball to the attackers quickly when even a half chance arises to get the opposition out of position. We've not got the incisive passing of Hamer anymore to unlock defences but surely we've got someone capable of playing a ball accurately enough to space for forwards to run onto.

When we have players back I'd like to see Tatsu at LWB, especially at home, with MvE down the right. This should cause problems for the opposition if we can get them forward enough. Due to the desire to get them forward, I'd play the two DCM of Sheaf and Eccles, and I'd be tempted to go with two ACM's of Allen and O'Hare, with Simms as a lone striker. But that's for the future.

fernandopartridge

Someone is going to get a good pasting soon. Hopefully tonight. 0-4. Lati in for Thomas, Allen for Sakamoto. Potentially Wright for Simms to see if he can find his scoring boots against the worst side in the division. Cameo from COH to set up the 4th.

Eccles to stay clear of any set pieces. Leave them to Da Silva and MVE.

I thought Simms was pretty good at Bristol first half, I don't think chopping and changing him and Wright to get one of them to find form makes much sense, especially now Godden has stopped scoring. I'd keep the team that started at Bristol.

Users who are viewing this thread