Transfer Rumour Ryan Bennett (1 Viewer)

Frostie

Just had a look through myself, only other semi realistic one I can see is Curtis Nelson. Had a shocker against Reading and not been involved since

Yeah.. not for me either that one, just type his name into Twitter... 😬

Screenshot_20220829-232658.png

Of all the rumoured links I've seen, Michael Hector is probably the best of a bad bunch but comes with his own risks/baggage too.

Nothing massively fills me with confidence if we assume Robins is being honest about the "Free or as close to" comment but if that's the market we're in we probably can't be too choosy. I have massive faith in our recruitment team as well as MR/AV etc. so fingers crossed for another rabbit from a hat!

Skybluedownunder

I’d rather us sign him on loan so if he’s shithouse we aren’t stuck with like Kane, Bidwell, Waghorn etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Finham

I don’t think there are that many that are worse off than us.
As in further down the food chain. There must be some prospects in L2 at clubs who can't afford to say no? But it seems that we can't even afford them now. Free's aren't free though with their wages...

MacReady

My concern with these ‘experienced’ signings is we tend to get lumbered with silly wages which ends up costing us as much as the 1.5 mil for Hyam. I’m sad he went. Also, genuinely try not to be negative but I’m getting that bad SISU feeling again like it was all those years ago. Hope I’m wrong.

Skyblue54

Are we changing our style at the back?..we have gone from young athletic wingbacks ..maatson/mcCallum to bidwell!.. now from ball playing centre back in hyam to gnarled pro in bennet!..does mr think we are to soft defensively?..and bought in players with degrees in the dark arts...or is it just the price was right??...

skyblue1991

no im wrong apologies
Grendel admitting he is wrong?
f07f34716ba3fa14e7594a4d8a58f3a3.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Esoterica

Are we changing our style at the back?..we have gone from young athletic wingbacks ..maatson/mcCallum to bidwell!.. now from ball playing centre back in hyam to gnarled pro in bennet!..does mr think we are to soft defensively?..and bought in players with degrees in the dark arts...or is it just the price was right??...
I would say this is a case of beggars can't be choosers. Championship level ball playing centre backs who can defend well, for a minimum fee/free, with 2 days before the transfer window closes? Good luck to us with that.

I doubt Robins is thinking anything other than, 'fuck, I desperately need another defender who can do a job at this level.' and if the style has to change because of the resources we can afford under those constraints, I'm sure it will.

Drysdale and Pask not progressing has hurt us here, but in fairness they were never signed as Championship development options.

I'm not an expert on our academy but I would say it needs significant investment to be regularly bringing through Championship level quality. And at the same time, our first team budget is way too small to be 'wasting' budget signing prospects for modest fees from L1 and L2 that we can develop for a season or 2 like we have tried with Tavares.

It's all symptoms of the ceiling we have reached under these owners.

Grendel

I would say this is a case of beggars can't be choosers. Championship level ball playing centre backs who can defend well, for a minimum fee/free, with 2 days before the transfer window closes? Good luck to us with that.

I doubt Robins is thinking anything other than, 'fuck, I desperately need another defender who can do a job at this level.' and if the style has to change because of the resources we can afford under those constraints, I'm sure it will.

Drysdale and Pask not progressing has hurt us here, but in fairness they were never signed as Championship development options.

I'm not an expert on our academy but I would say it needs significant investment to be regularly bringing through Championship level quality. And at the same time, our first team budget is way too small to be 'wasting' budget signing prospects for modest fees from L1 and L2 that we can develop for a season or 2 like we have tried with Tavares.

It's all symptoms of the ceiling we have reached under these owners.

i didn’t think we would look to get another defender in tbh. I thought he’d look at midfield or RWB given Dabos fitness record

ProfessorbyGrace

Seems like a hopeful ‘plug in the hole’, but if Bennett can add a bit of grit and zeal to the back, so be it. As long as he can pass to a blue shirt…

Just a thought, do we think Doyle was signed on loan as a mainstay in the 1st team, or a back up? Perhaps he isn’t quite at the level that our scouting team thought?

Reactions: vow

CCFCSteve

Seems like a hopeful ‘plug in the hole’, but if Bennett can add a bit of grit and zeal to the back, so be it. As long as he can pass to a blue shirt…

Just a thought, do we think Doyle was signed on loan as a mainstay in the 1st team, or a back up? Perhaps he isn’t quite at the level that our scouting team thought?

Who knows. All I would say is defensive partnerships/units don’t just happen overnight, they usually need the right mix of pace, experience/brains and for us, a bit of footballing ability….and a keeper that gives them confidence

I’m as sad to see Hyam go as the next man but we could still be leaky with him in the team. Not saying it was his fault but we could be. Any new unit will take time and desperately need Moore to get back to his form of the first half of last season

Edit - two of my mates are Wycombe fans not sure of his fitness but they re-signed Alfie Mawson for a season. missed the boat this time but if he stays fit would have a look at him in the summer.

