Running (6 Viewers)

Travs

I ran for Warwickshire yesterday in the inter-counties mountain running championships.

Men's team was made up of four Cov Godiva guys..... Ladies team was one each from Godiva, Nuneaton harriers and Stratford AC.

Ladies had a fantastic showing and were 6th team, beating some established fellrunning "counties" such as Lancashire, Northern Ireland and North-East Counties.

Men were up against it without any "superstars" in our line-up but came 18th county, not bad for a place so far from the mountains.

Sky_Blue_Daz

No running for the next 4 weeks or so due to having my ankle operation,

napolimp

Are there any particular trainers I should get to start running? I've got a charity football match in 3 weeks, and I currently can't run further than 20 metres without coughing up a lung. Any tips for building up some stamina over 3 weeks as well? Thanks.

DawlishSkyBlue

Are there any particular trainers I should get to start running? I've got a charity football match in 3 weeks, and I currently can't run further than 20 metres without coughing up a lung. Any tips for building up some stamina over 3 weeks as well? Thanks.
I find Nike Air pegasus a great comfortable fit, and if you ain't fussed about the latest versions you can pick a pair up cheap. I also wear a pair of carbon plated Pumas for races, they're not as comfy but definitely make you run faster

napolimp

I find Nike Air pegasus a great comfortable fit, and if you ain't fussed about the latest versions you can pick a pair up cheap. I also wear a pair of carbon plated Pumas for races, they're not as comfy but definitely make you run faster

Thanks. Could you point me in the right direction for a "cheap" pair? Not fussed about latest versions of anything.

Sky_Blue_Daz

I git back into running after breaking my leaf and ankle 4 years ago used the couch to 5k app also if you are looking for trainers I recommend ASICS .

napolimp

I git back into running after breaking my leaf and ankle 4 years ago used the couch to 5k app also if you are looking for trainers I recommend ASICS .

Great, cheers, just looked up and downloaded the app. Running out of time so just going to go for it. Going to get a pair of trainers tomorrow as long as don't need to work out my gait or whatever.

Travs

Thanks. Could you point me in the right direction for a "cheap" pair? Not fussed about latest versions of anything.

You should head for your nearest Nike Factory outlet.... there's one at resorts world, one at the M1 nr Mansfield.... i'm sure plenty of others around. I'd imagine they're in stock at Cov Runner on Burnaby Rd, although likely the current model and expensive.

As Dawlish says, Pegasus are just about the "standard" for a good running shoe. And whereas you might pay £100+ for the latest version, in the factory outlet you might pay anything between £50-80 for a previous model depending on how lucky you get on the day.

In terms of building stamina over 3 weeks, i can't really advise more than going out and doing some steady runs.... if you try to cram too much intense work into a low "base" of fitness you'll end up injured, in fact its probably the most common cause of injury.... too many runners want to skip the easy slow (boring) stuff and get into high intensity fast work, and haven't got the body conditioning for it.

DawlishSkyBlue

Great, cheers, just looked up and downloaded the app. Running out of time so just going to go for it. Going to get a pair of trainers tomorrow as long as don't need to work out my gait or whatever.
Good advice from Travs if you need them ASAP. You can get them cheaper online.. especially if you go for ladies ones (same shoe just different colours). Had a quick Google and saw some ladies Peg 38s at 44 quid an some mens Peg 39s at just over 50

napolimp

You should head for your nearest Nike Factory outlet.... there's one at resorts world, one at the M1 nr Mansfield.... i'm sure plenty of others around. I'd imagine they're in stock at Cov Runner on Burnaby Rd, although likely the current model and expensive.

As Dawlish says, Pegasus are just about the "standard" for a good running shoe. And whereas you might pay £100+ for the latest version, in the factory outlet you might pay anything between £50-80 for a previous model depending on how lucky you get on the day.

In terms of building stamina over 3 weeks, i can't really advise more than going out and doing some steady runs.... if you try to cram too much intense work into a low "base" of fitness you'll end up injured, in fact its probably the most common cause of injury.... too many runners want to skip the easy slow (boring) stuff and get into high intensity fast work, and haven't got the body conditioning for it.

Thanks. Going to be at Resorts World tomorrow, so will take a look whilst I'm there.

fernandopartridge

Views on gait measuring? My expensive New Balance trainers are giving me a bit of grief (one of them somehow got crushed under a heavy box in my garage and is a bit out of shape). I got them a few years back after having my gait analysed. At that point I'd never had any joint pain at all from running in just standard relatively cheap trainers.

I'm wondering now whether I should bother again or whether I should just buy a pair of half decent OTS trainers. I don't even think these NB were particularly comfortable pre being crushed and have never felt any benefit as such in wearing them.

Sick Boy

Views on gait measuring? My expensive New Balance trainers are giving me a bit of grief (one of them somehow got crushed under a heavy box in my garage and is a bit out of shape). I got them a few years back after having my gait analysed. At that point I'd never had any joint pain at all from running in just standard relatively cheap trainers.

