Salary cap next season? (1 Viewer)

Winny the Bish

better days

League One and League Two clubs join forces to urge EFL to ntroduce salary caps | Daily Mail Online

A synopsis:

• EFL clubs are struggling to make ends meet due to the coronavirus pandemic
  • Clubs from League One and League Two have been holding remote meetings
  • John Radford, the chairman of Mansfield Town, has taken the lead on discussions
  • A group of 34 clubs have written to the EFL to suggest a salary cap be introduced
Salary caps for individuals have previously been impossible because player's agents ran off to the EU to say they were against EU employment law
That's why overall salary caps per club had to be introduced
As we have left the EU this may not be the case in the future
And in any case the myriad EU restrictions will be lucky to survive in their current form as some of the southern members feel they were abandoned by the richer northern countries when the virus hit them

rob9872

Dreadful idea. Punishes the players at the top, but not the dross at the bottom. They gave the contracts out and should have been smart enough to put clauses in that protect themselves for the unforeseen.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

League One and League Two clubs join forces to urge EFL to ntroduce salary caps | Daily Mail Online

A synopsis:

• John Radford, the chairman of Mansfield Town, has taken the lead on discussions
  • A group of 34 clubs have written to the EFL to suggest a salary cap be introduced

That's a can of worms the government will not want to open in any way, shape or form. You bring in salary caps for football who's to stop them arguing "bring one in for bankers" or "bring one in for executives" etc. If not you're just picking on footballers (who in my opinion are overpaid). You'd probably see a few go abroad if they could earn more over there.The EU regulations have been mentioned but given that we're one of the more rabid free-market exponents within Europe I can't see us being the ones to go against it (even though I know it exists in US sports)

It'd be interesting undoubtedly - evening the league out so it'd be based on how good your scouting/recruitment is. But if it's just on individual salaries you could employ a hundred players on the max salary and still be fucked financially

If you bring in a league salary cap you'll get those who have higher revenue from crowds complain they're being put at a disadvantage as they can't use that. Or on the other hand those clubs make higher profits and the executives pay themselves hefty bonuses for a job well done, which isn't going to please the players. Plus they'll be looking for ways to get around it (i.e. give them separate contracts for image rights, community work off the pitch etc). Again, this could be interesting as to recruitment - can you get a decent squad on lesser wages individually or go for a small squad of high earners and risk injuries/suspensions?

I think the percentage of income thing is probably about the right way to go about it, but it could be more stringently enforced and player contracts more 'performance' based. i.e. basic wage for all based on known income like TV money then end of season bonuses based on gate revenues, prize money etc divided among the squad based on playing time.

Legia Sky Blue

Ridiculous idea and impossible to manage. It would result in a lot of underhand practices and exchanges of undeclared payments in order to bypass it by those with deeper pockets. Better to keep things as they are - if clubs don't want to overstretch themselves then they should start by simply abiding by existing FFP regulations, rather than flouting them, and taking individual responsibility.

Danceswithhorses

A synopsis:

That will be bad/unpopular for 'big' clubs in lower divisions, like say...Sunderland.....so i'm in :happy:
What they are paying Will Grigg et al could fund an entire club

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

I misunderstood the plan
It's an overall salary cap for each club not per player

The only way I can see this being agreed is if the entire season is BCD so no gate revenue. But even then if each club has things like ifollow then the clubs with more fans will be losing out.

Plus what if you've got a long term project with players on multi-year deals and they already go above that cap, even though you could afford to pay them? Do you have to sell some to keep with the limits?

Users who are viewing this thread