Ryan Kent: Part Eleventy Billion (1 Viewer)

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

I'm seeing an alarming amount of posters recently suggesting we're missing Ryan Kent. Now, I don't know if some of our fans have short memories, or are feeling a bit desperate as we're having a dip in form, but I feel this really needs to be put to bed, as quite frankly we do not miss him, or his 'contribution' to the team.

Myth 1: We miss his pace

- A player with pace is a useful player to have in your team, on the condition that this is used intelligently and effectively. Kent was neither of these things. Every time he got the ball, 80% - 90% of the time it would come to absolutely nothing.

Myth 2: We miss his ability to beat a man

Yes, beating a man is also a great asset for a player to have. The problem is you can beat three men, but if you then kick the ball out for a throw in, you might as well have kicked the ball out for a throw in before you beat three men, and saved yourself 30 seconds.

Myth 3: His pace drags defenders out of position and caused panic

No it doesn't. Once again if you look back at his non exsistent ability to pass the ball 5 yards, you can cause all the panic in the world, but it's not very dangerous if you can't/won't pass the ball to a team mate who is exploiting the space.

He couldn't pass, he couldn't cross, he couldn't shoot, and his decision making was even worse than Murphy's.

Please ladies and gentlemen, enough.

The Lurker

I'm seeing an alarming amount of posters recently suggesting we're missing Ryan Kent. Now, I don't know if some of our fans have short memories, or are feeling a bit desperate as we're having a dip in form, but I feel this really needs to be put to bed, as quite frankly we do not miss him, or his 'contribution' to the team.

Myth 1: We miss his pace

- A player with pace is a useful player to have in your team, on the condition that this is used intelligently and effectively. Kent was neither of these things. Every time he got the ball, 80% - 90% of the time it would come to absolutely nothing.

Myth 2: We miss his ability to beat a man

Yes, beating a man is also a great asset for a player to have. The problem is you can beat three men, but if you then kick the ball out for a throw in, you might as well have kicked the ball out for a throw in before you beat three men, and saved yourself 30 seconds.

Myth 3: His pace drags defenders out of position and caused panic

No it doesn't. Once again if you look back at his non exsistent ability to pass the ball 5 yards, you can cause all the panic in the world, but it's not very dangerous if you can't/won't pass the ball to a team mate who is exploiting the space.

He couldn't pass, he couldn't cross, he couldn't shoot, and his decision making was even worse than Murphy's.

Please ladies and gentlemen, enough.

Since he went back how many games we won? How many goals we scored?

Don't know if you were there Saturday but we could have done with him. We had nothing going forward

Hobo

Myth no 4. Every time he got the ball he lost it; gave it away, kicked it out for a throw in, kicked it out for a corner.

He obviously isn't the only reason for our dip in form. It may have happened with him here. But he offered an option we haven't got anymore. Also our fight back against Peterborough with Murphy coming to life was very much down Kent coming on. Without Kent drawing players Murphy would not have been allowed to get one on one with the fullback. Double marked in the first half Murphy was ineffective, as he was against Burton where he was once again double marked.

Kent had a lot of flaws, but then so have all our players. We are in League 1 after all.

Grendel

Myth number 5; our decline in form has nothing to do with the Cole Experiment and the hapless Bigiamara.

Macca

Still disagree with OP. I witnessed him causing uncertainty in the opposition defence. Agree with the Grendmeister that Bigi and Cole were an unnecesary move

Gazolba

Everything that was wrong with Kent can be corrected with coaching. However, what Kent has that our other players don't cannot be taught with coaching. So on that basis, I say he is/was an asset.

stupot07

Since he went back how many games we won? How many goals we scored?

Don't know if you were there Saturday but we could have done with him. We had nothing going forward

He's only been gone 3 games, he played in 7 of this disastrous 10 game run we've been on. It's too simplistic to say Kent missing = us only picking up 1 point in those games. We scored 5 vs Crewe with him sat on the bench in his last appearance for us.

We have won other games with Kent on the bench, we've also won when he's been on international duty. That's not saying I wouldn't have liked to keep him, I think he'd give us another option and pace.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

Last edited:

Great_Expectations

I would say we are missing an attacking, pacey winger, with the ability to take players on, rather than Kent himself.

If Murphy is having a poor game and we want to replace him, there is no alternative. It's the same scenario if we want to start with two quick wide men.

We need a pacey, attacking winger, be it Kent himself (despite his frustrating lack of end product) or another youngster with the required attributes.

KG7

We miss his directness, his energy and his ability to get us up the pitch from a defensive position. Yes it was annoying when he lost the ball and made the wrong decision but I think he was invaluable in relieving pressure and exerting it on the opposition. How much pressure did we put on Burton or Southend? Zero. (Pressure isn't passing it sideways in front of them)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hobo

Not sure how useful pace is against a team camped in their own box as Southend were for most of the second half.