I'm wondering now whether I should bother again or whether I should just buy a pair of half decent OTS trainers. I don't even think these NB were particularly comfortable pre being crushed and have never felt any benefit as such in wearing them.
Wouldn’t bother with it, personally. I’d just spend a bit on a decent pair - I got a pair of Hoka for around €100 and they’ve served me well and have been worth the money.

Travs

I'd agree with that.

I don't think its necessary unless you clearly have recurring injury issues.

Just do a bit of online research and buy the best pair within your budget.

Travs

I went down to Pingles Stadium yesterday to spectate at the midlands track & field championships.

Fortunately i was spared having to race in the 1500mtrs due to injury.... even a pb for me would have seen me comfortably at the back of the field. Winning time well under 4 minutes.

Interestingly there were absolutely no vests from Sphinx/Masseys/Northbrook whatsoever (unless i missed someone)..... obviously they have no track facilities, so more unlikely to have track runners, but there was representation from Midlands clubs throughout the region, not all of which have track facilities.

Will probably be out on the course at the Northbrook 10km in a few weeks time, when i expect to see plenty of local vests.

DawlishSkyBlue

I went down to Pingles Stadium yesterday to spectate at the midlands track & field championships.

Fortunately i was spared having to race in the 1500mtrs due to injury.... even a pb for me would have seen me comfortably at the back of the field. Winning time well under 4 minutes.

Interestingly there were absolutely no vests from Sphinx/Masseys/Northbrook whatsoever (unless i missed someone)..... obviously they have no track facilities, so more unlikely to have track runners, but there was representation from Midlands clubs throughout the region, not all of which have track facilities.

Will probably be out on the course at the Northbrook 10km in a few weeks time, when i expect to see plenty of local

Will probably be out on the course at the Northbrook 10km in a few weeks time, when i expect to see plenty of local vests.
Under 4 minutes, that's bloody fast at local level

Travs

Under 4 minutes, that's bloody fast at local level

Yes it is quick.... although its regional champs (the Northerns and Southerns were on as well this weekend in their respective areas), so in theory only a step down from national level.

My two clubmates ran 4:04 and 4:06 (both of which are insanely fast to me.... my 1500 pb is 4:45....!

The 5000m was won in about 14:30

DawlishSkyBlue

Yes it is quick.... although its regional champs (the Northerns and Southerns were on as well this weekend in their respective areas), so in theory only a step down from national level.

My two clubmates ran 4:04 and 4:06 (both of which are insanely fast to me.... my 1500 pb is 4:45....!

The 5000m was won in about 14:30
That's very fast. Which club do you run with?

DawlishSkyBlue

I live just at the edge of the Peaks so there are several trails within a 10-15 minute run from here. I don't do anything too extreme but will run on the relatively well beaten trails.
Nice. Bet there's some cracking trails round there. I did a nice mix of coast path and trails yesterday

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230605_205119_Strava.jpg
    Screenshot_20230605_205119_Strava.jpg
    525.7 KB · Views: 17
  • 20230604_075342.jpg
    20230604_075342.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 16
  • 20230604_082100.jpg
    20230604_082100.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 16

Travs

That's very fast. Which club do you run with?

I'm with Coventry Godiva Harriers.

In the 60's and 70's they were the top club in the country bar none. And right through to early 00's were a force on the national scene.

But at present better described as a "sleeping giant"...... still compete at national level, and probably top 5 or 6 in the midlands.... but a long way off the stellar clubs like Leeds City and Aldershot at the moment.

But the level of competition open when you run for someone like Godiva is unbelievable.... regional and national championships, the cross country league round here as well is the top league in the country.... track & field.... road relays.

And all for approx £90 a year membership.

That said, my forte is fellrunning so the cross country, track etc is just a bit of a sideline for me.

DawlishSkyBlue

I'm with Coventry Godiva Harriers.

In the 60's and 70's they were the top club in the country bar none. And right through to early 00's were a force on the national scene.

But at present better described as a "sleeping giant"...... still compete at national level, and probably top 5 or 6 in the midlands.... but a long way off the stellar clubs like Leeds City and Aldershot at the moment.

But the level of competition open when you run for someone like Godiva is unbelievable.... regional and national championships, the cross country league round here as well is the top league in the country.... track & field.... road relays.

And all for approx £90 a year membership.

That said, my forte is fellrunning so the cross country, track etc is just a bit of a sideline for me.
Big club, Godiva. I did run with Sphinx AC a few times a few years back. They seemed a good club, but then we moved to Devon

Travs

Sphinx have some good runners, and if they turned out for the club regularly in the Cross Country league, road relays, etc, they could punch far higher than their usual level.... but for whatever reason they don't seem to get their best runners out regularly....

Although that's the perennial problem for all clubs, getting best runners out regularly.... certainly affects us more often than not.

Users who are viewing this thread