School unisex toilet attack (1 Viewer)

Ian1779

We have them in our school - but unisex is maybe the wrong description. They are floor to ceiling cubicles in an open plan area with sinks so any kids can use any one. The rationale is to reduce bullying and kids with contraband.
The disgusting shitbag involved should be permanently excluded, for both the assault and the intent to take a picture of someone in a cubicle.

Ian1779

The school aren’t dealing with the issues of cubicles being damaged and providing a safe and fit for purpose environment for students.
Any kids booting doors and damaging locks need to be severely sanctioned and made an example of.

Brighton Sky Blue

We have them in our school - but unisex is maybe the wrong description. They are floor to ceiling cubicles in an open plan area with sinks so any kids can use any one. The rationale is to reduce bullying and kids with contraband.
The disgusting shitbag involved should be permanently excluded, for both the assault and the intent to take a picture of someone in a cubicle.
I'd bet he just gets a few days internal suspension

clint van damme

The school aren’t dealing with the issues of cubicles being damaged and providing a safe and fit for purpose environment for students.
Any kids booting doors and damaging locks need to be severely sanctioned and made an example of.

I'd imagine taking photos of people in the toilets is in effect some sort of sex crime, not something a kid wants following them around for the rest of their life but putting them in this situation and expecting them to act responsibly is a tall order.

Brighton Sky Blue

I'd imagine taking photos of people in the toilets is in effect some sort of sex crime, not something a kid wants following them around for the rest of their life but putting them in this situation and expecting them to act responsibly is a tall order.
It's in the same bracket as 'upskirting' which is a real problem in my school. Not seen anyone permanently excluded for it yet.

Ian1779

It says the cubicles are floor to ceiling so it goes beyond the idea of ‘acting responsibly’ - any attempt to go in is pre-meditated.

And yes it is a sex crime which could see them put on the Sex Offenders register as the victim is a minor.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

This must immensely traumatic for the girl in question and no-one should be put through something like that.

On the whole I've suggested individual cubicles as a solution to the safety vs identity dilemma but I was mainly considering it in adult spaces rather than schools.

With schools I can definitely see the argument for separate given the immaturity etc. of those involved. On the other the sooner they become accustomed to it the sooner it would seem a normal arrangement and respect shown. I'm sure the vast majority of kids are respectful of everyone and their privacy but a few dickheads won't. But the same could be said of adults. I'd say I know a fair few kids who would seem to be more mature than a number of adults.

I think the kid involved should most definitely be treated as a example including being regarded as a sex offender, both to hopefully change his behaviour in future and act as a warning/deterrent to others.

So on the whole I'd say I'm not against the schools having individual cubicles that are unisex. However, aligned with it must be education that these spaces are private for those using them and showing the huge punishment that comes with not respecting that. And, most importantly, enforcing them to their full extent should an incidence arise.

As much as this incident sickens me, my biggest fear is that the perpetrator won't be dealt with in the harshest possible terms. If they're just given a smacked wrist then it could lead to more in future.

Brighton Sky Blue

This must immensely traumatic for the girl in question and no-one should be put through something like that.

On the whole I've suggested individual cubicles as a solution to the safety vs identity dilemma but I was mainly considering it in adult spaces rather than schools.

With schools I can definitely see the argument for separate given the immaturity etc. of those involved. On the other the sooner they become accustomed to it the sooner it would seem a normal arrangement and respect shown. I'm sure the vast majority of kids are respectful of everyone and their privacy but a few dickheads won't. But the same could be said of adults. I'd say I know a fair few kids who would seem to be more mature than a number of adults.

I think the kid involved should most definitely be treated as a example including being regarded as a sex offender, both to hopefully change his behaviour in future and act as a warning/deterrent to others.

So on the whole I'd say I'm not against the schools having individual cubicles that are unisex. However, aligned with it must be education that these spaces are private for those using them and showing the huge punishment that comes with not respecting that. And, most importantly, enforcing them to their full extent should an incidence arise.

As much as this incident sickens me, my biggest fear is that the perpetrator won't be dealt with in the harshest possible terms. If they're just given a smacked wrist then it could lead to more in future.
The honest truth is that they will most likely not be permanently excluded. For reasons such as it costing the school money to exclude, or triggering an Ofsted inspection, or some other reason which should matter far less than making an example of a literal sex offender.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

The honest truth is that they will most likely not be permanently excluded. For reasons such as it costing the school money to exclude, or triggering an Ofsted inspection, or some other reason which should matter far less than making an example of a literal sex offender.
I want to give this both a like and sad reaction.

