Rules of the Game (1 Viewer)

olderskyblue

Just wondering what the actual rules are these days.

Our short corner routine we did a few times Saturday when sheff nudges it to Baker, he stops the ball, and sheff runs and crosses it.

I know it's been done for years, but isnt he technically offside? I thought some teams were being pulled up for this last season?

And, the "Murphy picking the back pass up" incident. Shouldn't our defenders have been along the goal line? The ref allowed us to line up at an angle from the near post, which meant they were well within 10yds.

Do we have a ref on here who can educate me? :thinking about:

If Sheff is between the last defender and the Keeper, he is offside. If the last defender is still on the posts then he's not offside.

olderskyblue

If Sheff is between the last defender and the Keeper, he is offside. If the last defender is still on the posts then he's not offside.

Sheff was last man. their defender moved off the post about a foot, just before he took the corner.

Sky Blue Kid

If the ball is played backwards(towards our goal) he is not offside, BUT...the ball MUST rotate ONE FULL TURN before the second player touches the ball, otherwise the corner/free kick must be re-taken.;)

MusicDating

Euro 2016 Prediction League Champion!!
If the ball is played backwards(towards our goal) he is not offside, BUT...the ball MUST rotate ONE FULL TURN before the second player touches the ball, otherwise the corner/free kick must be re-taken.;)

Not true. They changed it a year or two back. Now the ball only needs to be touched.

Rule 16 - "The ball is in play when it is kicked or touched"

You cannot score an own goal directly from a corner though, didn't know that.

Sky Blue Kid

Rules have certainly changed a lot over the last few years.....It might get to the point that you can't kick the ball:D:D:D

skybluesam66

that means the willie car /Ernie hunt donkey kick - which was outlawed due to the full revolution issue can now be re - worked - so long as it is flicked up with 1 foot, and not 2 as in the original (we did use the 1 touch flick until that was outlawed due to the above rule)

Brighton Sky Blue

As an ex-ref (for the last 5-6 years), I'd say that Baker trapping the ball before McSheffrey plays it is fine-obviously if it's passed back then the normal offside rule applies. And as for direct goals from corners-again, not possible (in either goal).

Though one thing not many people know-drop balls can in theory be contested by as many players as the team wishes, so you could actually have a 22 player battle royale over one! The rules also allow for goal shapes other than rectangles-anyone fancy elliptical goals at the Ricoh in the near future?

wingy

As an ex-ref (for the last 5-6 years), I'd say that Baker trapping the ball before McSheffrey plays it is fine-obviously if it's passed back then the normal offside rule applies. And as for direct goals from corners-again, not possible (in either goal).

Though one thing not many people know-drop balls can in theory be contested by as many players as the team wishes, so you could actually have a 22 player battle royale over one! The rules also allow for goal shapes other than rectangles-anyone fancy elliptical goals at the Ricoh in the near future?

That would be trendsetting!!

scroobiustom

Also you cant score an owl goal from a goal kick, same rule - the ball is not in play until its touched

Vale87

A goal can be scored direct from a corner by the attacking side, so the above comment is not quite correct

kg82

A goal can be scored direct from a corner by the attacking side, so the above comment is not quite correct

I was going to say. Pretty sure I've seen Chris Brunt do it against us. And I'm sure it happened against England when Seaman was in goal - Macedonia maybe?

Sky Blue Pete

My twopenneth. Macca not offside as ball hasn't gone forward. One can score direct from a corner. The funny rule with corners is you cannot be offside from one or from a goal kick. Another fun rule around me is the non-existing 6 second rule for keepers. I say non-existant cause it was removed but there is still a rule about taking reasonable time that most referre's appear not to have read. Final question, we all know you cannot score an og from a goal kick and that the ball is only in play after it has gone out of the penalty area but what happens if it goes out of the 18 yard box but not out of the semi circle attached?

ricohroar

The circle attached to the 18 yard box is to indicate the correct distance players must be from the ball during a penalty. It is a circle around the penaly spot, so it matters not is the ball is inside here, so long as its outside the 18 yard box.

Sky Blue Pete

The circle attached to the 18 yard box is to indicate the correct distance players must be from the ball during a penalty. It is a circle around the penaly spot, so it matters not is the ball is inside here, so long as its outside the 18 yard box.
show off! Lol

skybluegod

you are allowed to score a goal from a corner joey barton did it earlier this year

Sky Blue Kid

There was a time when if a player stood astride the centre line at kick off, he was deemed to be offside, is this law, still law? If so 99% of all kickoffs are offside.:eek:

kg82

There was a time when if a player stood astride the centre line at kick off, he was deemed to be offside, is this law, still law? If so 99% of all kickoffs are offside.:eek:

That's a funny one, how could they deem you offside with 11 players in front of you?! I bet that's not a rule anymore!

Astute

All players must be in their own half at kickoff.

Users who are viewing this thread