For me here lies an important difference between Murphy and Kent. Murphy likes to get on the last man, knock the ball into the space behind and use his pace to run onto it. If teams double up on him or sit deep he seems to struggle. Kent however is more of a dribbler and is prepared to drive into the penalty area often drawing two or three players to him creating space for others. Kent could panic defences.

I think both players have individual strengths as well as flaws. Until an alternative comes in I think we were stronger with Kent in the squad.

Last edited:

Oz Howie

Have to question why TM didn't see Elson Hooi (the Dutch youngster) as the obvious alternative. Has he got someone else in the pipeline? If he has we need him in the squad quick.

rupert_bear

Have to question why TM didn't see Elson Hooi (the Dutch youngster) as the obvious alternative. Has he got someone else in the pipeline? If he has we need him in the squad quick.
Have 6 days to sort it or will we see another we tried but "couldn't get them over the line excuse"

Otis

Wonder if we are indeed interested in someone else, as alluded to by Hooi, but that if that then falls through we would go back in for him.

Is that possible? TM did say he liked him during his trial.

ClarkeZ

I agree with OP. I always have and this has divided us City fans all along.
While he has good attributes, can dribble and beat players, his lack of end product hurt us.

Hobo was right in come aspects that he did relieve a bit of pressure and could drive towards goal, but while watching him, as soon as he was on the ball I would always be looking at the defence thinking about the counter attack when he lost it, it was just too frequent.

I think with the right coaching attention he could become a good player, however for a team trying to push into automatic promotion places we need someone who can do it now, not in the future. Potential wont win us games and get us promoted. And with Maddison looking like he's heading somewhere by the summer at least, Fleck being watched constantly and a slim chance of Arma coming back if we aren't in the Championship, we really must go up this year or I can see us floundering again for some time.

mechaishida

Kent served a purpose, but he was far too raw to make waves, even at this level. Very, very talented boy though.

I'd have him back any day, but then I'd also have another winger who can actually ping a cross in.

TM has his work cut out to bring the right players in, but rest assured, he's doing all he can. I hope all this hush surrounding the club's transfer news is positive.

rupert_bear

Kent is a rookie in his first season ever as a first teamer he will improve with age so maybe look again at him next season, but not again mow

Hobo

Kent served a purpose, but he was far too raw to make waves, even at this level. Very, very talented boy though.

I'd have him back any day, but then I'd also have another winger who can actually ping a cross in.

TM has his work cut out to bring the right players in, but rest assured, he's doing all he can. I hope all this hush surrounding the club's transfer news is positive.

You touch on a good point here about requirements and doing all he can. It could be he knows what he wants but can't quite identify the player (as in available) who can deliver. As he says once it is spent it is spent. Perhaps he is hoping someone who wasnt available last week gets freed up by the transfer activity of another club or clubs.

NorthernWisdom

Wonder if we are indeed interested in someone else, as alluded to by Hooi, but that if that then falls through we would go back in for him.

Is that possible? TM did say he liked him during his trial.

Managers tend not to say that 'OMG he's utter shite, can't believe they managed to string together enough clips on youtube for me to even look at him, what was I THINKING?!?' though.

Captain Dart

Myth number 5; our decline in form has nothing to do with the Cole Experiment and the hapless Bigiamara.

Don't agree with the way this has been expressed, but I do think it is fair to say team changes have made the team far less effective and TM has to analyse the reasons and fix the problem soon as possible, that's his job! I have to question whether the budget has been spent as wisely as earlier in the season.

shy_tall_knight

I'd give him another go, recognise his current limitations but is still only 19. Wasn't there on saturday but doesn't sound like we created much and if all he has is pace, that front 4 of Marcus JOB Cole & Hunt - is extremely slow and would surely benefi from some additional pace.

stevefloyd

I agree with OP. I always have and this has divided us City fans all along.
While he has good attributes, can dribble and beat players, his lack of end product hurt us.

Hobo was right in come aspects that he did relieve a bit of pressure and could drive towards goal, but while watching him, as soon as he was on the ball I would always be looking at the defence thinking about the counter attack when he lost it, it was just too frequent.

I think with the right coaching attention he could become a good player, however for a team trying to push into automatic promotion places we need someone who can do it now, not in the future. Potential wont win us games and get us promoted. And with Maddison looking like he's heading somewhere by the summer at least, Fleck being watched constantly and a slim chance of Arma coming back if we aren't in the Championship, we really must go up this year or I can see us floundering again for some time.

I would imagine Liverpool have some decent coaches and would have tried to coach a little more into Kent or is it a leave them alone to flourish for a start then coach discipline into them...hmmm I can't see that to be fair, obviously he isn't the finished package but unless he starts improving on his final ball his career may not be as great as it could be ....hope I am wrong with him because he has great skills

shy_tall_knight

Whilst Kent is on the pitch the threat is there whilst recognising it hasn't worked to date he is an alternative especially when Murphy & AA are missing, we can look very slow moving the ball around in the middle of the park.

stevefloyd

But we do have Fleck who can pick a pass but if all he has to aim at is Armstrong its not really hard to nullify that by the opposition

Users who are viewing this thread