Why do people and organisations never look to the long term? They'd be afraid of the inspection, money etc if they exclude the student, but how bad would the inspection etc be if being lenient led to another incident? Or two? or three?

You nip bad behaviour in the bud, regardless of how inconvenient it is, otherwise you'll be dealing with it more and more later on.

Brighton Sky Blue

I want to give this both a like and sad reaction.

Why do people and organisations never look to the long term? They'd be afraid of the inspection, money etc if they exclude the student, but how bad would the inspection etc be if being lenient led to another incident? Or two? or three?

You nip bad behaviour in the bud, regardless of how inconvenient it is, otherwise you'll be dealing with it more and more later on.

I think the extra negative publicity in this particular case will produce a stronger punishment. I would say in each year of teaching I have reported racist behaviour and comments, all the way up to just calling people the n-word in lessons. On no occasion has the offender been excluded and in fact only once were they suspended.

But I have still had colleagues lose their jobs over getting nationalities wrong. Why? Because excluding a student costs money, but forcing out an experienced teacher saves it.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

I think the extra negative publicity in this particular case will produce a stronger punishment. I would say in each year of teaching I have reported racist behaviour and comments, all the way up to just calling people the n-word in lessons. On no occasion has the offender been excluded and in fact only once were they suspended.

But I have still had colleagues lose their jobs over getting nationalities wrong. Why? Because excluding a student costs money, but forcing out an experienced teacher saves it.
Sadly I think you're right. If you want something done about it you have to make sure it gets aired outside of the school hierarchy, who will attempt to hush it up if at all possible.

But then we're into the realms of social media and the possibility of false allegations ruining innocent people's lives.

shmmeee

It's in the same bracket as 'upskirting' which is a real problem in my school. Not seen anyone permanently excluded for it yet.

Ridiculous what schools will brush under the carpet to kee the books looking healthy. I don’t want selection by the back door like it used to be, but there should be some minimum sentencing for sexual and violent crimes IMO.

Macca1987

The little scrote should be excluded, however the school in question should take some responsibility, it mentioned that all the locks had been broken on the doors in above incident, been kicked in, and reported several times, where's the good old caretaker in this situation, another post probably that went the way of cuts

JAM See

What's wrong with unisex toilets?

shmmeee

What's wrong with unisex toilets?

Increases risk for women, also reduces toilet space as everything needs to be cubicles which often means you get men’s and unisex, in schools in particular toilets are not policed well enough to account for teenage boys.

JAM See

Increases risks for women.

There's your problem right there. As a society, we seem to accept that the symptoms of male misogynist behaviour should be treated, rather than the cause.

Ian1779

Increases risk for women, also reduces toilet space as everything needs to be cubicles which often means you get men’s and unisex, in schools in particular toilets are not policed well enough to account for teenage boys.
There is an interesting point here, if as a school you move to a model of cubicles with open plan sinks etc then you should also be including in that a plan to ‘police’ them as you have said. Whether that means appropriate use of CCTV or by regular staff monitoring (or more likely a combination of the two)

shmmeee

There is an interesting point here, if as a school you move to a model of cubicles with open plan sinks etc then you should also be including in that a plan to ‘police’ them as you have said. Whether that means appropriate use of CCTV or by regular staff monitoring (or more likely a combination of the two)

I think as we said earlier the main issue is getting schools to take physical and sexual assault seriously.

napolimp

The little scrote should be excluded, however the school in question should take some responsibility, it mentioned that all the locks had been broken on the doors in above incident, been kicked in, and reported several times, where's the good old caretaker in this situation, another post probably that went the way of cuts

Interesting point. My wife works in a school and says they have 2 caretaker vacancies out of 4 positions, both have been advertised widely for over a year and no one wants the job. There's a real shortage of workers in this country right now, and I think a lot of people don't realise it.

It's going to reach crisis point, they're going to have to either get people out of retirement, or bring younger people into the country who are willing to do lower paid jobs.

Brighton Sky Blue

Interesting point. My wife works in a school and says they have 2 caretaker vacancies out of 4 positions, both have been advertised widely for over a year and no one wants the job. There's a real shortage of workers in this country right now, and I think a lot of people don't realise it.

It's going to reach crisis point, they're going to have to either get people out of retirement, or bring younger people into the country who are willing to do lower paid jobs.

My school have cottoned on that I am applying outside of the profession and have tried enticing me to stay. Too little too late I’m afraid

Users who are viewing this thread