Last edited:

Londonccfcfan

There are plenty of good centre backs in lower leagues who we can develop further who currently play our style brand of football..just look at the ones from MK Don's or Oxford United.

I'd much rather BUY someone we can develop further. Than is a has been on stupid wages.

Plenty of good centre backs in league 1 that are currently better than Callum Doyle.

Question is will MR get up to 750k of The Hyam fee to tempt league 1 clubs.

shmmeee

There are plenty of good centre backs in lower leagues who we can develop further who currently play our style brand of football..just look at the ones from MK Don's or Oxford United.

I'd much rather BUY someone we can develop further. Than is a has been on stupid wages.

Plenty of good centre backs in league 1 that are currently better than Callum Doyle.

No.

Reactions: AOM

Greggs

Just had someone send a message in a group chat I'm in telling us all how we're heavily linked with him!! My sneakery has reaching news levels, perhaps it's time for me to stop with all my excellent rumours and gossip as it's starting to merge into my private life. Sneaky sneaky

LilleSkyBlue

What about Bidwell at left centre-back in the three? He had his best games there last season.

No one for left wing-back then though. Adamarola?

PUSB-We_are_going_up

I reckon Doyle could play in the middle of the 3 and use his good ball playing to spread the play to anywhere on the pitch easier, then either side of him have Panzo and (new CB)

Esoterica

i didn’t think we would look to get another defender in tbh. I thought he’d look at midfield or RWB given Dabos fitness record
Suspect we've all but given up on offloading Kane and Robins last injury update suggested Kelly and Kane were fairly close to being back.

Skyblue_CP

I reckon Doyle could play in the middle of the 3 and use his good ball playing to spread the play to anywhere on the pitch easier, then either side of him have Panzo and (new CB)
Ideally you want your big ball winning CB in the centre to then give it to the outside ball playing CBs, I’d argue that Doyle is actually the worst we have for that central position.

lord_garrincha

Ideally you want your big ball winning CB in the centre to then give it to the outside ball playing CBs, I’d argue that Doyle is actually the worst we have for that central position.
There's a fear that this will be too much, too soon for Doyle, especially if things go bad with his passing out from the back style.

Hopefully, he has the right character. I don't want to see another Matt Mills.

Frostie

That would be a proper 'model' & one that I think most sensible fans would get behind.
Unfortunately, we are struggling to sell our best assets at maximum value & also seemingly unable to pay any fees so it falls down pretty quickly.

NorthernWisdom

Just had someone send a message in a group chat I'm in telling us all how we're heavily linked with him!! My sneakery has reaching news levels, perhaps it's time for me to stop with all my excellent rumours and gossip as it's starting to merge into my private life. Sneaky sneaky
One day, we'll happen to sign one by pure chance, and your reputation will be set forever more!

Esoterica

That would be a proper 'model' & one that I think most sensible fans would get behind.
Unfortunately, we are struggling to sell our best assets at maximum value & also seemingly unable to pay any fees so it falls down pretty quickly.
Talking of falling down quickly. Used to play in a midweek 7 a side team that was handpicked from my weekend XI a side teams. We were thrashing a team after 10 mins and they just resorted to kicking lumps out of us. After a robust challenge that left one of our players in a heap, the perpetrator screamed 'Fucking hell ref, they're going down like Weebles!!'.

I casually walked up to him and whispered 'Actually, I think you'll find Weebles wobble but they don't fall down'

He turned round and punched me in the face. 😂😂

Finham

Now that's exactly what we should be doing. But we won't.

slowpoke

Suspect we've all but given up on offloading Kane and Robins last injury update suggested Kelly and Kane were fairly close to being back.
Think it’s the right think to keep hold of Kane we need cover for Dabo as well as Waghorne & Walker we need the experience on our bench can try & off load all three in January which could release a decent amount of wages to help bring some in.

Happy_Martian

Whether Bennett is the right person for the job or not, I'd really not want to push Doyle into that role. He's only 18 but from the little I've seen of him, he doesn't seem to have the height, pace or physique to be a CB yet. If he's a good tackler, I think he could be a much better DM, especially with his ball playing ability a la Sheaf. Play the box again and have Sheaf and Doyle as the anchors with Palmer, O'Hare or Hamer ahead.

Random thoughts on a slow, frustrating night.

Happy_Martian

No word yet on Bennett after he ended his contract with Swansea yesterday. Was this another of Gregg's now infamous "rumours" ?

Users who are viewing this thread